PDA

View Full Version : Every one is holding back..

nobagger
03-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Man, I wish there was a dealine for commercial props. to get bids back. We bid on a few properties weeks, and weeks ago and of course they had to have them that week so they could make their decision soon....right, 4-6 weeks later- "we're still reviewing them check back next week" I hate the games they play! I actually told one property manager to remove us from the bidding process or add 15% to the total bill. Give me 5 good residential customer's to 10 commercial props. any day!

cward
03-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Nobagger, here's an idea for you. Put a note on your estimate that the bid is only valid until a certain date. Be reasonable about the time though. I've been in your shoes and it stinks trying to leave spots open for the bid you are waiting to hear back from. Let alone the scheduling nightmare they can become from waiting so long to award the bid.

nobagger
03-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Nobagger, here's an idea for you. Put a note on your estimate that the bid is only valid until a certain date. Be reasonable about the time though. I've been in your shoes and it stinks trying to leave spots open for the bid you are waiting to hear back from. Let alone the scheduling nightmare they can become from waiting so long to award the bid.

We have a deadline date but I gave very, very competetive prices this year and I dont want to run into the situation of getting too much work to the point that I cant handle it. I guess I could just turn the rest down, but I hate waiting.

DuraCutter
03-22-2007, 02:32 AM
Man, I wish there was a dealine for commercial props. to get bids back. We bid on a few properties weeks, and weeks ago and of course they had to have them that week so they could make their decision soon....right, 4-6 weeks later- "we're still reviewing them check back next week" I hate the games they play! I actually told one property manager to remove us from the bidding process or add 15% to the total bill. Give me 5 good residential customer's to 10 commercial props. any day!

I get the same waiting game from my property managers. Some are quick, but most wait, and sometimes it's because the condos don't have meetings more than once a month, or someone gets sick etc... it's non stop waiting and I'm used to it now. After a while, it becomes second nature just like the way some of them pay. lol. I will sometimes wait for 4 months to get paid.

Most are 30 days, but waiting seems the name of the game with managers and commercial. Good money though.

:)

ncls
03-22-2007, 02:59 AM
It could be to your benefit to have enough estimates out there, that you have to turn down the stragglers. Over-bid yourself. First come, first serve. To sit by the phone hoping you get work is not the way to run a business.

As long as you didn't have to put up a percentage of the bid as a guarantee, the hell with them. If you politely tell them, you already accepted as many new clients as you can handle, and you would have loved to service the property, if only they would have let you know earlier, you should keep the door open for the future.

scchamblee
03-22-2007, 08:02 AM
I have an apartment complex I bid on a month ago and me and the manager have been back and forth every week he says he will ook at it tommorrow and see where we are at on it (they are historicaly cheap). He told me last week to come cut what needed cutting and send them a bill, so we will see how this turns out. It took me and one helper 7 hours to do it, plus I went back the next day to touch up for 2 more hoursand I am sendin a bill for $500 ($31.50/man hour). Is this ureasonable?

nobagger
03-22-2007, 08:15 AM
I have an apartment complex I bid on a month ago and me and the manager have been back and forth every week he says he will ook at it tommorrow and see where we are at on it (they are historicaly cheap). He told me last week to come cut what needed cutting and send them a bill, so we will see how this turns out. It took me and one helper 7 hours to do it, plus I went back the next day to touch up for 2 more hoursand I am sendin a bill for $500 ($31.50/man hour). Is this ureasonable?

All I can tell you is bid what you need to bid. A guy told me a few years ago, and this was some of the best advise anyone has ever givin me, "bid what you need to bid in order to make a decent profit, it doesnt matter what I'm bidding or any other company bids" IMO, who cares if you bid a property that went for 5k a month and you come in at 2k as long as you are making money no ones loosing. I hate it when I hear "damn lowballer's, they left 3k on the table" how the hell do you know what the other guys are bidding unless you have some inside sources. Every place I've ever bid wont tell you squat as far as money they spend for mowing etc. Ive stuck by this advise for 4 years now and I'm sure we've come in low on some and high on others but who cares it's my bid, I cant help the fact that XYZ Mowing has 1 million in overhead and has to charge 75 bucks an hour per guy and I'm at 35. So like I said just bid what you need to bid!

Tim Wright
03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Sounds to me like they are playing the fiddle agains the bow with last years lco to get them to drop their price.

Tim

Buckeye Lawncare
03-22-2007, 05:14 PM
I have been waiting since the end of January for one of my commercial bids. I really want to get it, but it does not look like I will get it now that it almost April. I have called a couple times and it goes straight to voicemail, atleast let me know if I got it or not.

LwnmwrMan22
03-22-2007, 08:03 PM
You need to have your competitive price listed that it's good until February 15th. Every 10 days thereafter, the price increases 5%.

I dropped a $12,000 / year mowing account last year because they waited until March 28th to call and set up a meeting to go over the account.

This is a Wal-Mart that I'd been doing for 7 years.

It's the 4th manager that I'd dealt with in the 7 years, the 3rd in the last 3 years.

I told them flat out that I was not interested in the account anymore, that I had already filled the spot on the schedule.

I didn't, but I was tired of playing the game, I'd had enough.

I had called the manager every other week, since the beginning of January, saying I'd like to get together, or if she could just review the bid, and get back to me, that I would appreciate knowing my amounts of fertilizer / weed control I needed to budget for.

On the bid, the first line, in typeset 50% bigger than the rest, boldfaced, in red, it said "this bid is to the same specifications and pricing as the previous year".

There was no real reason to read the rest, it was right off of Wal-Marts' requirements.

Anyways, I'm to the point now, that if they don't respond within a week, I just tell them I'm no longer interested.

There's so many people that are happy with the work you're doing for them, that they don't care to get someone else, or even take bids, so why play the game??

topsites
03-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Don't feel too bad, my phone is ringing but a lot of my residential callers are playing games, too. It's still early, the demand hasn't hit yet, at least in virginia the grass hasn't got going right yet either, this type of thing is, unfortunately, normal this time of year.

But yeah, I find it frustrating, too. Got to the point, someone calls for a free (written) estimate, I save myself the trip out there lol, but it wears on the nerves, I know what you mean. Way I see things, be glad to estimate and tell you how much I would charge, and the customer is welcome to shop around on me but I'll be if I'm submitting it in writing, it just doesn't make sense for regular lawn care.

Perhaps the good news is, if we're getting this many calls now, imagine what this could mean in another week or so.
I think the early time change throws me off a bit, too, it really is still march lol.

crzymow
03-22-2007, 11:48 PM
if you are going to set a date then raise the price a certain % each week after that, you might as well stay with residential. You arent going to force commercial places into rushing into anything, they have or can have guys lined up to give them bids.

nobagger
03-26-2007, 08:17 AM
if you are going to set a date then raise the price a certain % each week after that, you might as well stay with residential. You arent going to force commercial places into rushing into anything, they have or can have guys lined up to give them bids.

Very good point, Mow, whats it look like so far this year? We actually scaled down but with better customers lined up. I think we have eliminated all of our deadbeats and slow payers this year (hopefully). See ya around.