PDA

View Full Version : Phone book advertising question...

nobagger
03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Of those who use the phone book for advertising how well do larger ad's work. For the past few years we have been advertising in our local phone book but with only a bold one liner (name and phone #) with minimal results. We do a ton of work for a fert. company so we really didnt need to advertise. But latley the refferals they have been sending us are weak at best so now I see the need to do more for ourselves and not rely on some one else for customer's. The one liner is big bucks IMO, but a larger ad is quite a bit more but its worth it to me if it gets me decent, more-so commercial customer's than residential.

Dstosh
03-21-2007, 06:37 PM
I dont know how much you are paying, But I paid somewhere arround 470 for the year for like a 1" by 1". I Have gained a few customers for it. Last year was my first year, and it didnt come out until June. We will see how it goes this year. The two calls I have gotten this year so far are from the PB. I say go for it. I dont know if you need a huge 6" x 6" but maybe just a smaller one.

TKO Landscaping
03-21-2007, 06:40 PM
From my experience with the phone book I usually get more work from residential than commercial. It is pricey for the larger ads. Its $121 a month for being listed under one heading and $158 for two (Yellow Book). I use a quarter colunm ad. In the Verizon phone book i pay $42 a month for one section of our county for one heading and its $84 for two sections (i also use a quarter column ad). I usually get more work fom people that just moved in and don't know anyone in the area from the phone books. Also you may have missed the deadline for getting put in usually they mail them starting in May. Hope this Helps

jbell113
03-21-2007, 07:34 PM
I have a one liner ad in one book. $ 168 a year
A 1/8 of a page ad in a smaller book. $ 550 a year
A 4 color ad in a county book. $ 168 a year

The first and third ad are bell south yellow pages and the second ad is a privately owned company. With these ads I cant keep up with all of my phone calls. Each ad has paid for itself many times over.

jeffscap
03-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Of those who use the phone book for advertising how well do larger ad's work. For the past few years we have been advertising in our local phone book but with only a bold one liner (name and phone #) with minimal results. We do a ton of work for a fert. company so we really didnt need to advertise. But latley the refferals they have been sending us are weak at best so now I see the need to do more for ourselves and not rely on some one else for customer's. The one liner is big bucks IMO, but a larger ad is quite a bit more but its worth it to me if it gets me decent, more-so commercial customer's than residential.

[QUOTE]Nobagger[Every one is holding back..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nobagger
Man, I wish there was a dealine for commercial props. to get bids back. We bid on a few properties weeks, and weeks ago and of course they had to have them that week so they could make their decision soon....right, 4-6 weeks later- "we're still reviewing them check back next week" I hate the games they play! I actually told one property manager to remove us from the bidding process or add 15% to the total bill. Give me 5 good residential customer's to 10 commercial props. any day!__________________
J and B Lawncare:

On our own as of 2002
yrs of experience: 11

06 F250XLT SUPER DUTY w/Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
05' 8.5x16 Enclosed US CARGO Trailer loaded with all kinds of goodies like Exmark, Toro, Echo, Sthil and Little Wonder.
/QUOTE]

That Doesn't make sense or even cents.

mythntr
03-21-2007, 09:56 PM
we have several dex ads and they are well worth it. You can customize the payment plan to reflect when the money is coming in. We dont pay in dec., Jan, Feb., and march.

Myk
03-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't know about you guys but when I look in the yellow pages for anything the ads I look at first are the picture ones descrbing their work unless I already know who I'm looking for but like last night I was looking for a company to sub out some fertilizing I only got the numbers that advertised it in their ad the one liners I didn't call due to time and wasn't sure what they offered. hope this helps

BobcatBoy06
03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
I would try other forms of advertisement before you go bigger with the phone book, I mean the phone book works but it keeps you tied up for 12 months and its the same 132.30 for us every month for the one book, and then you have the other two books that would be another few hundred to have your ad in those books. How do you know what book to choose? Which book are your customers looking at. I would run ads in the local paper, with some kind of call you auction, like have something in the ad thats makes the people that see your add get up off their butts and give you a call. Skill keep you ad in the book so that if people see your trucks out working they can go to the book and see you number.

nobagger
03-22-2007, 07:58 AM
[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Nobagger[Every one is holding back..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nobagger
Man, I wish there was a dealine for commercial props. to get bids back. We bid on a few properties weeks, and weeks ago and of course they had to have them that week so they could make their decision soon....right, 4-6 weeks later- "we're still reviewing them check back next week" I hate the games they play! I actually told one property manager to remove us from the bidding process or add 15% to the total bill. Give me 5 good residential customer's to 10 commercial props. any day!__________________
J and B Lawncare:

On our own as of 2002
yrs of experience: 11

06 F250XLT SUPER DUTY w/Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
05' 8.5x16 Enclosed US CARGO Trailer loaded with all kinds of goodies like Exmark, Toro, Echo, Sthil and Little Wonder.
/QUOTE]

That Doesn't make sense or even cents.

