PDA

View Full Version : The worst commercial mower you've owned.

chipk1
03-23-2007, 11:35 PM
What is the worst commercial mower you owned? Manufacture, model, year, and why it is the worst?

jtkplc
03-23-2007, 11:56 PM
What is the worst commercial mower you owned? Manufacture, model, year, and why it is the worst?

61" Wright Sentar. I'm not sure on the year, I think a 2003-2005 though. It had a 25hp Kawasaki. I hated everything about that mower except the quality of cut and power, both were excellent. I wanted to run that mower into a pond. It makes my blood pressure rise just thinking about that thing...UGH :angry:

ncls
03-24-2007, 01:18 AM
52" bobcat rider. Actually, the mower wan't bad, but the supplier, Haywood Industries?, sucked the life out of it. They never had parts in stock for it.

Haywood? sucks.

I want to be correct on the supplier. I will get confirmation and post back. This is a regional supplier, and they blow at what they are supposed to do.

txgrassguy
03-24-2007, 02:42 AM
A Howard Price 180 large area mower.
That pos broke faster than a democrat in front of a senate committee on ethics.
80 hp Perkins diesel engine was the only thing good about that machine.
Sum b i t c h broke literally every time it was run.

jrc lawncare
03-24-2007, 08:12 AM
What is the worst commercial mower you owned? Manufacture, model, year, and why it is the worst? Lesco floating deck wb. Couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Horrendous cut, & controls sucked. Bought another tthp.

2 clowns mowing
03-24-2007, 08:16 AM
husqavarna ztr 60" cut it left strips when cutting dealer said i need to mow yard twice? i got my money back

Rons Rightway Lawncare
03-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Encore 60 inch hydro walkbehind..... It left a strip of clippings between the far left and middle blades, and overall did not have a good cut. I also owned a Encore 48 inch and pair of 36 inch walkbehinds, they all sucked, but the 60 was the worse.

PearceLawn
03-24-2007, 08:56 AM
44" Toro ztr. Broke so many times I can't count them. It also had an electrical problem no one seemed to be able to figure out.

GreenN'Clean
03-24-2007, 09:12 AM
I had ztr husky for about 6 months and wasn't happy with it. It was a used machine when I got it and didn't cut well with new blades and just didn't do that well for me so I sold it for a small loss

Mowingman
03-24-2007, 09:46 AM
JD, 60" ZTR with 25 HP Kohler engine. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned.

creatived
03-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Vac Garbage

Duekster
03-24-2007, 09:57 AM
I am getting ready to buy a duel hydro 36" next week.

I was considering a lesco but I am worried about service but then again, we do most the service ourselves.

Will be used on Bermuda Grass.

Shady Brook
03-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Scag Turf Runner! Worst machine ever made, hands down. I spoke to several mechanics who worked on them and other commerical mowers, and they hated them. One head mechanic said in response to my asking what he thought of the Turf Runner "I hate them Mother*&%T^*(" Not very professional, but it got the point across.

leafitalawn
03-24-2007, 10:41 AM
GREAT DANE Champ 32". Slow as molasses, single hydro w/ brakes on each of the rear wheels that constantly needed to be adjusted...and had to keep a hand on the speed control or it would back down to slower..

Swampy
03-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Howard Price WAM. We didn't even have it 6 months before the paint flaked off of it let alone broke down about once a week.

Rhett
03-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Lesco 52 in walk behind. After one year deck was so flexible you could push down on the handles and see the deck flex. Cut like crap. Put a 48 deck on it and used two more years before selling it. Not too bright as I have another 48 hydro Lesco on the trailer now. Prices are good but the support, quality of cut and ease of use are subpar.

alwaysgreener
03-24-2007, 11:03 AM
All of our Cub Cadet commercial mowers.... they are gone now..

Fox Lawn & Garden
03-24-2007, 11:10 AM
alwaysgreener: would you please explain your answer?
I've had Cub Cadet mowers for many years and find them very reliable.

alwaysgreener
03-24-2007, 11:21 AM
alwaysgreener: would you please explain your answer?
I've had Cub Cadet mowers for many years and find them very reliable.

We had 4 Tanks 72" decks and all of them had problems with the hydro pumps and the dealer support was crappy, slow turn around and they had no idea what was going on.. Then all 3 of the G1336 had trans go out on them and again dealer support was crap and turn around was very slow.. Also they have a very poor quality cut, so we sold them and went to Exmark..Never had a problem with them and the cut is superb..

chipk1
03-24-2007, 11:22 AM
All of our Cub Cadet commercial mowers.... they are gone now..

