PDA

View Full Version : Which is better hunter or rain bird

shawnlawn
03-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm just going to start in the irrigation area. I'm expanding into it hopfully it will work out. Doing my first bid on friday.:dizzy:

Mike Leary
03-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Ho boy...Welcome to the jungle...learn, learn,learn. There is NO BETTER!
Experience will teach you what's best for your application & market.
However, should I spec a system (perish the thought) these days, I'd use:
Hunter I-20 ultra 6" stainless pop-ups for medium to large turf.
Rain-Bird 1812SAM 6" pop-ups w/ either Weather-Matic brass nozzles or
MP Rotators depending on your measurements of psi/gpm. Rain-Bird 1812SAM
hi-pops for plantings w/same choice of nozzles. Valves Weather-Matic .
Controller Irritrol "Total Control" for small systems...Rain Master for rest.

londonrain
03-22-2007, 07:12 PM
On a standard residential install we use Hunter I-20 ultras, Rain Bird 1800 series prs/sam sprayheads, Hunter 101g control valves, Hunter Pro-c controller and Rain Bird spray nozzles.

Mike Leary
03-22-2007, 07:22 PM
No one should use 4" pops for turf, Toro, are you listening "Stream-Rotors"?

Wet_Boots
03-22-2007, 08:08 PM
You'll have to pry my 1804s from my cold dead hands! :p

(I still remember when a brass popup body with a 2-inch popup was called a high-pop)

londonrain
03-22-2007, 08:09 PM
No one should use 4" pops for turf, Toro, are you listening "Stream-Rotors"?

Sure you can use 4" pop-ups on Bermuda, centipede, Saint Augustine or any other low growing grass.

koster_irrigation
03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Sure you can use 4" pop-ups on Bermuda, centipede, Saint Augustine or any other low growing grass.

i agree absolutely

Mike Leary
03-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Boy howdy..I sure got the rip from the east coast boys.....I forgot about your
turf.

SprinklerGuy
03-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Ha Ha...

I love statements like that...NOONE SHOULD.......I hardly even see the rest after I see such an inflammatory statement.

That being said

Rainbird vs Hunter is Ford vs Chevy all over again.....

If you are still trying to figure out which product line you are going to use RIGHT before your first bid...I wish you luck ;)

Mike Leary
03-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Easy does it big fella...the forums are for personal job-related opinions.
I have the right to express my opinions since I've only installed 150 systems.

SprinklerGuy
03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Well lil guy..when you have been installing them for 20+ years...and have over 1000 systems under your belt.....we will listen to your opinion :)

In the meantime....blanket statements on the irrigation forum will get slammed everytime.

DanaMac
03-22-2007, 09:02 PM
I have only seen one system where the turf zones were 6" heads. Most everything here is 4" heads, except the occasional DIY system with 2" or 3" heads.

Wet_Boots
03-22-2007, 10:18 PM
I hate side-entry heads, so I can happily stick with 1804s - kind of makes you wonder how lawns ever survived with 2" popups.

Flow Control
03-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Easy does it big fella...the forums are for personal job-related opinions.
I have the right to express my opinions since I've only installed 150 systems.

150 in 2006 or 150 all together?

Hank Reardon
03-22-2007, 11:23 PM
The problem up here with the 1804's is they only work well for a couple of days after mowing. Our cool-season grasses, in the summer, are cut at 3". So within a few days, the sprays aren't head to head due to blockage. Of course you could have the "professional" lawn crews cut crop-circles with the line trimmers on the heads. Oh, that looks classy.

Nationally, I understand 1804's may work with certain turf varieties, however, regionally, the 1804 blanket statement is DOBA (dead-on-balls-accurate).

Wet_Boots
03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Interesting how lawn height has creeped up over the years. Current (sloppy-looking to me) trends favor higher popups. When I was a kidlet, our sprinklers popped up exactly zero inches.

(of course, you could cut the lawn twice a week in season)

Hank Reardon
03-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Interesting how lawn height has creeped up over the years. Current (sloppy-looking to me) trends favor higher popups. When I was a kidlet, our sprinklers popped up exactly zero inches.

(of course, you could cut the lawn twice a week in season)

The heights increased for better health. The turf stays greener, has less weeds, and requires less water than shorter cut lawns. We manage some incredible sites and 2-1/2" in spring and fall and 3" in summer is SOP.