My whole point to the waiting post was that I hate waiting for bids to come back and usually residential customers either sign right there or get back to you within a week. ---
The second post was asking if a larger sized ad gets bigger, better customers in general, I'm not saying I dont want commercial accounts but ones that are in need and those IMO wont wait a month and a half to get back to you because they came looking for you. I guess I can see how you would get confused going back and reading it over again.

jeffscap
03-22-2007, 10:22 AM
My whole point to the waiting post was that I hate waiting for bids to come back and usually residential customers either sign right there or get back to you within a week. ---
The second post was asking if a larger sized ad gets bigger, better customers in general, I'm not saying I dont want commercial accounts but ones that are in need and those IMO wont wait a month and a half to get back to you because they came looking for you. I guess I can see how you would get confused going back and reading it over again.

Thanks for clearing that up:) Just a small point to make in the Erie area bigger ads don't bring in better or bigger accounts. as far as advertising small
repetitive ads in small papers are the best to start,the phone book ads are a costly addition to the budget that don't always pay off. :waving:

slammin
03-23-2007, 01:24 AM
I've talked to a few people in my area, (CT) and opinion I've gotten is PB ads draw a lot of "tirekickers". People will call "looking for a price", just interested in the cheapest guy of the 5 they call. I want customers who think paying more is worth the service they receive. What are PB ad users experiences here at LS?

ArizPestWeed
03-23-2007, 04:24 AM
I've talked to a few people in my area, (CT) and opinion I've gotten is PB ads draw a lot of "tirekickers". People will call "looking for a price", just interested in the cheapest guy of the 5 they call. I want customers who think paying more is worth the service they receive. What are PB ad users experiences here at LS?

The YP ad is designed to generate calls , it's up to you to close the deal.
It's your job to connect with the caller and sell them the service .

I had a small ad in '05 .
In '06 I went to a full pager , paid for it's self in 3 months .
It came out last May.
However , it's out now at the start of this season and I am getting calls already .
It has made a big difference for me , cost - $1K a month .

You could always test the market, use different phone numbers in the ad,
and if it don't work out , cancel , you wont lose your main phone numbers

LawnsRUsInc.
03-24-2007, 11:03 AM
We spend a total of $1220 a month on YP i have been doing it for 3 years. My one liner for people thinking about it is "go big or stay home" Your not going to get the calls you want if your trying to grow your co. with only a in column ad. we recieve about 300 calls a month for april may and june from the book. I track every call that comes in and i have found that yes it sucks to pay the bill but it works good.

If you feel your getting tire kickers from it you need to screen them out better.

I had a guy with 25 years of sales experiance come in and show and tell us how to screen people over the phone so your not chasing all over the topics were:

Service area
Did you have a service before
Did you get any other estimates

If you advertise larger i feel that you are going to get more larger clients that feel your larger and you can handle them. Last year i recieved calls from 17 office buildings 2 schools and 3 condo associations out of those i worked on them and worked on them till they said YES Last year the YP helped recieve the calls and i sold the jobs which made me achieve another crew for maint.

Josh.S
03-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I had a small ad in '05 .
In '06 I went to a full pager , paid for it's self in 3 months .
It came out last May.
However , it's out now at the start of this season and I am getting calls already .
It has made a big difference for me , cost - $1K a month .

What close rate do you have for the calls you receive?

We spend a total of $1220 a month on YP i have been doing it for 3 years. My one liner for people thinking about it is "go big or stay home" Your not going to get the calls you want if your trying to grow your co. with only a in column ad. we recieve about 300 calls a month for april may and june from the book. I track every call that comes in and i have found that yes it sucks to pay the bill but it works good.

If they have received other estimates and it's not in a good service area, do you turn them down or what? What close rate did you receive for the 300 calls?

Go big or go home is going to be my motto for 2008. I'm planning to setup a residential crew at the end of 07, then I need enough advertising in '08 to fill a schedule for that crew full time. Do you guys think 1 full page YP ad would be sufficient based on your experience? Do you think it would be an overkill? I figured if I did it, and got more customers then what I could handle I would just start jacking prices until I got a 3rd crew setup.

Lawnworks
03-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I agree w/ LawnRus and Arizpestweed... you have to spend money if you want results. It costs me $1300 for two large ads.

Lawnworks
03-25-2007, 10:44 AM

Cheap ads generate cheap calls.

Lawnworks
03-25-2007, 10:45 AM
I would try other forms of advertisement before you go bigger with the phone book, I mean the phone book works but it keeps you tied up for 12 months and its the same 132.30 for us every month for the one book, and then you have the other two books that would be another few hundred to have your ad in those books. How do you know what book to choose? Which book are your customers looking at. I would run ads in the local paper, with some kind of call you auction, like have something in the ad thats makes the people that see your add get up off their butts and give you a call. Skill keep you ad in the book so that if people see your trucks out working they can go to the book and see you number.

You are complaining about spending $132 in the PB???? Not exactly a large investment in your business.

LawnsRUsInc.
03-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Mow right yea pre qualify them on the phone so you dont waste your time. Ask your questions first after they stated what they want
About how big is the lawn?
Did you have a service before?
We do only weekly mowings at our discretion!
etc..
Then as where they live and if its not in your city you can say that you dont service that area. that way if its a tire kicker you can go on to the next prospect

The estimates i close are 4 out of 10 i call them back the next day after we talked or the recieved the estimate and ask them if they have any questions.