Not very helpful without you reasoning?

alwaysgreener
03-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Not very helpful without you reasoning?

Do you need a reason?? The name says it all..Sorry but i'm not a Cub Cadet fan..

Jason Rose
03-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Lesco 36" belt drive. Hardest POS to operate in the world, Like driving a sherman tank and trying to maneuver it around things in a lawn. I think there was a reason I was like the 4th owner of this mower! Someone else got to be the 5th, and I heard they sold it pretty quick to someone else too!

ed2hess
03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
36" Snapper WB belt drive....about 7 years ago....just simply would not pull after small use on belts. Company bought it back gave us a new model same story sold it for half price.

Loy's Home Services, LLC
03-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Encore 60 inch hydro walkbehind..... It left a strip of clippings between the far left and middle blades, and overall did not have a good cut. I also owned a Encore 48 inch and pair of 36 inch walkbehinds, they all sucked, but the 60 was the worse.

I have had a 36" hydro and it's a great machine. Maybee you have bad luck w/ encore. I run toro and john deere for my riders. There good to.

Lynden-Jeff
03-24-2007, 08:32 PM
52" bobcat rider. Actually, the mower wan't bad, but the supplier, Haywood Industries?, sucked the life out of it. They never had parts in stock for it.

Haywood? sucks.

I want to be correct on the supplier. I will get confirmation and post back. This is a regional supplier, and they blow at what they are supposed to do.

This is the worst commercial mower, not mower supplier. Our bobcat supplier sucks (the place that my dealer purchases from, NOT my dealer) as well but the mowers IMO are second to none. Easy maintenance, good engines, heavy duty everything, AMAZING cut and now they have been purchased by a great company. Definitely not the worst!!

Cheers
Jeff

one man gang
03-24-2007, 08:41 PM
61" Wright Sentar. I'm not sure on the year, I think a 2003-2005 though. It had a 25hp Kawasaki. I hated everything about that mower except the quality of cut and power, both were excellent. I wanted to run that mower into a pond. It makes my blood pressure rise just thinking about that thing...UGH :angry:

I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I'm picking up a new one Wed.. Oh well, at least you said it cuts good right?

DeereHauler
03-24-2007, 09:20 PM
old old toro, with the chain drive. it resembled a dixie chopper. was heavy as could be, and drove through anything, but every other thing about it sucked!
i trust toros have improve since then, but that machine was worth more as scrap.

Mowman16
03-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I have only had eXmark so far, and don't intend to switch. No problems yet.

DiyDave
03-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Gravely pro 200-poorly designed, poorly built, kept breaking down, dealer(s) only wanted to argue, not fix....Need I say more?:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

RedMax Man
03-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Lesco 36" belt drive. Hardest POS to operate in the world, Like driving a sherman tank and trying to maneuver it around things in a lawn. I think there was a reason I was like the 4th owner of this mower! Someone else got to be the 5th, and I heard they sold it pretty quick to someone else too!

Now that sounds bad, at least 5 owners.:dizzy: I haven't heard many good things about Lesco mowers, more bad than good. I think they should just stick to doing fert. not making mowers.

ProStreetCamaro
03-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Scag 36" WB. Its tough as nails but it has the worst cut of any mower I have ever seen.

BeautifulBlooms
03-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Glad to hear my Ferris IS 1500 Z wasn't mentioned. I hope all goes well in my first year. Only thing I am worried about is the guy who sold it to me with 25 hours on it wasn't honest and had a lemon or something. He said it was simply too much mower for his home lawn.

jtkplc
03-25-2007, 12:06 PM
I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I'm picking up a new one Wed.. Oh well, at least you said it cuts good right?

Well, not everyone agrees with me on this. Many happy Sentar owners are on this site. So you may like the things I didn't like.

Winslow Mountain Lawncare
03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I had a EXMARK Explorer. If you are not familair with it, it was sort of like a new navigator or walker, bagged only. What a piece of crap it was, outlet tube plugged constantly, broke down often etc.......I got rid of it as soon as i could, lost my a$$ on it but it was gone.
Other than that i havent had problems with any of my exmarks
Tyler

ProStreetCamaro
03-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Lets face it guys there is going to be somebody that hates every mower. Example would be the Cub Tanks. There are a bunch on here that have and love them and a couple that hated them and got rid of them. Not every machine is suited for everybody and not everybody has good luck with a particular machine.

lawn and stump
03-26-2007, 08:40 AM
The early Sentars had hydo problems. The Sentar 11's are great. I have 3
61" 25hp and have no complaints. You can put a tine rake on front and they are still short. Spring cleanups are quick, just lower the blades to 2 inches and mow in one direction. Also I don't need a walk behind for hills like I did with my lazer.

