PDA

View Full Version : Cutting lines other than stripes/diagonals

TGM
03-23-2007, 12:48 PM
how many of you get creative and cut yards in different shapes (half moons, triangles, etc.)? have anyone's customer actually complained about it? i think it's cool to do something different every now and then...so long as the property doesn't wind up looking like a rainbow.

topsites
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes, some folks will complain, just be aware of it and what I do when someone says something is I realize they probably don't know any better but I just racetrack it from then on, it's the easy way out for me and it takes less time in my case so I don't care. You'll have to pay attention to the comments, more often than not a complaint about striping comes across as appearing to be something else, such as 'it doesnt look like my lawn was cut evenly / it looks like you missed several sections in rows' and other apparently weird comments, but I haven't had someone who is all about their yard's appearance complain yet but that's just me.

As for creativity, striping really is kinda like an art, some guys here do curvy designs, I myself do criss-cross patterns, up to you.
It would appear it has to do with ability, in my case it's not that I don't like curves (I love them) but I can't seem to get my mower to do them right, I guess I must be straight line enabled lol.

In this picture, I had to pop a wheelie at the mulch bed and turn at the very edge with the deck overhanging the timbers to keep it straight, but I love a challenge so long it's straight lines, weird.

TGM
03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
i find it's easy to create curves with a walker on a healthy lawn. the first 2 or 3 lines i may have to adjust, but after that it's easy.

i'm just posing this question because my old boss gave me crap for doing an L shaped lawn in a C shape (about 3/4 of a circle). if i do a creative design, it's usually only on the front lawn. the rest i'll do stripes due to time.

F&SLawnCo
03-23-2007, 03:14 PM
I have one customer that requests we do a USA in the front yard every july. We leave the lettering 3 inches taller than the rest of the yard. First time is a ***** but after that it's pretty simple. Extra 25 dollars per service.

1MajorTom
03-23-2007, 03:23 PM
There is a guy on here that has done some nice work with some designs. One of them being stars. Problem is, the pictures aren't showing up now, but here is the thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=76443&highlight=star

If you look at his avatar though, you can see a design.

corey4671
03-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Yes, some folks will complain, just be aware of it and what I do when someone says something is I realize they probably don't know any better but I just racetrack it from then on, it's the easy way out for me and it takes less time in my case so I don't care. You'll have to pay attention to the comments, more often than not a complaint about striping comes across as appearing to be something else, such as 'it doesnt look like my lawn was cut evenly / it looks like you missed several sections in rows' and other apparently weird comments, but I haven't had someone who is all about their yard's appearance complain yet but that's just me.

As for creativity, striping really is kinda like an art, some guys here do curvy designs, I myself do criss-cross patterns, up to you.
It would appear it has to do with ability, in my case it's not that I don't like curves (I love them) but I can't seem to get my mower to do them right, I guess I must be straight line enabled lol.

In this picture, I had to pop a wheelie at the mulch bed and turn at the very edge with the deck overhanging the timbers to keep it straight, but I love a challenge so long it's straight lines, weird.

is that with the Warrior and if so, do you have any kind of striping attachment installed?

topsites
03-23-2007, 05:51 PM
is that with the Warrior and if so, do you have any kind of striping attachment installed?

The one in the picture was done with the Wb and usually I try and remember to load the kit or use the one with the chains (both my Wb's can hook the Chekmate kit, but one has a permanent homemade chain one which I think I'll put on the other one also), but the Warrior has no kit as of yet, all commercial mowers stripe fairly well even without, the kit does help thou.

You can usually tell, by the center stripe, that's the velke... Also, most yards are either / or, but not both because of deck width, it frustrates to try and follow a 48" with a 60" or vice versa, so I try not to alternate machines on yards (at least not between wb and Z).

