PDA

View Full Version : Poulan 2000 Chainsaw wont start

jhelmick
03-21-2007, 09:51 PM
I have pulled on this thing for the last time..........maybe. I have installed all new fuel lines, cleaned fuel filter, checked for gasket leaks at cylinder and carb., Spark is good...............So when I pull the rope I see some but very little fuel making its way up the fuel line, I have a idea I am losing my vacuum maybe at the crank shaft??? Is this a possibility? If so is it just seals or seals, and bushings or bearings?

Any help appreciated, Thanks in advance

dutch1
03-22-2007, 06:37 AM
If you have gasket/seal leakage, those areas will be oily/dirty. Check for jug gasket leak.

Check the compression. Just a guess, but I'd think it should be at least 90psi and 120 would be good. This is a guess as I am not familiar with Poulan specs. If the compression is OK, pull the muffler and check for exhaust port or muffler blockage. I've not seen many 2 stroke units with leaking crank seals that doesn't also have piston/ring/jug issues from being straight gassed. While you have the muffler off you can check the condition of the jug.

You didn't mention if you rebuilt the carb.

Dutch

thesargent
03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
does your ignition switch work?

MowerMedic77
03-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I would check your crank seals the clutch side will be most common to fail, sometimes I have seen debris from cutting get rapped up in the worm driver they use for the oiler.

FIXDISS
03-22-2007, 04:34 PM
I have pulled on this thing for the last time..........maybe. I have installed all new fuel lines, cleaned fuel filter, checked for gasket leaks at cylinder and carb., Spark is good...............So when I pull the rope I see some but very little fuel making its way up the fuel line, I have a idea I am losing my vacuum maybe at the crank shaft??? Is this a possibility? If so is it just seals or seals, and bushings or bearings?

Any help appreciated, Thanks in advance
Did you clean the carb ? Could be there is a drop of water in it or maybe that little screen is coated or "varnished" over from sitting with fuel in it. Could also be the diaphram in carb. If you can shoot just a short burst of carb cleaner or penetrating oil in throat of carb and get her to fire then I would clean carb 1st then if no luck try a carb kit. Don't want to offend anyone just thought it could be something simpler than crank seals.

FIXDISS
03-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Oh ! Welcome to LAWNSITE !!! :waving:

scottr 2006
03-22-2007, 05:56 PM
I would check your crank seals the clutch side will be most common to fail, sometimes I have seen debris from cutting get rapped up in the worm driver they use for the oiler.

The Poulan 2000 uses crankcase pulses to pressurize the oil tank to oil the chain . About 10 drops of fuel mix down the carb should work to fire it up .

jhelmick
03-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Thank you all for help, Several things I know of are: I removed the carb and feel very little vacuum if any at the intake to the crankcase when I pull, also I do have fire at the plug with ignition switch on, Have not rebuilt carb yet....did not feel this was my current problem since there is no vacuum, pulled the plug and compression is good on the top end, I feel it almost has to be crank seals.

MowerMedic77
03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
The Poulan 2000 uses crankcase pulses to pressurize the oil tank to oil the chain .

You are probably right, so many Poulan models so little time to remember which one has what:dizzy:

I was going by the oil pump kit #530-071259/530-069957
states it fits models 1950 thru 2550 and 221,220,260 pro.

scottr 2006
03-23-2007, 09:52 PM
You are probably right, so many Poulan models so little time to remember which one has what:dizzy:

I was going by the oil pump kit #530-071259/530-069957
states it fits models 1950 thru 2550 and 221,220,260 pro.

The 1800 and the 2000 are both horizontal cylinders that use the check valve that pressurizes the oil tank . The newer vertical cylinders engines use the oil pump . I forgot to mention that the original poster could get an idea of his compression by trying to hold the saw up by the starter rope . If it slowly winds down he should have enough compression to start his saw . Also check the carb gasket where the impulse hole is for the diaphram pump .

MowerMedic77
03-24-2007, 07:15 AM
The 1800 and the 2000 are both horizontal cylinders that use the check valve that pressurizes the oil tank . The newer vertical cylinders engines use the oil pump .

Good info, thanks:)

jhelmick
03-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Finally getting a chance to look some more at the posts.....I can hold the saw up via the rope, I feel good compression with plug removed on the top end, just the lower end dont have what I feel much vacuum, I even removed the pull rope housing and spun the crank counterclockwise with a drill and only then did I feel much vacuum, I have gave it a small shot of starting fluid and it will fire and rev up for a second or two before dying, and I dont see fuel moving trough the fuel line as I should at that point, Have yet to locate the screen in the carb or the gasket for the impulse hole.

FIXDISS
03-25-2007, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=, Have yet to locate the screen in the carb or the gasket for the impulse hole.[/QUOTE]

I just looked at a Poulan 1800 I have and it should be about the same as your 2000, That should have a Walbro carb. On one side you have 4 small screws that hold a small round plate on. This side is where the diaphram,needle and seat are. The other side has a plate with a screw in the center. Remove that screw and carefully remove cover so not to tear either of the gaskets.Once cover is off you will see all the ports and passageways in the carb as well as the screen. make sure to clean screen with carb cleaner and spray into all passageways the blow out with air hose. You may as well remove the other side and check diaphram etc while you are at it.Just be very careful not to tear any gaskets. Let us all know how it turns out. :)

jhelmick
03-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Yep....looks like the same thing, but I think I better get a carb kit, I cleaned the screen and tried to blow it out gently, but it blew off and is no where to be found, I also have two very tiny steel balls about 1 MM or less in diameter laying on my bench, are they any part of the carb that fell out during disassemly? Any recommendations on where to order parts online, and does any one sell a manual that shows specs, rebuilding, adjusments etc.

FIXDISS
03-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Just pulled both sides off mine and did not see any check balls. There may actually be some under those welch plugs but I don't have a diagram handy to tell. Did you remove the welch plugs ?

jhelmick
03-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Actually I think they are from another project, I did not pull the welch plugs but was looking at a diagram of the carb on milacalawn.com and it shows no check balls. This is the only site I found for ordering parts, is there any others out there?

FIXDISS
03-25-2007, 03:56 PM
If you have a local shop they would probably have the kit on the shelf. It is a common part but not sure if you can get one on Sunday.

SLR
03-26-2007, 03:11 PM
What is considered a "SAFE" amount of time to allow fuel to sit inside a chainsaw,I only use my saw sporatically and it has fule approaching 6 weeks,is this daft practice?

MowerMedic77
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Gas has a shelf life and its around 30days, remember that part(most) of its life is in storage and transport before you even get it. After that 30 day mark gas really starts loosing its goodies, soon that 87 octane is more like 86,85,84 and soon all you have left is stale(bad) unusable fuel. When you open a fuel can and see that vapor(the light ends)or the actual part of the fuel that ignites, that is your hard earned$$$$$$$$ going bye bye:cry:

I see customers with open plastic gas cans on their trailers all the time and they wonder why they have hard start issues and poor performance from the equipment:hammerhead: