PDA

View Full Version : I need to buy a tiller...and I ahve a budget

thefed
03-22-2007, 09:08 PM
I'd like to spend no more than $450 on a tiller.

I need one that's capable of digging little ditches, say 12-18" wide and a foot deep. I need one that I could use to till up an entire yard, say 2500 sf. I KNOW it will take a while with a smaller unit, and I understand that...how long though, im sure depends on the unit. Much over 2500 sf, i assume rent a different machine.

I will also use it a bit in bed renovations, to help dig holes for trees etc.

Any idea what I can snag for 450 or less that will enable me to do the bigger jobs (2500 sf) once in a while....and other than that, it will be used maybe once/week if that.

I saw some troy built (mtd now) at lowes starting at 550...

Ive seen the mantis but it seems too small for the big jobs

and ive seen bolens (mtd...assume its crap) 24" for only 300 at home repo

thanks

mcwlandscaping
03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Mantis kicks a**!!!! Rent a large unit for the real renovation jobs, but the mantis will fit the other needs you described!

thefed
03-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Mantis kicks a**!!!! Rent a large unit for the real renovation jobs, but the mantis will fit the other needs you described!

does anyone have a take on the Toro Bronco with the Tecumseh engine, 14" path, counter rotation tines...$569 at lowes???

Captains Landscape
03-25-2007, 12:39 AM
I would get a used one (troybuilt Horse or Pony) from a homeowner. They wouldn’t use it much only 2x season. If you get a mantis or a "Homodepot special" you will regret it! The mantis is great for existing beds or gardens, but I don’t event like using the pony I have for new renovations. The soil here in MA is very rocky if that makes a difference.

sildoc
03-25-2007, 01:32 AM
I have a pony that I have been contemplating upgrading. Built just before mtd took over so it is a solid unit. looking to get 225 plus shipping. I belive it is 14" tilth and 5hp briggs IC. runs really good. tear up anything. We have hard clay here and it rips it up. tuned up last fall and new gas cap. I am looking at the Baretto commercial units wiht 13 hp honda.

thefed
03-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I have a pony that I have been contemplating upgrading. Built just before mtd took over so it is a solid unit. looking to get 225 plus shipping. I belive it is 14" tilth and 5hp briggs IC. runs really good. tear up anything. We have hard clay here and it rips it up. tuned up last fall and new gas cap. I am looking at the Baretto commercial units wiht 13 hp honda.

send me a pic if you can, as well as estimated shipping to 44203 and we might have a deal...ineed to act fast tho