PDA

View Full Version : approx. headgasket cost for a 92 chevy 350?

Chop Stuff Up
03-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Just wondering what you'd expect to pay to have this done. I'm pretty sure this is what went on me because 2 days ago the fluids were in good shape and now about 1/2 the antifreeze is gone and the engine is locked up.

git-r-done
03-23-2007, 12:38 PM
does the oil look like white milk?

Chop Stuff Up
03-23-2007, 03:34 PM
does the oil look like white milk?

nope. It looks like soy sauce. It was steaming a little last night and was locked this morning when I went to start it.

git-r-done
03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
did you here a poping sound while you were diving it, did it start to over heat,could you smell hot anti freeze?

Chop Stuff Up
03-23-2007, 04:27 PM
None of the above. It must just be a faulty gasket. Dang thing didn't overheat or anything. It was blowing a little steam last night and seems to have been doing that for the past several weeks. It barely used any antifreeze and I keep on the fluids all the time, I kinda figured the gasket was gonna go. Well now she doesn't turn over and the radiator is 1/2 full. Starter is fine, the engine is locked. I'm getting prices anywhere from 700-1700 and I guess that depends on if they resurface and pressure test the heads or not. This stupid engine doesn't even have 30k on it and it has a warranty, but the people who put it in have been ripping me off like crazy! They added over 1k to the original engine install with stuff that was either broken or worn, then they did the ball joints and one popped out 10k later causing the front to collapse. I really don't want to go back to them unless I really have to. I guess I could go to the mom & pop shop across the street that will do it for 700-ish and leave the heads as they are. I really don't know what to do here. If it didn't overheat the heads should be fine, right?

richallseasons
03-23-2007, 04:39 PM
the shop that installed it is most likely not the holder of the warranty, find out where the engine came from ie. rebuilder or your local napa ect. and call them for a list of qualified installers in your area explaining that the original shop you did business with is not your first choice and can they recomend another that would honer the warranty on the engine, you may have to pay labor charges this way.

git-r-done
03-23-2007, 04:57 PM
if it wont turn the motor is junk,talking to my moter guy right now.

git-r-done
03-23-2007, 05:09 PM
sorry about the spelling very busy!

richallseasons
03-23-2007, 05:48 PM

well thats not entirly true since the lockup can be do to more than one reason ie. spun a bearing, piston through a cylinder wall or coolant in a cylinder causing hydraulic lock as liquid cannot be compressed ect., my point being that you cannot diagnos the problem from a computer keyboard and you must certainly find a shop that can help you if you are not able to handle this repair yourself.

Duncan90si
03-23-2007, 05:52 PM

Thats not always true. Sometimes nothing is wrong at all. Other times there might be a bent connecting rod or two. The majority of the time the motor is not completely junk. If the motor has less than 30K on it then its well worth the put a couple rods in it.

Pull your spark plugs out and try to crank the motor then. If cranks over and there is antifreexe coming out then thats actually good, as opposed to if it doesn't turn over then you more than likely have a few bent rods. The heads should be fine.

lawnmaniac883
03-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Thats not always true. Sometimes nothing is wrong at all. Other times there might be a bent connecting rod or two. The majority of the time the motor is not completely junk. If the motor has less than 30K on it then its well worth the put a couple rods in it.

Pull your spark plugs out and try to crank the motor then. If cranks over and there is antifreexe coming out then thats actually good, as opposed to if it doesn't turn over then you more than likely have a few bent rods. The heads should be fine.

Call me stuipid but connecting rods dont bend, they snap in half.

Duncan90si
03-24-2007, 02:41 AM
Call me stuipid but connecting rods dont bend, they snap in half.

No I'm not calling you stupid. :) If you hydrolock a motor at a higher RPM then yes they will snap. If the motor hydrolocks at a lower RPM (such as 2500RPM and under) they can bend. They won't always bend but they can and will. One common example: If you know anyone that has worked on a few 3.8L GM v6s that has the plastic intake manifold, ask them about bent rods. The plastic IM over time will crack near the EGR valve along a water jacket sending coolant into the combustion chamber usually hydrolocking the motor and are very prone to bending rods when this happens.

lawnmaniac883
03-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Learn something new every day, thanks for the info!

xcopterdoc
03-24-2007, 09:56 PM
It blew a headgasket for a reason. I'd remove both heads, have em check and decked if needed. Check the block deck for flatness also. The 5.7 is a good engine and not all that prone to headgasket failures. I show it to be a 10 hr labor job in my books. Thats just for the head gasket replacement. You could also have an intake gasket issue. No telling until you tear it down.

Chop Stuff Up
03-25-2007, 08:45 PM
I just drove it to the shop and it ran great. I think its just had a really slow leak for a long time. For several months now it has been using a small amount of antifreeze and on a cold start it would be sluggish under 2,000 rpm's but fix itself in about 10 mins. I originally thought that that was a fuel delivery issue. I just went out and started pulling the spark plugs... 2nd one I pulled the antifreeze came out. I cranked it, replaced the plug, started it, and drove it straight to the shop. This engine has never overheated or even came close and the miles are so low on it. The engine is a reman from Canada. I think the headgasket is defective or installed wrong. But like you said I really won't know until its pulled apart. They can't get to it until Thursday. I took it to a different shop than the one who installed the engine because I know I can trust them. Hopefully its determined to just be a faulty gasket and they can put a new one on and call it a day... or two. Hey if it was installed wrong I can always say it was the Canadians that did it :laugh: .

Chop Stuff Up
03-28-2007, 07:16 AM
yikes!!!!!

xcopterdoc
03-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Probably already a done deal.. but if you have any future problems, I would have the head and block surfaces checked for straightness. A 25 dollar part and oodles of labor! Hate when that happens!:-)

Chop Stuff Up
03-28-2007, 11:33 PM
The heads have been sent off and should be back tomorrow or friday. I figured it was worth the extra money. They say it overheated, so I guess my gauge is broke! Maybe the thermostat too.