PDA

View Full Version : Need some stop leak for an old hydro

Ronlawn
03-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I have a leak on the bottom of an Eaton Hydro. Its fan cooled with fin and the pump motor all in one. The control linkage goes up through the bottom and that looks like where the oil is coming from, probably a seal. This is a 94 Toro 724-Z, Model 74140 Ser 49000. Its that mower Wheelhorse copied off of Dixie. I'm selling this unit this spring for under a thousand. Before I discovered the leak my mechanic told me I could go with a heavier oil 40 or 50weight and maybe get a little more life out of it to stop blow by. I was wondering If there was any easy or partial fix for that seal leak with out taking the pump off the mower and taking it apart or something?

Restrorob
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
If you have room to remove the control linkage from the shaft that seal part # 112605 for less than five bucks can be replaced without taking the pump apart.

Ronlawn
03-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks, I ordered that seal yesterday just in case it could be installed with out breaking open the trans. I think I better take the trans off of the mower to try it because its pretty tight under there. But I can't figure out by looking at the diagrams or the unit how to get the trans off. between the two hydros and the gear box in the middle and some round connecting pieces with teeth in them I can't tell which piece can be taken off to make room to unbolt and remove the transmission in question. thanks, ron.