I'm not following how a 6" pop-up looks sloppy. I'm sleeping when our systems are running. :)

Wet_Boots
03-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Grass that blocks a four-inch popup looks sloppy, especially in corners. Of course, the lawns today are done by landscaping crews, and not kids with push mowers. Once a week and like it.

shawnlawn
03-23-2007, 12:21 AM
I know that I haven't seen a toro dealer anywhere that I looked. I have been doing some business with a company called Hydrologic they have been very helpful. I'm having a open house in my home town April 7 they said that I could get some valves and controller and heads for that. I thought that was very nice of them so I don't have to buy one.

bicmudpuppy
03-23-2007, 06:40 AM
I know that I haven't seen a toro dealer anywhere that I looked. I have been doing some business with a company called Hydrologic they have been very helpful. I'm having a open house in my home town April 7 they said that I could get some valves and controller and heads for that. I thought that was very nice of them so I don't have to buy one.

I do buisness with Hydrologic, and the service is great. My salesman is a first rate guy who actually understands what I do, but if your worried about a little bit of inventory for an open house.....................................

allinearth
03-23-2007, 07:58 AM
I usually prefer Hunter because it is not sold in box stores.

YardPro
03-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I usually prefer Hunter because it is not sold in box stores.

BINGO......

this is one of the many reasons we deal with hunter...

PurpHaze
03-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Boy howdy..I sure got the rip from the east coast boys.....I forgot about your
turf.

Don't bunch me in with THAT coast. The proper terminology would be "cool season" grasses (you) and "warm season" grasses (me). Then we have transitional zones where either can be installed but with greater care depending on microclimates. :laugh:

poiuy qwerty
03-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I have had a lot of problems with the PGP. The 1/4 turn top has leak problems!!! The hunter rep told me that a batch of seals went out that were defective also. I switched to the 5004 Rainbird and could not be happier!

Mike Leary
03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Well lil guy..when you have been installing them for 20+ years...and have over 1000 systems under your belt.....we will listen to your opinion :)

In the meantime....blanket statements on the irrigation forum will get slammed everytime.

Sorry to offend, I am passionate of what's worked for me. By the way, tho
150 systems sounds small, one-man show. Oh yes, nine of my systems total
over 500 zones. Do the math, let's be sprinkler buddies.

shawnlawn
03-23-2007, 09:14 PM
I went to the lawn today. The lawn has alot of sugar sand in the back yard. in the side of the house there is a 10ft. between the two houses. Can I put 2 drip lines on one zone because one spot is in front of the house in a landscape area and the other is on the the side of the driveway. Does the height up a slop make a differents in pressure for drip lines. Thanks for all the imput. This helping me out.

irrig8r
03-23-2007, 10:03 PM
They're both better... than Toro. :)

PurpHaze
03-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Can I put 2 drip lines on one zone because one spot is in front of the house in a landscape area and the other is on the the side of the driveway.

My entire house (front, side and back) has one combined drip zone. As long as you truly have drip emitters of some type (GPH) and not a mixture of emitters and sprinklers (GPM) you'll be fine. You can balance out the water requirements of the plants by using different GPH emitters.

Does the height up a slop make a differents in pressure for drip lines.

Usually doesn't matter unless the slope is a severe one. Emitter systems are somewhat "closed" because of the small amount of water exiting each emitter. Usually the main tubing fills up and equalizes pressure along the entire length and then all emitters will start working fine. You will sometimes hear air hissing from emitters until the water and pressure equalizes.

shawnlawn
03-24-2007, 12:20 AM
OK that makes it easy for me.

txgrassguy
03-24-2007, 12:31 AM
The heights increased for better health. The turf stays greener, has less weeds, and requires less water than shorter cut lawns. We manage some incredible sites and 2-1/2" in spring and fall and 3" in summer is SOP.

I'm not following how a 6" pop-up looks sloppy. I'm sleeping when our systems are running. :)

Try and maintain C4 turf, specifically the Zoysiagrass, Bermudagrass and Paspalumgrass at those heights and I'll show you a cat outta business so fast the next time you see him is in Wal-mart greeting people.

Other than St. Augustine turf, nothing my crews maintain even approaches 2 1/2" concerning irrigated turf.

Hank Reardon
03-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Try and maintain C4 turf, specifically the Zoysiagrass, Bermudagrass and Paspalumgrass at those heights and I'll show you a cat outta business so fast the next time you see him is in Wal-mart greeting people.

Other than St. Augustine turf, nothing my crews maintain even approaches 2 1/2" concerning irrigated turf.

