PDA

View Full Version : average family income

extreme lawn care
03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
The average family income for my area is $38,000 in Jackson, Tennessee. How hard is it to get accounts in areas were the income is this low?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Getting them is easy. Sometimes getting them to pay can be the hard part.

mattfromNY
03-21-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm sure your town still has old people that cant do it themselves, lazy people that wont do it themselves, and people that just want a professional job done, or dont have time for it themselves, right?
You should take into consideration, the population. Average is just that.. 'Average'. If you have a population of 100,000, that means 50,000 make more and 50,000 make less. How many properties can you service? You think you can get all 50,000 of them??
You shouldn't have any problem finding accounts.

1cooltreeguy
03-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Getting them is easy. Sometimes getting them to pay can be the hard part.

The only way it is EASY in poor neighborhoods is to lower your price to nothing. I do not even return phone calls if I know the prefix is in a certain area. Very rarely have I found a regular rate paying customer in any poor area.:dancing:

Envy Lawn Service
03-22-2007, 12:50 AM
The average family income for my area is $38,000 in Jackson, Tennessee. How hard is it to get accounts in areas were the income is this low?

It's not easy.

One of the major keys to easier success is location location location.

If you have the option, it's always better to put yourself in a place where it's easier to succeed.

You can succeed in much less ideal areas... it's just a lot harder.
I know this well.

Richard Martin
03-22-2007, 03:09 AM
I'm starting over again this year from scratch in a new area. The median family income is $26,633. Don't let that number fool you though. So far all I've done is pass out about 50 business cards. I've looked at 6 lawns and landed 3 of them. I don't have a clue as to whether or not I'm low balling for the area but I do know how much I have to make and the prices I'm giving out are going to easily allow me to do that. The prices aren't quite as high as I charged in MD but they are high enough to make me happy.

TheKingNJ
03-22-2007, 03:22 AM
all i know is that i cut a couple that has been on unemployment/wellfaire as long as i have been cutting them (3 years now) and they pay my bills everytime except for once, at the end of the year where i didn't get a check till febuary. all i know is they were easier to get money out of then some of my 7 figure income clients. Figures, i live in a democratic state.

F&SLawnCo
03-22-2007, 07:13 AM
I learned very early on that the income of a household does not always mean much. I have customers that make seven figure incomes. They have so much money tied up in there big estates and fancy cars that they have actually had to cancel service because they cannot afford to pay. I also have a customer right now that I would estimate makes maybe 30,000 to 35,000 a year and she pays ontime every week and purchases additional services (mulch, annual color, aerate, fert) alomost every year. This woman is a single mom working at Wal-Mart but she obviously knows how to manage her money.

Sir mowsalot
03-22-2007, 07:32 AM
I learned very early on that the income of a household does not always mean much. I have customers that make seven figure incomes. They have so much money tied up in there big estates and fancy cars that they have actually had to cancel service because they cannot afford to pay. I also have a customer right now that I would estimate makes maybe 30,000 to 35,000 a year and she pays ontime every week and purchases additional services (mulch, annual color, aerate, fert) alomost every year. This woman is a single mom working at Wal-Mart but she obviously knows how to manage her money.

THis has been my experience as well. The blue collar worker types always pay ontime. the 10 cent millionaires are the worst, and so are the indian people(not native americans).