ProMo
03-26-2007, 08:47 AM
my worst was a 92 scag ztr the motor blew at 1000 hrs just out of warranty. The motor was under the seat not much cooling down there

Prestige-Lawncare
03-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Lets face it guys there is going to be somebody that hates every mower. Example would be the Cub Tanks. There are a bunch on here that have and love them and a couple that hated them and got rid of them. Not every machine is suited for everybody and not everybody has good luck with a particular machine.

Good reply ....

Like a lot of things in life ... there is always going to be someone who doesn't like something. When it comes to mowers (or any power equipment or tools) .. so much depends on what you are using it on. Different grass or turf types, different terrain, etc.

pugs
03-26-2007, 03:33 PM

Haywood? sucks.

Hayward? We are a dealer and bobcat just switched us from our distributor to them...Our old distributor was nothing to brag about, but their parts guy and his stock was TOP NOTCH. I call this new place and they cannot tell me anything beyond what the computer says...I have some spindle bearing on back order right now for warranty repair...Spindle bearings? COME ON GUYS. Beginning of the season and you dont have spindle bearings?

If it werent for the fact that the mowers are darn good, I think we would have Scag or Ferris or Toro or someone else in here.

The mayor
03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I have a Encore prowler. Nice mower, so I have no complants on that...but try to get parts for it, It takes a long time. Glad I have a back up. That make things suck.

Richard Martin
03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
old old toro, with the chain drive. it resembled a dixie chopper. was heavy as could be, and drove through anything, but every other thing about it sucked!

It was a Dixie. Back in the early days Dixie built Toro and Wheel Horse branded ZTRs. There's a pic of a Wheel Horse Dixie here somewhere on Lawnsite. Back then that was about as good as it got.

AbsoluteH&L
03-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I'm picking up a new one Wed.. Oh well, at least you said it cuts good right? Don't worry there are plenty of happy Sentar owners. The floating deck dosen't float all that well with the weight of the motor and hyros on it but I still like the mower.

ctoiz
03-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I have owned a Woods Mowin' Machine for @6 years now. The local dealer who has 2 of these machines in service in the same town doesn't even stock a bolt for it and it takes an act of congress to get one! I have a walker GHS... all kinds of parts for that one.:)

Frue
03-21-2008, 09:58 AM
exmark 26 had alot of issues cables, poor quality of cut, andgas used to pour out of the vent on hills

2007 56 triton with the update kit. Left a strip of grass uncut when the new piece that was welded got cloged. In the spring on a 17,000 ft lawn I had to unplug it 2 times. It was poor design for the PA lawns to deep of a deck. I think the right depth is 5.5 deep.

AdamChrap
03-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Kubota ZD 28 60" Deck!!!!! What a POS it was broke more than it was working. Engine ran great but the rest as far as the hydro system and all was junk! Wouldn't even go up a decent hill it would just sit there on the bottom of the hill at full stick! They replaced the pumps and I think a motor and then it still did the same thing! Did we ever lose money on this machine! Grrrrrrrr!

mowman84
03-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Gravely 36 belt drive walkbehing. horrable cut, transmission was messed up, bagger was crap.

FINELAWNS
03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I think that the worst mower I used in the 22 years in bussines ,was an exmark.
the thing fell apart within a year, didd you guys ever shook a bucket of bolts ??
same thing.
My best mower was 72" hustler 3400 got it since 92, its retired now but it was sweet.
I have now a 66" 60" and new 48 super duty hustler and so far not a peep out of them.
I also have 3 scaggs 2 bunton walk bihind and a 60" bobcat . No to bad either.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT YEAR.
FRANK. AT FL&G

ponyboy
03-21-2008, 11:07 AM
27 years in business worst was a landscaper supply,now landscapper pro or aka black rock might even be the red hawk now they are crap thin deck metal it would flex like crazy and cut like crap. next would be lesco good for the first two maybee three years then they are done thats why they are so cheap they know they are not the best quality you get what you pay for. Have been happy with bobcat, ferris and scag and one good year with an everide stand on. Scag will be the next ones to go would like to go all to ferris floating deck wb but they are expensive. we run 10 mower each day and all of our mowers are 3 years old or newer so we rotate to keep them new and sell them for good money. my thoughts if it is a cheap machine new $wise then it is probally a cheap machine quality wise.