So...am I correct to assume that you would therefore recommend 1804's rather that 1806's or are you just letting us know in the unlikely event that we would want to re-locate? :confused:

Remote Pigtails
03-24-2007, 08:54 AM
4" popups are the standard in Texas. Occasionally see 6" at the bottom of slopes. The grass is getting longer all the time here. When I mowed my own yard I mowed every 4-5 days. Now I let a service do it and my 4" popups just get over the grass by day 5. Hunter seems to have the best total package in the industry now. I only use their rotors. They are definitely buying market share with tremendous discounts. Having seen this cycle among different manufacturers through the years I try not to let it influence my buying decisions. I wish they'd get rid of that SRV stuff. For us that stands for sh-tty residential valve. Their low end junk rivals orbit. I know RB has low end junk as well but my supply houses don't stock it. I suspect once they establish name recognition they'll be in the box stores like the rest.

Mike Leary
03-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow! I'm pleased to see someone using brass nozzles..best pattern!
Is Weather-Matic and Storm (Buckner) the only ones still makin' em?

Wet_Boots
03-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Champion still makes brass nozzles.

Mike Leary
03-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Champion still makes brass nozzles.

Thanks Boots...If you have a spec sheet, do they make a six or eight foot
full to fit R.B. threads?

Wet_Boots
03-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Champion stuff is irrelevant, since their nozzles all have 3/4 x 27 male threads to fit their own spray bodies. Or Safe-T-Lawn bodies. Or Imperial 'best' brass bodies. And those last two are long, long gone. The cheap brass Rainbird popups you see at home centers are what Champion sprinklers are like.

Mike Leary
03-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Champion stuff is irrelevant, since their nozzles all have 3/4 x 27 male threads to fit their own spray bodies. Or Safe-T-Lawn bodies. Or Imperial 'best' brass bodies. And those last two are long, long gone. The cheap brass Rainbird popups you see at home centers are what Champion sprinklers are like.

Thanks Boots, Champion WAS a player years ago. I miss Imperial, that's
the brand I cut my pop-up on, I still have a hat I wear to I.A.

Remote Pigtails
03-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Wow! I'm pleased to see someone using brass nozzles..best pattern!
Is Weather-Matic and Storm (Buckner) the only ones still makin' em?

I buy from a local maker of brass nozzles. They are almost identical to the Wmtc and cost a lot less. We use a lot of low angle brass peanut nozzles. They have adapters for both the male and female pop ups. When I first got in the bizness a pop up was made called the 4.5 inch hydro rain. You could use 3/4 or 1/2 nipples in the bottom. Took the champion nozzle. Great head. Way ahead of its time. Worst attempt by a manufacturer to imitate brass with plastic is the RB u nozzle.

Mike Leary
03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Down with plastic nozzles. Yes, we use the 100 series W,M, on copper risers
with #92 sweat adapter...if you're going to use a riser, celebrate it!
W.M. 105 f.c. prettiest head made. Who is your supplier of brass nozzles?

Remote Pigtails
03-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Hate to give away a local secret but it's a company called Riggs Irrigation Supply. Been around forever. Still hand write their invoices. No computers, no invoices. Last place I remember to give up their rotary phone. If they start running out of stock I'm going to be realllly bummed out. Their brass patterns and spacing are very similar to Wmtic.

Remote Pigtails
03-24-2007, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=Remote Pigtails;1764768No computers, no invoices.[/QUOTE]

Meant to say no internet site

Mike Leary
03-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks, I'll be carefull...brass nozzles guys stick together. Wonder if, "be
still my heart" they make 6' full circle nozzles for R.B. 1800?

Is that Weather-Matic clock that cool? Yass, we remote pigtail too.

Remote Pigtails
03-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks, I'll be carefull...brass nozzles guys stick together. Wonder if, "be
still my heart" they make 6' full circle nozzles for R.B. 1800?

Is that Weather-Matic clock that cool? Yass, we remote pigtail too.

Well if I could get a private e-mail I would send you a sample of this brass irrigation contraband. What they make are brass 5' or 9' flat fulls. I use a RB by riggs nozzle adapter to put it on. A great nozzle for 12"popups in beds. Even coverage as you can get.

I like the wmtic clock because it is the best I could find for both worlds. ET or owner operator. They have done a good job educating and marketing locally (Dallas area) I attended a seminar at their corporate office and am totally comfortable with it. One headache. They used those d-mn speaker wire style connectors so it is a real pain to install pigtails or double up wires. We used to install the RB modular which was a piece of cake to install and hookup pigtails. The WM is still worth the trouble because of its features.

