PDA

View Full Version : common ground bid

JKOOPERS
03-23-2007, 11:49 AM
this guy called me yeasterday for bid on the HOAs cg. i go and meet with the guy he gives me the subs plot and everything. then i told him i would walk the property and send him my bid on email last night. well i get a call from him this morning and tells me he has some questions. okay whats up well your price was almost triple what were paying last year . the place is 4.6 acres with a retention basin and about 100 trees to trim around. the last guy was cutting it for $110 how is that possible?

pclawncare
03-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Depends on the lay out of the trees and how they break up the mowing area. Is it 4.6 acres of mowing or are there houses and such on it? Anyway if it is mowing area then his bid would seem a little low to me but yours may be a little high. I think he is getting around 25 buck an acre and your bid if it was 330 is about 73 bucks an acre. I dont know how long you plan for trimming and such and how much the trees are spread out. I would say that with a fast exmark or dixie or something and a big deck you could knock out the mowing in an hour and if you had a guy working for you trimming the whole time i cant see this job taking more then an hour or hour and a half. But without seeing the layout i dont really know even if you took out 50 bucks an hour for trimming on your bid you are still getting somewhere around 62 bucks an acre witch is a little high in my part of the country. Maybe this guy is just a retired guy who wants a little extra cash and doesnt care what his profit margin is. If it takes him 4 hours to do it he doesnt care what else does he have to do.

Flex-Deck
03-23-2007, 06:49 PM
I'd say he was slightly low, and you are major high. Get machines that are efficient. I have a property with a 100 trees, with a small mulch circle, and they don't even slow me down.

pclawncare
03-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Ya thats basicly what i was trying to say flex but yours was a lot shorter thanks

JKOOPERS
03-23-2007, 06:59 PM
thats just the thing the trees are all over grown and some branches are touching the ground. as far as flex deck says my mowers are highly efficient. the place should only take a max 1.5 hours. the guy told me the lco from last year was there from early morning to after lunch . so flex deck what do charge per acre $30 bucks ?

pclawncare
03-23-2007, 07:11 PM
i personaly do around 40 to 45 and found that is quite compeditive in my area but its all about the area

topsites
03-23-2007, 07:21 PM
What was the $110 guy's quote this year?
If he didn't submit a quote this year, where is he, and what happened?
Unfortunately, the short of the story might be that the cheap guy has ruined this customer, idk but you may have to accept that.
Then again, the customer may have to accept they'll be shopping long and hard for an Lco every year or so.

And maybe you are high, but that's the same thing with me selling my 5 y.o. br-420 blower for $200: tough luck because you won't find cheaper plus I have an attitude because it's a Stihl, wore out and all it runs strong and will likely run many more years and a new one's $400 (ok you can get the 550 for that, but $400 + tax, 1 year warranty). You shopping around? Then get the br-600 for $519 + tax w/ warranty, or if you want cheap then get a Pb-4xx series for $299 + tax but gee none of these are the same thing...

Do as you wish, but I'd stick to your guns so long you don't mind someone else might outbid you, I would not do it for less just because someone complains, then again this might be the nature of Hoa's...

roguesuerte
03-23-2007, 09:02 PM
How many postage stamp residentials could you do in the same amount of time? That is what it would be worth to me to do the work, or more, because of all the trees/basin. Sounds like a PITA, especially if they think you are ripping them off out of the gate.

JKOOPERS
03-23-2007, 11:14 PM
no they dont think i am ripping them off. the guy i met with (the president) said he wasnt complaining about the price he was just wondering why i was higher . so i stated my case and he totally understood me. then he said if it was up to him i would start tomorrow but the board has to approve it .

Flex-Deck
03-24-2007, 10:42 AM
thats just the thing the trees are all over grown and some branches are touching the ground. as far as flex deck says my mowers are highly efficient. the place should only take a max 1.5 hours. the guy told me the lco from last year was there from early morning to after lunch . so flex deck what do charge per acre $30 bucks ?

I have about 85 acres of commercial mowing per week all the way from 1 acre areas to 22 acre areas, and I charge $24.50 to $35 per acre. The differences reflect mostly trash pickup problems. Most of these places have lots of trees, but I can get under the overhanging pine trees while mowing, and deciduous trees are not a problem at all, so the higher bids are those places with old trees, that require picking up branches as we mow.

BTW. In this area, I have lost bids at $25 per acre in a couple of cases. I have said this before - You have to bid what the market will bear for certain types of properties, then go out and figure out what types of machines you need that mow that type of properties the fastest and best. That is how the profit margin grows. If I went out and bid $40 per acre, because my present setup requires that to make a profit, I just as well sell the machines, because I will not land a bid.

JKOOPERS
03-24-2007, 11:05 AM
see thats just the thing no one i know cuts for $25- $35 an acre thats just ridiculous. my minimum is $30 for a 5,000 sq ft yard. then i guess we have people like you that will cut an acre for that . wont do it and i will stick too my guns.