PDA

View Full Version : bulb sources?

AintNoFun
03-22-2007, 10:13 AM
does anyone have any good sources online/mail order for bulbs, i just got RFQ for 27,000 bulbs installed and am striking out finding places i searched on here in some very old posts and found a few but i was looking for a few more.... thanks

Dreams To Designs
03-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Simple Pleasure bulbs and perennials. I have ordered many thousands of bulbs from them, good pricing, great deals, quick shipments and quality bulbs. They have regional sales people and sales desk help.

http://simplepleasure.com/index.html

Kirk

AintNoFun
03-22-2007, 07:28 PM
thanks i appreciate it.. i know nothing about bulbs just outta curiousity is there any bulbs that can be planted now? this contractor wants to plant something now so he can get off the job and get paid. thanks

PaperCutter
03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
The best supplier I've come across is www.colorblends.com . Great selection and super responsive service- even on a small 10,000 bulb order.

Spring-blooming bulbs are generally planted in the fall. What type of plants are called out by the architect/ designer?

AintNoFun
03-22-2007, 08:06 PM
the engineer is calling for dafodills, its a state job so trying to get them to deviate from the original plans is going to be tough. i've called at least 5 places so far including colorblends and they all say they wont have nothing till the fall. of course the contractor im doing the work for doesn't want to hear that at all, so idk what to do. they aren't looking for them to bloom now but to just get them in the ground so they can get the job completed and paid..

PaperCutter
03-22-2007, 08:32 PM
I doubt you'll have much luck getting daffs any time soon. Most spring-flowering bulbs are shipped to the US for fall distribution. I can understand wanting to finish and get paid, but can't the contractor have the state just hold back payment for the bulbs + labor & markup, and do the requisite paperwork stating the work'll be completed when appropriate?

Good luck, man. That's a crappy situation to be in.

Dave

Kate Butler
03-22-2007, 09:05 PM
It isn't that you can't plant bulbs in the Spring. When you do that, they come up and bloom out of sequence that year, but will go dormant and do their thing at the proper time the following year. It IS a bit un-nerving to see daffodils blooming in July after Spring planting.

Why not try these folks, they have cold storage and you may be able to get at least a portion of what you're looking for.

www.kvbwholesale.com/

www.langeveld.com/

www.netherlandbulb.com/

This one is a group listing: http://www.mobot.org/hort/bulbs/BulbSource.asp

AintNoFun
03-22-2007, 09:30 PM
well the contractor had a problem with the weather and couldn't get the paving done in the fall/winter so the rest of the job was pushed back till the spring. the planting should have originally been done in the fall. this is a big job the contractor spent close to 20g with us and i dont want to dissappoint them that we can get the bulbs....

I doubt you'll have much luck getting daffs any time soon. Most spring-flowering bulbs are shipped to the US for fall distribution. I can understand wanting to finish and get paid, but can't the contractor have the state just hold back payment for the bulbs + labor & markup, and do the requisite paperwork stating the work'll be completed when appropriate?

Good luck, man. That's a crappy situation to be in.

Dave

ive tried a few of them but i'll try the rest tomorrow. to be honest im pretty sure the contractor doesn't care if they come up at all, lol.. as long as they are planted and approved... are there any bulbs that can be planted now that would be readily available? thanks again

It isn't that you can't plant bulbs in the Spring. When you do that, they come up and bloom out of sequence that year, but will go dormant and do their thing at the proper time the following year. It IS a bit un-nerving to see daffodils blooming in July after Spring planting.

Why not try these folks, they have cold storage and you may be able to get at least a portion of what you're looking for.

www.kvbwholesale.com/

www.langeveld.com/

www.netherlandbulb.com/

This one is a group listing: http://www.mobot.org/hort/bulbs/BulbSource.asp

Kate Butler
03-22-2007, 10:04 PM
on the GC's definition of 'bulb'. Is this an underplanting and after they have bloomed, something else will come up and bloom? Or, is it a grassy area that will be mowed after the daff foliage has matured?

There are summer-blooming bulbs; camassias, alliums, true lilies, zephranthes, and more, but it sounds like you will need true daffodils for 'the look' the GC wants.

I could supply you with a few hundred (total) of about 10 varieties (and colors). Not nearly what you need, but perhaps it would get the GC off your back if you were to plant some and explain about lack of availability till Fall. (Have backup from your proposed supplier.) Perhaps some others of us on the forum could help.