PDA

View Full Version : direct mailing

causalitist
03-23-2007, 02:50 AM
i would like to start doing direct mailing.

how do i get started?

i know of some mailing services, but where do you get all the addresses from?

what are the easiest ways to get addresses all in a nice list with names?

where talking 10 thousands..

nick-bigfootlawn
03-23-2007, 04:00 AM
Try SalesGenie.com

causalitist
03-23-2007, 05:42 AM
thanks ... do they only have monthly subscriptions? obviuosly, all i want is a giant list of names and addresses in my city that is up to date once a year in the spring ..

do you use that site? are you able to get all the addresses you want in the spring without "signing up" for monthly crap?

anyone else?

i hear alot about "direct mailings" on this site, but not where to get a list of 20,000 addresses to give to the mailing service.

ooo
03-23-2007, 07:26 AM
You can buy a list or you can make your own and target certain streets/neighborhoods. You can go to:
http://www.co.kenosha.wi.us/apps/propinq/index.phtml
Put in the name of the street you wish to target (dont put number) and you should get a list of people on that street. Start copying the lists of names and paste in Excel. Clean up the the results in excel as you go or when done. You probably should see what format the direct mail company you are using wants it in. I use USPS to do mine. I send the self mailers but its expensive (almost 30 cents each).

causalitist
03-24-2007, 09:01 PM
thansk alot.. i suppose no place will be cheaper than that since no matter what you need to pay for postage.

so do you mean you make up a list of thousands of houses, and then print the adresses on the postcards and drop them in the mail yourself? is that what you mean by "self mailer" ??

causalitist
03-24-2007, 09:06 PM
that site seems like i could get bout 100 adresses an hour max .. thats pretty tedious.

any other places to buy em from? cmon, i know alot of u guys do this.

Flow Control
03-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Go to Goleads.com and you can buy X amount of leads that you can either pull in one day or spread them out over the year. For example I know that 100,000 leads are around 3K. I am guessing if you are only looking for 10-30K is going to be in the 500-1500 range. Then you take that list list to your mail house you have selected and have them design a postcard and merge and mail. Your mail house can probably get the list of information for you. I just did a 8K piece mailing for $2600 but I already had the list of addresses.

grassmanak
03-24-2007, 11:47 PM
yea mailing are very expensive, i was looking at doing around 30K and it was going to be over 10 grand

causalitist
03-26-2007, 12:35 AM
ya, thanks guys, but it costs me $500 for 10,000 flyers/bags and $500 to hire people to pass em out.. thats wayyy cheaper... and the way i look at it people are more likely to throw stuff out they get in the mail.. maybe not, but it certainly isnt any better than a nice bag on their door... just many times as expensive. ...

assuming a 1% response, it costs ~$33 to gain a customer with mailing,

whereas with 1% response, it costs ~$10 to gain a customer with flyers, paying workers to pass em out.

if the flyers are passed out yourself, it would be ~$5/customer

i see no reason to direct mail. thank you guys for informing me so i could make a decision.

if anyone else has input lets have it :)

Duekster
03-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Direct mailing does cost more. you should have been able to tell that by the cost of a stamp.

Good luck in Life and thanks for wasting my time making me read this thread.

garrettlawn
03-26-2007, 08:16 AM
^^^ Nothing like being a royal richard.

ooo
03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
As far as better sites to get a free list, it pretty much depends on the county you live in. Some counties have real nice sites, yours happens to be not too good.
As far as direct mail, I seem to have better quality leads compared to say Pennysaver. So, though I spend more for direct mail, Im bidding complete landscape jobs rather than someone wanting a few sticks picked up in the yard.

causalitist
03-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Duekster -there are discounts, regular, media, in county, card rates .. saturation rate etc..
10000 things <1oz, mailed can cost between $3900 and $400
there is ALOT more to it than the price of a stamp.

go figure, your just uneducated in the matter .. dont bash me for taking a break out of my calculus to ask the other guys that are knowledgable to educate me about direct mailing.

ooo- ya, pay for what you get i guess. good to know its worth it.
so your telling me you found a site for kenosha but it sucked? i dont doubt it lol but what was it? see, i never heard of penny saver ... i'll check it out.

ooo
03-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Pennysaver is a free classified ad 'magazine' that comes in the mail once a week. It may not be in you area.

ArizPestWeed
03-27-2007, 11:46 AM
i would like to start doing direct mailing.

how do i get started?

i know of some mailing services, but where do you get all the addresses from?

what are the easiest ways to get addresses all in a nice list with names?

where talking 10 thousands..

read through past threads .
why should we all repeat what has already been??

ECS
03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
I think you can buy a postal list from your local PO. A friend of ours has a mailing business, for businesses and she purchased her mailing list from the PO.

Put them onto an Excel sheet and build a data base and you can then go to Word and print out some of them or all of them. On a lazer printer it takes about 15-20 seconds to print out 100 individual labels. Just don't loose your data base in Excell, make a copy of it on a flash drive, ZIP, CD or something.

I made my own list for the properties I wanted from our county GIS site.

dutchhook
03-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Sales Genie works for my businesses.
THe list is updated daily and they have great charts showing their credit history, any liens, judgments and suggested credit limit, which is usually low, but just one bad credit decision could pay for it for a year.
THey wanted $400 per month, but I told them it was for one user only and only for the Minneapolis - St Paul market, so they lowered the price to $150 per month.

Steve