PDA

View Full Version : JRCO Dethatcher

nick858
03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Anybody use JRCO dethatcher for the front of a ZTR? Looks like a good product, I have a Super Z Im thinking of putting it on. Any opinions are welcome.
thanks

RedMax Man
03-23-2007, 06:43 PM
They're a good tool, i had a 46" dethatcher on my Walkbehind last spring and will switch it to the Walker this season.

iowa
03-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Very nice to have if you offer power raking/dethatching. Saves time rather then going over it once with a dedicated power rake and then mowing it.

turfsolutions
03-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Great for that and also matted leaves in the lawn for spring and fall cleanups.

Dstosh
03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Just used mine for the first time today on my own lawn, It is still a bit wet here. I love the thing. In combination with a collection system, It is awesome. Do a search, there is tons of info on this site about the jrco rakes.

haybaler
03-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Just put my new one on today. there a little underbuilt but work great.

Dstosh
03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Just put my new one on today. there a little underbuilt but work great.

Yeah I forgot about that. They are a bit flimsy. But then again I dont want a metric ton hanging of the front of my mower. So it is what it is.

googles
03-23-2007, 09:48 PM
how much do they cost? i heard i would have to also buy a steel post setup to hold the attachments. also compared to a bluebird thatcher how are they?

txgrassguy
03-23-2007, 11:05 PM
I have one for my 60", a real money maker$
And three for my 21"'s = more money.
I sell aerifications followed by mowing/debris collection then vacuum with my Navigator.
Three guys bring in over $1,400.00 gross each day, I have over a week's worth of work lined up and with my growing season I do this at least twice per year:drinkup:

Duekster
03-23-2007, 11:08 PM
I have one for my 60", a real money maker$
And three for my 21"'s = more money.
I sell aerifications followed by mowing/debris collection then vacuum with my Navigator.
Three guys bring in over $1,400.00 gross each day, I have over a week's worth of work lined up and with my growing season I do this at least twice per year:drinkup:

Can you tell me more about that because pep's have so shitty lawns about 2 years after the house is built.

DLCS
03-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Heres a thread with picutures of one that I built. I might have $200 into it, much heavier duty than the JRCO. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=138313&highlight=dethatcher

txgrassguy
03-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Sure, I up sell the needed aerifications here in Texas because the soil is so crappy. Clay based, a real turd to try and grow grass on.
I sell the aerifications based upon the obvious need for the plant health, then tell the customers they probably don't want to track the soil cores into their nice house.
So we sell the aerification, raking, debris clean-up then a fertilization usually accompanied by an irrigation check out to make sure everything is working okay.
I have many customers in the same neighborhoods I have sold this program too and they are my best reference. People always ask how/why their lawns look so good and my customers refer to me.
What I hear time and again is that the new customers need to learn to look beyond the higher service price as my existing customers have observed a marked decrease in irrigation water bills, fungicide app's, and a healthier appearing turf.
The new customers' who balk are the ones I don't want anyways.

googles
03-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Heres a thread with picutures of one that I built. I might have $200 into it, much heavier duty than the JRCO. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=138313&highlight=dethatcher

well i seen better LoL. I am just kidding. What a great job you did. how long did it take you? do you have more pictures of it. It looks professional and heavy duty. love the handle also. How does it work on the lawns?

DLCS
03-24-2007, 02:35 PM
well i seen better LoL. I am just kidding. What a great job you did. how long did it take you? do you have more pictures of it. It looks professional and heavy duty. love the handle also. How does it work on the lawns?

Thanks

I figure it took us about 2 days minus the paint. Works very well, I use it on most clean-ups. Not only does it help control thatch but it works well for cleaning up pine needles and twigs. You just rake em up and push them in piles. I'll get some more pics when we start clean-ups, next week.

Duekster
03-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Sure, I up sell the needed aerifications here in Texas because the soil is so crappy. Clay based, a real turd to try and grow grass on.
I sell the aerifications based upon the obvious need for the plant health, then tell the customers they probably don't want to track the soil cores into their nice house.
So we sell the aerification, raking, debris clean-up then a fertilization usually accompanied by an irrigation check out to make sure everything is working okay.
I have many customers in the same neighborhoods I have sold this program too and they are my best reference. People always ask how/why their lawns look so good and my customers refer to me.
What I hear time and again is that the new customers need to learn to look beyond the higher service price as my existing customers have observed a marked decrease in irrigation water bills, fungicide app's, and a healthier appearing turf.
The new customers' who balk are the ones I don't want anyways.

Thanks

and these are the Jrco products we are talking about which bolt on to mowers? When you say rake, you mean the dethatcher or are you using a power rake.

txgrassguy
03-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Yep, the spring tine rake which mounts to the front of my ztrs.