coonman
03-21-2008, 11:07 AM
2004 36 inch Wright Stander. It was one rutting machine, tires too narrow. One thing after another would break, the engine blew after about 50 hours, luckily the warranty covered it. Overall we had nothing but problems with that tank.

ponyboy
03-21-2008, 11:12 AM
how is an engine a mowers companies fault it is either kawi,kohler,or BS maybee honda not the mowers companies's fault

cgaengineer
03-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Exmark Metro 26"...what a load of garbage! I was laughing all the way to the bank when I sold it!

coonman
03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
how is an engine a mowers companies fault it is either kawi,kohler,or BS maybee honda not the mowers companies's fault

It was a Kawi, obviously not Wright's fault. I was just listing all the problems we had with that mower. The engine blowing was just one of many.

cgaengineer
03-21-2008, 12:31 PM
And just to add to my post...

The Exmark Metro 26" coming with a 6HP Kawi was Exmarks fault, not because the engine didn't have power because this engine is used on many 21" mowers and works great.

ponyboy
03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
guys i am sorry i never used anything smaller than a 48 with a 13 hp way back when now they all have 21 kawi so i guess a 6hp could be the companies fault for putting on a samll engine sorry

Blueribbonlawns
03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Crapsman 30'' rider i stoped buying used equipment after that one.

CrimsonLawnCare
03-21-2008, 12:57 PM
we run only exmarks, We really like them great service and realible beyond belief :)

mowerbrad
03-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Haywood? sucks.

Same here, i like my 2005 bob-cat 52" but the dealers around me are horrible.

Rcgm
03-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Biggest pieace of junk I ever owned was a Crapper or some say Snapper Z rider with the joystick control. What a piece of junk it was. All the aluminum kept stripping out hydros problems cutting deck sounded like a 747 engine after you threw a truck load of gravel in it. Also another pile was a 36 inch Lesco walkbehind that thing left a strip of mulched up grass down the center of the deck even after 10 different types of blades. Complete piles of junk.

I use only Wright standers now and love em

RCGM
Brad

Harry0
03-21-2008, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=ProStreetCamaro;1765062]Scag 36" WB. Its tough as nails but it has the worst cut of any mower I have ever seen.[/QUO\\

My 36inch Scags have great cuts. I wonder if your blades were set right? I prefer it over a 21 inch snapper or our 48 inch great danes any day of the week.

lawnwizards
03-21-2008, 07:08 PM
an encore 32". it had starter issues from day one. it cut good when it would start. finally got rid of it for a loss.

IN2MOWN
03-21-2008, 07:09 PM
My first mower was an old belt driven 48 inch Scag with no brakes. Biggest POS I have ever used.

RM n WS
03-21-2008, 08:17 PM
For me the exmark 26", 36" belt drive and 44" Z turn with the qvc bag system all were junk. I guess I was just hard headed. I wasted so much money on the wrong equipment I'm ashamed to admit it.

hockeypro1411
03-21-2008, 09:45 PM
wow glad to see nobody mentioned anything bad about hustlers. only good stuff said about them.

RM n WS
03-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I had a hustler 48" hydro. That darn thing would cut anything in front of it and gave me zero problems. The dealer was not very close to me and as you well know "time is money".

tb8100
03-22-2008, 04:24 AM
Well after reading this thread....

Toro sucks, Scag sucks, Encore sucks, Cub Cadet sucks, Exmark sucks, Wright sucks, Lesco sucks......who else? ;)

D & J Lawn Care
03-22-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm still making payments on a cub cudet (commercial)Zwing 48 it folds up the deck to 34in $5400 got hooked like a dummy at a expo show the worst cut ever lost accounts left and right and had these half blades 6 of them at a cost of like $12 a peice Had a flat and the dealer had no info for a replacement in the main system so it sat in a customer back yard for a week I called everyday to the company just trying to get some kind of credit towards a new tank end up seling it on ebay for 3k

grassman177
03-22-2008, 10:28 AM
wright sentars, they older ones were junk, hydros failed, engine problems cause of poor filtration. they told me the new ones were better, but once stung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we had three only for one year, then got rid of them and went with everride. great choice

Bruce's Lawn Service
03-23-2008, 12:31 PM
wright sentars, they older ones were junk, hydros failed, engine problems cause of poor filtration. they told me the new ones were better, but once stung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we had three only for one year, then got rid of them and went with everride. great choice

Had Sentar 48 for 2yrs. Spindels were replaced first season and again one yr later when traded in. Also had trouble starting when cold.

ProStreetCamaro
03-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Well after reading this thread....