The trick to the Wb, more so if you have a velke, is to turn off turf or at the very edge so the velke's center stripe doesn't swing in and out towards the end... I've heard comments talk about the 3rd stripe looking odd, but I find so long all 3 stripes are straight the entire length it looks ok, gives it a 'windowed' look along the criss-cross, almost like #'s or if you ignore the outer two, it's like a + in every square...

Envy Lawn Service
03-23-2007, 06:03 PM
how many of you get creative and cut yards in different shapes (half moons, triangles, etc.)? have anyone's customer actually complained about it? i think it's cool to do something different every now and then...so long as the property doesn't wind up looking like a rainbow.

Yeah... I can get into some pretty intense patterns here and there.
Breaks the boredom and the customers who like stripes seem to enjoy it.

I also do some different patterns other than straight lines on properties with layouts that take forever to lay straight stripes across.

naturescape
03-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Sometimes I think following a contour can look pretty hot! Here's one of the lawns I maintain.

corey4671
03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
got this from my mother in law's new house. it was the first cut of the season and the grass is not very well established yet as the house was just built late last fall in the middle of an old cow pasture. had to check and make sure I still had all the fillings in my teeth after I got through with it as this thing is like riding over railroad tracks!

Envy Lawn Service
03-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Sometimes I think following a contour can look pretty hot! Here's one of the lawns I maintain.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=76648&stc=1&d=1174688128

Yep... that's what I mean...

Looks great...AND...It's a more productive way to stripe too.
Long passes with minimal times turning around to go the other way.

corey4671
03-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I noticed the ad for the jungle jim's striper has a disclaimer that says this product is not intended to be used in the formation of crop circles.

ed2hess
03-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Interesting how you guys up north worry about patterns....we use every possible direction to get er done. We normally go in circles, sometime key-stone-kop drill and mostly radomn....the nice thing about mulchers you just cut grass.

Duekster
03-23-2007, 09:24 PM
can you stripe a typical bermuda job? I am in texas, I think this is best done on winter grass.

Envy Lawn Service
03-23-2007, 09:29 PM
can you stripe a typical bermuda job? I am in texas, I think this is best done on winter grass.

Yes... I do it... but it does not stripe as easy as cool season grass.

Duekster
03-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Yes... I do it... but it does not stripe as easy as cool season grass.

Any good pics?

CutNLawns
03-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Here are some i do at a Wal-Mart. Pic is poor because it was from my phone and also taken in Oct. I'll get better pics this spring when the grass is actually green. Wal-Mart doesn't care but it sits down in a hole and is easily visible from the busy highway above. Besides i like it!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/2500HD/ChesterStripes.jpg

Duekster
03-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Here are some i do at a Wal-Mart. Pic is poor because it was from my phone and also taken in Oct. I'll get better pics this spring when the grass is actually green. Wal-Mart doesn't care but it sits down in a hole and is easily visible from the busy highway above. Besides i like it!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/2500HD/ChesterStripes.jpg

Gotta love WM.

Those are some tough accounts.

I have a few.

PM me if you want to talk

MowJob
03-23-2007, 11:18 PM
OK I will show some of my work I guess

MowJob
03-23-2007, 11:21 PM
and 1 more

1MajorTom
03-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Nice lawns Craig.

Chop Stuff Up
03-23-2007, 11:48 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76442

click here and go to post 20

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Any good pics?

I'm sure I put some up here long ago...
Trying to dig them back up is the fun part...

MowJob
03-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Nice lawns Craig.

Thank you Jodi

naturescape
03-24-2007, 02:21 AM
Yep... that's what I mean...

Looks great...AND...It's a more productive way to stripe too.
Long passes with minimal times turning around to go the other way.

Thanks, Envy.

TGM
03-26-2007, 09:01 AM
it's nice to see some other people doing the same!

CutNLawns- i used to do a particular lawn exactly like that on the front. i did two houses where i would create one line up the center of the property, then diagonal out on both sides...made a triangle shape. and i had another i did uniquely.

btw, those pics on the stars and stripes thread aren't showing up except for the avatar.