PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a bid

QualityLawnCare4u
03-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Today I got a call from a person who saw me doing a yard and said they were impressed and wanted to know if I could make theirs look that good, also were unhappy with thier LCO who is doing it. They were about a mile up the road so I go to look at it. Was a church that had been turned into a daycare and a handicap facialty. I walked over the yard with the director (she owns a mercedes of course) and told her would submit a price. I set down to figure it this afternnon and did not feel good about it so I went back and drawed a map, walked every ince of it. I am usually pretty good at figuring a price but this one had to many variables. The very least it would take me is 4 hours but I am figuring closer to 5.5. The shrubs at least 8 hours and some are so tall will need a ladder. The lco doing it had done teribble work, weeds knee high around the fence and building, flower beds full of 3 foot tall weeds. I would like to get this, would take the place of several 40 dollar yards but don't want to bid to high nor to low and screw myself. I figured 5 hours at 45 per hour (forget the 60 per hour here) and 35 on the shrubs (which it HIGH here)! The yard came to 225 and shrubs to 280. I might be able to do the shrubs a little faster and it might take more. Wanted your thoughts/comments.

Lynden-Jeff
03-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Hey,

If I were you I would charge what your thinking and get another guy to help you with the shrubs. $40 in labour for 4 hours and you will be done in half the time.

Cheers
Jeff

QualityLawnCare4u
03-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Xoopiter, I have tried many times to find some help on shrubs but not one was worth a crap and around here you are expected to do shrubs for 4 bucks a hour. I probably won't get this one but if I do will be worth my while. I bet they are not paying more than 75 bucks right now for ALL of it knowing my area.

Lynden-Jeff
03-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Xoopiter, I have tried many times to find some help on shrubs but not one was worth a crap and around here you are expected to do shrubs for 4 bucks a hour. I probably won't get this one but if I do will be worth my while. I bet they are not paying more than 75 bucks right now for ALL of it knowing my area.

Well charge appropriately and do a bang up job if you get it. I'm sure they will be happy and know where their extra money went, especially if what they got now is crap. I always charge what is appropriate for me to do the best job possible. If they are not willing to pay for it, I am not willing to do a half as job because I can not afford to be there.

Cheers
Jeff

richallseasons
03-22-2007, 11:13 PM
First off she has already told you that she is impressed with your work, so at this point you have already proved that you care about quality, which is important to her. I would say now all you have to do is give her a fair price and don't worry about coming in high as you can justify it through the quality of what she has now with the existing lco verses the high grade work that you will produce...

QualityLawnCare4u
03-22-2007, 11:50 PM
You are right about caring about quality. I will under no circumstance change my price and do less work, ain't gonna happen. Its just that my area is so bad that there are lco's out there that would do a good job on this for half my price, may not be in biz long but 10 more to take there place. I learned along time ago that 90% of the folks here don't care about quality, only cheap. I am hoping being this a well seen place everyday by parents and many others that she will be as ticky about it as I would be. I am still sticking to my price even though high for here. If I get it fine, if not so be it.