PDA

View Full Version : Every Year I'm Quiting!

bigtex
03-22-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm In Massachusetts And Every Spring I Go From Complete Bordem And Poverty In March To Chaos For The Following 3 Months.then Everything Evens Out. I've Been Cutting For 9 Years Now And Every Spring I Want Out But Keep Comin Back, Any Supporters Out There?

JB1
03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I find myself less motivated now myself, reached my goals, think I'm gonna go and buy around 50 acres of ground, then I'll have to be motivated.

mini14
03-22-2007, 09:41 PM
been doing that for 20 yrs now it sucks but $$$$ is great..if i knew then what i know now..............

christmas79
03-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Same here after 10 years I got out sold the business to my employes my house is the best landscape yard on my block and best of all they don't charge me!

1MajorTom
03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
It is my belief that the longer you have been in business, the harder it is to stay motivated consistently. We are in our 9th year too, and i can remember the first couple of years come January, we were planning hard for the upcoming season. Now it's going on the end of March, and we wish the season wasn't nearing so close, and there are still a ton of things to do to be ready.

LwnmwrMan22
03-22-2007, 10:08 PM
It is my belief that the longer you have been in business, the harder it is to stay motivated consistently. We are in our 9th year too, and i can remember the first couple of years come January, we were planning hard for the upcoming season. Now it's going on the end of March, and we wish the season wasn't nearing so close, and there are still a ton of things to do to be ready.

I think it's how much of the green industry is in you.

I've got personalized plates "We Mow" on one truck, this summer, the second truck is getting "We Mow 2" on.

I have no problem being motivated this time of year.

Yesterday I unloaded by hand 160 bags of fertilizer, but my season doesn't start for another month.

Lesco was running pay nothing until June '07, so I went and got my first round of material and put it in the shed.

For me it can't get here soon enough. I go from receivables of roughly $4,000 / month to receivables of $16-17,000 / month. Need I say more??

meets1
03-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Motivation - be better than last year, be the best on the block, and ya gotta roll! Go buy some new stuff - all nice and pretty but now it is time to play!

Ya gotta work hard to play hard and I don't stop for much. Its 4 am till 8 pm 6 days a week. Not for everyone but this is how we do it!

Carolina Cuts
03-22-2007, 10:47 PM
opposite for me.... I'm burned out at the END of the season, contemplating the next... then come spring I'm all gun ho!!!

pclawncare
03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
I seem to follow carolina's thought process. By the end of the season all i am thinking about is where i want to go on vacation and why i want to work so hard for my money but i alwase am rearin to go in the spring.

MOW ED
03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Yep its funny, all winter no one even knows my name and then come the first week of 40's and 50's and I am the most popular kid on the block. Everyone has a job for me to do and some want it done yesterday. I have learned how to maximize profit on the excited customers and the laid back ones keep me sane. Its going to be 12 years now and I still like doing it but I do like getting into the lets just mow groove in May. It takes a while to blow the dethatching dust out of my nose but the intake of $$$$ is nice.

GSPHUNTER
03-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm with Carolina, come august and september when it's dry, dusty, and ungodly hot I'm burned out and say that this is my last year. Come Jan. or Feb. I'm ready are rarin' to go.

Turfcutters Plus
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I hear ya,but heres my attitude.I do only what i want now,when i want and love it!I quit aeration,big clean ups.Now that i'm totally debt free,with lots of money put away.That's why i love this biz.There's soooo much workfor everyone in the big city.I'm in the heart of it where all the money is.I Name my price.I love turning down sh!t jobs.I get off on it!!!Mowings what i love with my tunes on.I'm a working rock drummer and teacher.That's why i work alone.God bless America!

topsites
03-23-2007, 01:25 PM
This is a good time for me to do some spring cleanups for my best regular customers, mostly I do this to test my machines... Of course I do the actual work, but it gives me a chance to see how they perform and to make sure they're not going to crap out on me and make last minute adjustments, etc... Good thing, too, I almost always find faults need fixing before things really get busy.