Hank Reardon
03-25-2007, 01:29 AM
I think you just made his day.

gusbuster
03-25-2007, 02:24 AM
Maybe it's a north of Ca thing, for I have yet to see a commercially installed combo brass nozzle with 1800 series bodies.

As far as using 4' bods, wheather it be R'B's or Hunter, the 4 " should be plenty.

I mean think about it for a second, if the stem pops up 4" and you set the body at grade, then it should be poping up at 4" giving plenty of coverage. Now if a grass is being supposedly kept at 3" and a 4" pop up isn't covering properly, I will tell you that the lawn is not being cut at 3" but rather taller.

All I do and have been doing 30 years in this trade is using fix sprays. Never had call for rotors or impacts in the area I was working. If the lawn is being maintained properly and spray bodies were set and maintained at the proper height, then that 4 " body should be sufficient.

What I see when I see a 6" body being installed in a lawn because they want clearance is wasted time trenching more than what is needed.

I have to be fair and take into account that not everybody has a sunny climate where the ground doesn't freeze like the area I'm in.

As somebody that does maintenance, I do keep the area around heads clear. If you don't, the stems will get dirty and fail. That applies with any brand of head and type.

By the way, as far as the Hunter Vs RB, as far as I'm concerned they both make good products. If you can I would consider combining the two when possible. As you may see from my sig picture, that's about a medium size lawn. So my favorite combo that I do use when installing sod is Hunter pro-spay with the RB u-series nozzles. Have yet to have a failure that was caused by weather. Just my guys smashing them with the line trimmers.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Pigtails.....Help a old "mossback". What is a "riggs nozzle adapter"

Wet_Boots
03-25-2007, 02:32 PM
It adapts a riggs to a nozzle, what else? :p

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 02:56 PM
It adapts a riggs to a nozzle, what else? :p

Most of the riggs here have rusted-out.

Remote Pigtails
03-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Pigtails.....Help a old "mossback". What is a "riggs nozzle adapter"

sorry I'm talking Dallas irrigation slang. The name of the company that makes the brass nozzles is Riggs Irrigation Supply. So anything that has to do with them we refer to as "riggs" this or "riggs" that. I'll take some pics.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
03-25-2007, 04:28 PM
We use 1800 series rainbird spray heads, and either PGP or I20 Hunter rotors. All are 4" pop ups, JMHO

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks, would like to see some "riggs". I sure opened up the can of pop-ups
with the 6" comment. 1804 & 1806 at 30 paces.

Remote Pigtails
03-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm still working on how to write between pics so I might do another post to explain the pics. The first one is the RIGGS adapter to attach the PEANUT to the popup. That is a LONGIE. It will cause the PEANUT to stick up above the popup. They also make SHORTIES which allow the PEANUT to drop below the the cap. I also included a pic of my RIGGS nozzle box and an open pic of it as well. There is also a pic of a Toro LONGIE and SHORTY and a pic of my standard spray nozzles. In the first pic you will notice some brass rods. Those are RIGGS PEANUT extenders. You can take the PEANUT off add the rods to whatever height you want then put the PEANUT back on.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 05:08 PM
You are the brassman!!!!!! Thank you, reminds me of the adapters Weather-
Matic used to retro the 100 series into the 30 series pop-ups. Makes my day
twice in one day!

Dirty Water
03-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Personally, I've always been rather pleased with the performance of Rainbirds plastic nozzles (With the exception of the van's, those are marginal at best).

What are you paying per nozzle and adapter for those peanuts?

Duekster
03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Personally, I've always been rather pleased with the performance of Rainbirds plastic nozzles (With the exception of the van's, those are marginal at best).

VAN's are like a bad date. They don't put out.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I know the 1804 is not the same one sold in Home Depot even if the name is the same the insides look different. ( qualifier) I have not looked in a while.

How many of you do not use RB because it sold at Home Depot?

Remote Pigtails
03-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Two more pics.
The first is a great product RIGGS makes. It is a 1/2 brass MA but they make it with the threads just a tad looser so that it screws into fittings or takes SA a little easier. The second of course is BEAU. My rescue dog. Hound/terrier mix. I'm his third owner, just a great dog. Suffers during sprinkler season since I'm never around.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Brass isssss best. What is one to do when you're less than a 90 except to use
VANs? Maybe riggs could make us brass VANs. "Be still my foolish heart".
R.B. products in big boxes are junk...why don't you support a local pro dealer?

