PDA

View Full Version : The Peoples Court

lawnman_scott
03-23-2007, 07:16 AM
I filed a small claims suit against someone for a check that was returned, then re-deposited and the account was closed. I got something from the peoples court asking them if I would like the case to be heard there. You get paid $250 even if you lose, and if you win they gaurantee your money that day. So I guess the loser with the bad check gets something too.

I dont know if they go through lawsuit filings, or if she contacted them, but what a way to have your moment of fame.

PearceLawn
03-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I would do it, and when you win, it would send a message to all of the deadbeats we have to deal with year in and year out.

It is wrong to stick it to you lawn guy!!:hammerhead:

Team-Green L&L
03-23-2007, 07:52 AM
If he agrees, I would go on TV. I don't know how that would reflect on your business though. Just something to think about???

supercuts
03-23-2007, 08:01 AM
not quite sure how it would reflect poorly on your customers trying to get paid what your owed. id go for it!

txgrassguy
03-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Heck Yes I'd go for it.
Appear in a new collared polo shirt with your company name all over it, have a few of your employees in the court room dressed the same and shamelessly plug, plug, plug the business every chance you get.

topsites
03-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Unless the check was in the thousands, I'd likely go for it in a new york minute.
I would consider my business in the equation, unfortunately I don't know what kind of effect this could have, might be good, or not.

The only question being, who pays for the travel and all that, I guess it's a bit of a loss leader, still I'd be pretty tempted because either way it's going to cost time, regardless. idk, flip a coin? If it wasn't for the name of my business, still I'd think you'd be ok seeing the circumstances (bounced, then closed acc't) it ought to be obvious to most tv viewers.

ncls
03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I got one of those letters from Judge Larry Joe. Framed it and hung it in the office.. The customer declined to appear. Won a default judgement in small claims court. Now have a lien on their property. I figure I'll be buried and my kids will collect the money.....:rolleyes:

The Captain
03-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Won a default judgement in small claims court. Now have a lien on their property. I figure I'll be buried and my kids will collect the money.....:rolleyes:

Be sure to include your monthly interest fee/rate when filing. Then you should get your billed amount plus the finance and court charges. The way property is being sold, flipped or foreclosed these days you could get your money quicker than you think. The lien shows as a cloud on the property title and the property can't be sold until liens are satisfied. Usually the title company will pay and then deduct from the sellers proceeds.

At least that's the way it's done here.

DBL
03-23-2007, 03:04 PM
do it if you win you get your money and $250 cant beat that

Drew Gemma
03-23-2007, 03:42 PM
why would you not what does it say about your business it says I did the work you owe me x amount of money pay up that is that. I am sorry but I hate ppl who don't pay their bills I spend 90% of my day thinking about money bills retirement and the rest of that stuff. I have done some pretty creative things when it comes time to collect. We bill they get 30 days then two more pass due notices and 3 calls by now this is wasting my time and I hate that crap.

Drew Gemma
03-23-2007, 03:44 PM
oh also don't forget to plug your business while your on camera throw in a cheap plug while they ask you your thoughts. Now that would be great exposure:cool2:

cantoo
03-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Are you sure you want to advertise to the type of people that watch People's Court? I would think they might be interested in stiffing you and getting their moment of fame to.

DiyDave
03-23-2007, 07:27 PM
If nothing else, you are getting paid to look at the purty redheaded judge-Go for it!:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

lawnman_scott
04-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Well today I got a message on the phone from the Judge Judy Show. I was thinking the peoples court was going through suits that were filed, but now I think this moron is trying anything to stay out of a real courtroom for some reason. Judge Judy would rip her apart!!!

troblandscape
04-04-2007, 09:31 PM
So are you going on the show? Keep us posted ...I will drop everything at work to come home and see this.:hammerhead:

Palmer'sLS
04-04-2007, 09:32 PM
So are you going on the show? Keep us posted ...I will drop everything at work to come home and see this.:hammerhead:

same here....judge judy would be cool

topsites
04-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I think the defendant stands a greater chance of walking on TV than in real life, but since you get your money regardless, I guess it doesn't matter.

The People's Court way back when with Judge Wapner was about the closest thing I ever saw to a real life court, that man stuck to the books as much as he could. But today's TV shows are mostly that, just for show. The judges are moody and emotional, their temperament frequently clouds their judgement thou I do see some fairness in it all, whether it's better or worse than real life I can't say for sure, but certainly it's all about the drama.

But I would go, and just say look, I did the work, it costs this much, now pay.
And stick to that, don't let the silly arguments get you going.

lawnman_scott
04-05-2007, 08:59 PM
So are you going on the show? Keep us posted ...I will drop everything at work to come home and see this.:hammerhead:No Im pretty shy and would be all flustered. I dont look forward to the regular court much less Judge Judy.
Maybe its the fact that its a bad check and she has a record that she wants to stay out of court. I guess Judge Judy cant charge her with a crime.

JFGLN
04-06-2007, 11:25 AM
We filed in small claims against a customer, won the case, and put a lien on her property. Several years later she was running for public office. We had reporters calling for more info about the lien. The story ended up in the local newspaper.

MikeLT1Z28
04-06-2007, 11:27 AM
i noticed you are in St. Pete.. don't they film the People's Court in California?

lawnman_scott
04-06-2007, 11:19 PM
i noticed you are in St. Pete.. don't they film the People's Court in California? The letter comes from NY, NY. Right on 5th ave.

lawnman_scott
04-06-2007, 11:27 PM
This just keeps getting better and better. So the door bell rings and its DHL with a letter. From who? Who else, Judge Joe Brown!!! Gauranteed payment of money + court costs in 30 days, hotel and airfare to LA, plus a "generous appearance fee". Its just too weird.

Richard Martin
04-07-2007, 06:20 AM
This just keeps getting better and better. So the door bell rings and its DHL with a letter. From who? Who else, Judge Joe Brown!!! Gauranteed payment of money + court costs in 30 days, hotel and airfare to LA, plus a "generous appearance fee". Its just too weird.

I guess they're (the TV judges) all looking for something besides the usual "he scratched my car" and "her dog bit my dog" cases.

I did think the $250 that the People's Court was offering was a little cheap for a starring role on TV.

Greenguy1
04-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Yeah!! go for it, I will be watching, I don't get burned to often by customers but I have had a few this last year, what makes me the most angry is my office mgr. let's them go for 3 mos. before she tells the crew to stop the service because of non payment. she did that twice last season, what is she thinking? the lien works pretty good but here you have to renew it every year.An apartment mgmt. co. from Texas owed me for plowing ($1200) I put a Lien on the prop. Wow did I ever get they're attention, They threatened to sue me for slander and def. of character (They're lawyers did) it seems they were selling and they had a buyer, so my attorney told them to put the money in esgrow and we will hash it out in court, they thought I would cave in, not this Michigan man!!! they're bark went away and I got a check a year later, man I love our justice system when it is properly executed and withheld

MikeLT1Z28
04-07-2007, 08:37 PM
how about that guy, judge alex i think it is... he looks animated to me.

Jason Pallas
04-07-2007, 08:48 PM
I knew a guy that had a "pooper scooper" service. He went on one of those "People's Court" shows. They paid for everything - it was a day or two in NY - all expesnes paid. He won. Got paid and had a great time in the mean time. I say, if you have the time. go for it. Good Luck.

JJLandscapes
04-07-2007, 11:00 PM
If it wasnt said already since i dont feel like reading 3 pages on the peoples court but

They pay for the losers by the way.. im almost postive since they brought the law classes from HS to be in the audience and thats what they where told...

I did see a landscaper on there once for planting 10 arbivorates that died and he lost