Usually on these test drive jobs I either charge a really reasonable price or I just do it for free, once again it's for my best customers first because once I'm confident my machines are running, that's all she wrote of the freebies. Most of the time I don't even ask, I just go out there and do it, and most of them actually want to pay but I'm like nahhh look don't worry about it.

Thing is, my own yard just isn't enough work to test it all out on. I think this part of the year it's nothing but price shoppers and pita jobs anyhow, I know it's right around the corner so I think this part teaches us patience, but to keep busy and test the machines, for my best customers. And no, I don't test my machines on no price shopper jobs, even thou I could, but I do this for those who spend the most throughout the year, kinda like giving away a free cut, sorta... And so I win, too.

I hear ya,but heres my attitude.I do only what i want now,when i want and love it!I quit aeration,big clean ups.Now that i'm totally debt free,with lots of money put away.That's why i love this biz.There's soooo much workfor everyone in the big city.I'm in the heart of it where all the money is.I Name my price.I love turning down sh!t jobs.I get off on it!!!Mowings what i love with my tunes on.I'm a working rock drummer and teacher.That's why i work alone.God bless America!

LOL that's what I'm talking about, most of the time I get off on it, too, somedays it frustrates thou, like when that's all I get, but yeah, turn down the crap and see you later and call someone else and they all look at me like I must've lost my mind when nothing could be further from the truth.

Another favorite of mine is to get suckered hook / line / sinker, somehow I don't even see it until later but then they never made up their mind while I was there (you know, we have to think about it) and I take the opportunity to send off a quick 'thanks but I thought about it and no thanks' letter. You bet, I don't do none of that, I've even turned down jobs after I initially agreed if it turns out they pulled some kind of a smoothie on me or whatever.

Because way I see things, someone thought they were smart, and yes I was stupid, but now I seen that so they have to accept this.

nobagger
03-23-2007, 06:24 PM
I must be of a different breed,lol. We have been doing this since 2002 and I still love it, now I get sick of plowing about Feb-March and sick of mowing around Sept. but I'm still going strong! I think a lot of guys loose their passion for this business and it becomes more like a burden to even go to an estimate. Now in our/ their defense there is a lot to put up with like in any business but more-so in this industry. Plumer's, construction companies etc. loose bids to other companies in thier line of work but they arent loosing bids to a 17yr old. I think there is a higher standard in other fields such as plummer, const. etc. and thats got to be one of the most frustrating things to me.

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2007, 02:08 AM
I must be of a different breed,lol. We have been doing this since 2002 and I still love it, now I get sick of plowing about Feb-March and sick of mowing around Sept. but I'm still going strong! I think a lot of guys loose their passion for this business and it becomes more like a burden to even go to an estimate. Now in our/ their defense there is a lot to put up with like in any business but more-so in this industry. Plumer's, construction companies etc. loose bids to other companies in thier line of work but they arent loosing bids to a 17yr old. I think there is a higher standard in other fields such as plummer, const. etc. and thats got to be one of the most frustrating things to me.

How true... I know because I've been there on both sides of contracting.

Myself... the hardest time for me is this time of year and late fall.

I did much better last year in the fall because I bought some new stuff and tried some new things. I didn't get 'glum' but I was still not heavily motivated and I was glad to end it for the year.

Spring though... for me there seems to be little relief from that.
The spring BS gets the best of me I guess.
Like this year, I've already been out and done some work, but I'm still not all reved up.

I still love the work and love what I do every day in the field... as far as the work itself.
It's all the other crap I get tired of.

Spring estimate/bid/rush season takes a little more out of me in that respect every year.

Myself, I never say "this is going to be my last year"....
But this time around may well be the last one for me.... because I have literally planned for it and plan to make a decision at the end of this season.

I may keep things status-quo... I may relocate my business to a better area... or I may sell out and walk away into the equipment MFG industry or something else that has my interest. Who knows?... But it is a slated decision and has been in the business plan a few years now. We'll see I guess.....