PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania may end tax on lawn care

1MajorTom
07-23-2001, 05:22 PM
Taken straight from Grounds Maintenance.

A bill introduced by Pennsylvania state Rep. Larry Curry would remove the Pennsylvania state sales tax from lawn-care services. The bill passed the state House on June 7. As of this writing, the Senate version awaits further action.

Curry noted that his bill would eliminate unfairness resulting from youths, and others not in compliance with the law, not charging sales for cutting grass and trimming shrubbery.

John Allin
07-23-2001, 08:15 PM
As much as we all wish it would happen.... I'll believe it when I see it.

However, we'll all keep praying it goes thru.....

Scraper
07-25-2001, 12:53 PM
It is known as HB 165 and here is the status:

01/23/2001 INTRODUCED.
01/23/2001 To HOUSE Committee on FINANCE.
04/03/2001 From HOUSE Committee on FINANCE.
04/03/2001 In HOUSE. Laid on table.
05/02/2001 In HOUSE. Removed from table.
05/02/2001 In HOUSE. Read second time.
05/02/2001 To HOUSE Committee on APPROPRIATIONS.
05/07/2001 From HOUSE Committee on APPROPRIATIONS.
06/05/2001 In HOUSE. Read third time. Passed HOUSE. *****To SENATE.
06/11/2001 To SENATE Committee on FINANCE.

I'll see if I can find a full text version......

I guess if it does pass it'll be one less pain in the neck, but one more to make illegitimate operators harder to identify...oh well

Lawndude
07-26-2001, 04:43 PM
Keep us posted i hope it goes through :)

Loosestrife
07-28-2001, 06:45 AM
I really doubt if the state will give up that amount of revenue just like that. I look for a revised tax code that will be simpler to understand.

gogetter
08-24-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Taken straight from Grounds Maintenance.

Curry noted that his bill would eliminate unfairness resulting from youths, and others not in compliance with the law, not charging sales for cutting grass and trimming shrubbery.

I'm not following.:confused:

1MajorTom
08-24-2001, 10:56 PM
It's not fair to LCO's that are charging sales tax. Why should we have to compete with youths that aren't?????

Gene $immons
09-02-2007, 05:45 PM
So......what happened with this issue?

1MajorTom
09-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately we are still submitting our monthly sales tax payment online.... 6 years later.

jsf343
09-02-2007, 10:53 PM
wow, good for you guys, hope it passes for all of your sakes. Pretty stupid you are taxed like that!!

newz7151
09-02-2007, 11:57 PM
wow, good for you guys, hope it passes for all of your sakes. Pretty stupid you are taxed like that!!

It's not stupid. They should just enforce it on everybody. If a "youth" is out doing it and makes more than the $1500 or $5000 allowance, (i forget what Texas is) , then they should be getting their butts hung, because at that point, it's a producing business and SHOULD be collecting the tax just like all of the businesses doing 10 times that amount.

jsf343
09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
It's not stupid. They should just enforce it on everybody. If a "youth" is out doing it and makes more than the $1500 or $5000 allowance, (i forget what Texas is) , then they should be getting their butts hung, because at that point, it's a producing business and SHOULD be collecting the tax just like all of the businesses doing 10 times that amount.

maybe I didn't write enough, you made the point I was speaking of. I thought it was stupid that a select "income" level (for lack of a better term) is taxed but others who are doing the same thing are not. You can very well make the same argument for illegal operations up here and around the country for that matter. I pay workmans comp, taxes, insurance, etc. but these "other" outfits don't pay that so even though they under bid everybody they are still making as much if not more then someone who is a legal operation. This is why I thought it was stupid and a bit unfair for those in P state. Hope that clears up the confusion you had about my reply.

bare spot
09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
saw this post yesterday and got all excited, and ready to give my local reps a call in support of (as if that would matter), then took notice of dates and brought back to reality.

J&R Landscaping
09-03-2007, 11:30 PM
That sucks wehn you think about it. That rep took it as bad for us to compete against illegal operations. If they would come down on fly by night work, it would help a whole lot more. I'd rather collect the tax and spend a few hours submitting it than having to compete as much with these POS lowballers.

1MajorTom
09-04-2007, 12:02 AM
saw this post yesterday and got all excited, and ready to give my local reps a call in support of (as if that would matter), then took notice of dates and brought back to reality.
Ya me too, i saw the thread too and got excited, then looked and saw I wrote it, and thought, "what the heck, I wrote that?" I couldn't even remember, it's been so long.

jsf343
09-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Ya me too, i saw the thread too and got excited, then looked and saw I wrote it, and thought, "what the heck, I wrote that?" I couldn't even remember, it's been so long.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :hammerhead: I just saw that date! hahahahahaha :laugh: I can't believe it.
what happened with it? give me an update, did it pass? or are you guys still being taxed to death while others skate by?

BMurray
01-14-2008, 10:32 PM
did this pass?

tglasslawncare
01-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Might be a stupid question but I am confused about some of the sales tax laws. I charge sales tax for grass cutting. I was told I don't charge sales tax for mulching. What about shrub trimming if I only trim them once a year when mulching? Should I charge sales tax for the shrub trimming portion? Thanks

TLS
01-31-2008, 01:53 PM
I was always told that unless its a NEW install on a NEW house, it's a taxable service.

E-man
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
I was always told that unless its a NEW install on a NEW house, it's a taxable service.

You are correct on the new home deal. Also not taxable are snow removal, tree removal retaining walls. everything else (that I'm aware of) is taxable