Remote Pigtails
03-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Actually I hate to ruin my BRASS GUY image but I use a lot of RB plastic as well. We have a lot of 20' spaced heads here and the brass is used mostly on them and in special situations. I use the peanuts a lot more because they perform far superior in riser situations and in tight spray patterns.

I had to dig out an invoice but the peanuts run me .50 ea and the RIGGS adapters run .65 ea. They also sell sweat caps that lower the cost a little but I prefer to be able to put a RB screen in there.

Remote Pigtails
03-25-2007, 06:07 PM
As far as vans and less than 90 angles I've decided that the best option is to move the head down the line or up and overspray a little bit. Vans do their worst job right under the nozzle so you are going to have to overspray anyway to get the area watered where the van is. We throw away A LOT of vans.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Someone ought to start a screen thread: I don't use them because they
plug up slowly and are hard to notice when their pluggin' up. Walk-thrus are
real inportant to me and Hank Reardon.

Dirty Water
03-25-2007, 06:17 PM
I like Rainbird Screens. We used the blue ones with VAN's and the regular ones with regular nozzles.

Its easier to change a plugged up screen than to unclog a clogged nozzle.

Additionally, having a screen lets you use the flow control screw on the nozzle.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Oh no, another thread about flow control on top of the nozzle.
I was a recording engineer, my teacher/mentor remarked once, " if you have
to use a equalizer (flow control), you've choosen the wrong microphone
(nozzle)". As far as screens, the nozzle has to be removed anyways, other
than VANs, 18 gauge cleans 'em quick, if you use brass nozzles.

Remote Pigtails
03-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Someone ought to start a screen thread: I don't use them because they
plug up slowly and are hard to notice when their pluggin' up. Walk-thrus are
real inportant to me and Hank Reardon.

What's in the water there? If a system in Dallas area has been flushed properly we rarely get clogged screens. If you don't use your screens send them to me. I usually buy a thousand a year and it costs me .20 ea. We use them in nozzles in which no screen was put in and under the RIGGS nozzles.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 06:42 PM
R.B. products in big boxes are junk...why don't you support a local pro dealer?

Not sure if you were responding to me or not.

If so, I think you missed the point.

Why are both called 1804's but not built the same.

I also asked how many people did not use RB because they sold junk in a big box store.

BTW, I do support a dealer or 3.

Remote Pigtails
03-25-2007, 06:43 PM

You are absolutely correct on this. But the screens serve another purpose and that is preventing minor gunk from getting into the system through the nozzle. It screens both ways. So a small snail could enter through a 20 full and get blown down to the 12 H and not get out.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 06:44 PM

I have seen a case where I got 11 feet out of an 8 MPR so I had to chokem down a little.

LCPullman
03-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Regarding the original topic of this thread, I tend toward Hunter, but that's mainly because I see so many Rainbird 5004 heads in the area, and many of the heads stop rotating and need replacing. There are much fewer Hunters and so I've seen very few that have stopped rotating. There are actually quite a few Hunters here that are labeled Professional G-type (not sure exactly how old that is), rather than PGP.

That said, I still think the Rainbird 5004 is a good head.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Gee, I thought the PGP has always been.....don't tell me Hunter is in the big
boxes!!!! Is the 5004 the replacement for the loved (by us) "T-Bird",
do they make a "5006"?

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 07:09 PM
"chokum" a tad...you'll destroy the pattern with any more,
"Down with flow controls".

LCPullman
03-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Gee, I thought the PGP has always been.....don't tell me Hunter is in the big
boxes!!!! Is the 5004 the replacement for the loved (by us) "T-Bird",
do they make a "5006"?

Yes the 5004 replaced the T-Bird

They do make a 5006 as well as a 5012. They also make a 5004/5006/5012 Plus series which adds a flow shut off valve. And of course lately they have come out with a 5000 series rotor with a PRS system, reduces the pressure to 45 psi.

Hunter isn't in the big box stores yet as far as I know. If you were refering to what I said about the "Professional G-type" heads, from what I understand, those are what the PGPs were called before they were called PGP.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 07:28 PM
The flow-shut off feature is great unless you like to be hosed, which a few
of us like during the heat. Bring bak the "T-Bird"!!!! w/flow shut-off.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 07:39 PM
"chokum" a tad...you'll destroy the pattern with any more,
"Down with flow controls".

I think it was excessive pressure and I did not quote the job so they did not get PRS.

I think PRS is the way to go.

Back to the main topic too. Hunter and Rainbird are both good products. Generally I see a lot of hunter heads with Rainbird nozzles.

My feeling is people like Hunter Rotors and Rainbird Heads and Rainbird Nozzle or better yet the WalaWala MP Rotor. I have a hard time finding the rainbird rotor nozzle stocked. I did one job with them and they worked great. RB pulled then brought them back but no one wants to stock them.

Dirty Water
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
The T-Bird was a god-awful head.

Hunter PGP's were called G series until the mid eighties, so that shows a bit about how reliable those gear drives are.

When I did installs it was strictly PGP's and 1804's with RB DVF-100 valves.

On larger jobs, Hunter I-25's and larger, I just don't think Rainbird has figured out a good rotor (Remember the ball drive R40's?).

However, the whiper seal on the 1804's and the nozzles are why I prefer them to the hunter sprays.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Jon Boy....jeez, you're going to buy lunch & drinks when you come over
to see us if you're slammin' "t-Birds". With the choice of "turrets" & nozzles,
they were the coolest medium range head ever made. Rain-Bird, are you
listening?

Wet_Boots
03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
The only current/recent residential rotors I've seen perform without needing adjustment or replacement, over an entire system of them, over a ten-year period, minimum, are Rainbird R-50's and Toro 300 stream rotors.

Safe-T-Lawn ball drives are still clicking away at over thirty years of service. I forget who Toro sold that line to, after buying it from Hardie.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Hank Reardon has been using 1800 heads w/MP Rotators in place of
T-Birds. However, in turf applications , the run times w/the low precp.
flow mite screw him on night runs.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Hank Reardon has been using 1800 heads w/MP Rotators in place of
T-Birds. However, in turf applications , the run times w/the low precp.
flow mite screw him on night runs.

On commecial jobs you size the Main line to run 4 zones and use the Maxicom.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 08:38 PM
On pump sites w/known psi/gpm you can do the same thing w/ any clock
w/ multiple programs.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 08:41 PM
On pump sites w/known psi/gpm you can do the same thing w/ any clock
w/ multiple programs.

True, but the water management side does have benefits.

A clock will not let you know you have a broken line.

Dirty Water
03-25-2007, 08:42 PM
True, but the water management side does have benefits.

A clock will not let you know you have a broken line.

But a flowswitch on the line tied into the common will :)

Duekster
03-25-2007, 08:44 PM
But a flowswitch on the line tied into the common will :)

and it will tell you which zone and send a report?

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Excellent point Mr. Duek, Let's get into flow sensors & why we should spec
them. We have flow sensors (Data Industrial) in our over 60 zone sites,
work great, even in stand-alone mode. Your comment great: " nothing
better than a walk-thru". Without flow sensors, the system will fail on
a Friday night when the clients are gone..I don't give a rat if you've a master
valve or not.

Mike Leary
03-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Two more pics.
The first is a great product RIGGS makes. It is a 1/2 brass MA but they make it with the threads just a tad looser so that it screws into fittings or takes SA a little easier. The second of course is BEAU. My rescue dog. Hound/terrier mix. I'm his third owner, just a great dog. Suffers during sprinkler season since I'm never around.

and it will tell you which zone and send a report?

You guys are smokin' something better than I am.

Wet_Boots
03-25-2007, 09:09 PM
That's what the SA is - Smoking Adapter

Duekster
03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
You guys are smokin' something better than I am.

LOL, :rolleyes: we have droughts down here and water mangement is important.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Excellent point Mr. Duek, Let's get into flow sensors & why we should spec
them. We have flow sensors (Data Industrial) in our over 60 zone sites,
work great, even in stand-alone mode. Your comment great: " nothing
better than a walk-thru". Without flow sensors, the system will fail on
a Friday night when the clients are gone..I don't give a rat if you've a master
valve or not.

Accourding to what I heard from informed people, it is the small location businesses that waste the most water. The Fast Food companies as an example.

Remote Pigtails
03-25-2007, 10:11 PM
I have a hard time finding the rainbird rotor nozzle stocked. I did one job with them and they worked great. RB pulled then brought them back but no one wants to stock them.

Try Longhorn in Dallas. I prefer the RB to Walla Walla cuz higher precipitation rates. I recently did a job with the rotators in a minimalist backyard for effect as well as water reasons and it came out spectacular. he is thinking of putting in lighting to enhance the watering display. Love those people with more money than sense.