Toro sucks, Scag sucks, Encore sucks, Cub Cadet sucks, Exmark sucks, Wright sucks, Lesco sucks......who else? ;)

Like I said in a previous post no matter what brand somebody owns somebody is going to have problems. A thread like this is really useless.

VanceTrendov
03-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Every time I have owned a kohler engine I have had a problem...That makes me 4/4 on kohler engine problems to engines owned. Now i dont let anything in my garage unless its says Kawasaki. I am 0/14 on engine problems with the kawis.

Vance

VanceTrendov
03-23-2008, 02:07 PM
exmark 26 had alot of issues cables, poor quality of cut, andgas used to pour out of the vent on hills

2007 56 triton with the update kit. Left a strip of grass uncut when the new piece that was welded got cloged. In the spring on a 17,000 ft lawn I had to unplug it 2 times. It was poor design for the PA lawns to deep of a deck. I think the right depth is 5.5 deep.

I agree..I was the first Lawn care compnay around here to use the 26, and it sucked. I took it back to my dealer and said i wanted a 21...10 mins later i left with a exchange slip, and a new 21.

vance

creatived
03-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Exmark Is The Best Period You Can't Even Argue It!!!!!! Worste I Have Had Was Great Dane 52" Super Surfer, Giant Vac 42" Snapper 36" Scag Turfrunner. I Have Seen Lazers Have 10,000hrs On Them.

bigclawn
03-23-2008, 02:52 PM
This thread is yr old--let's give it a rest and focus on POSITIVE things!

iluvbermuda
03-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Snapper 21" self prop with 6hp Subaru. Went through 3 transmissions and still didn't work right. After 1 year sole it for $75. JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK

SNAPPER MAN
03-23-2008, 04:31 PM
My toro 32" tbar was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I sold it and bought a Cubcadet Commercial 32" and my guys love the cub.

ProStreetCamaro
03-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Every time I have owned a kohler engine I have had a problem...That makes me 4/4 on kohler engine problems to engines owned. Now i dont let anything in my garage unless its says Kawasaki. I am 0/14 on engine problems with the kawis.

Vance

We are the exact opposite of you. We have never had a good kawasaki and have never had a bad kohler. Both of our big local dealers told me outright they prefer kohler over kaw because they have fewer kohlers come back in with problems.

WildLake
03-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Exmark Is The Best Period You Can't Even Argue It!!!!!! Worste I Have Had Was Great Dane 52" Super Surfer, Giant Vac 42" Snapper 36" Scag Turfrunner. I Have Seen Lazers Have 10,000hrs On Them.

I run lazers, but never got 10k out of one!

bigclawn
03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
i been around machines dailey for 40 years now and I would be quick to say I there's a seriously faulty hour meter out there. 10K---no way--

freshcut419
03-23-2008, 09:26 PM
2003 SCAG tiger cub wheel motors ripped out of the frame both side only 2 years old

lifetree
03-23-2008, 09:53 PM
... Both of our big local dealers told me outright they prefer kohler over kaw because they have fewer kohlers come back in with problems.

My dealer said he prefers Kohler to Kawasaki as well ... also, he said it's easier to get parts and they're cheaper !!

mexiking
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM

wow you owned a lot of encores to hate them...

J&J Customs
03-24-2008, 12:49 AM
no lie the best push mower ive ever had was a Murray 21" cut and i think it had a 3.5hp briggs on it. i bought it from walmart my first year in business and paid like $99 for it, it had a nice cut and ran great for 3 years and that thing was ABUSED haha

02DURAMAX
03-24-2008, 12:57 AM

I have not tried the sentars but i love my stander!!...Best mower ever.

S man
03-24-2008, 01:36 AM
I guess mine was a toro commercial 21" I got in 06. It never would cut right and left bad results. Also it was very heavy. Kawasaki engine was flaky with a carb problem and and hard to start sometimes. I sold it and got annother toro but a 07 model with a honda engine. Love it! Cuts great runs great.

joeman
03-24-2008, 07:50 PM
The first ztr riders scag made in the mid 1990's. The grass would lay down with the front caster wheels. You would blow the lawn and the grass would stick up where the front wheels ran over the grass. You would have to double cut a checker board everytime you cut a lawn even if it didn't need it. Horrible mower just junk.

one man gang
03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Gravely 36 belt drive walkbehing. horrable cut, transmission was messed up, bagger was crap.

I have the same machine and couldn't agree more.

packey
03-25-2008, 12:44 AM
the absolute worst machine I ever owned was an mtd pro 36 inch wb. It was a pain to start guzeld fuel skipped grass, didn't cut worth a flip. I will enver buy another one. basically the same mower that craftsman offers for their new commercial wb. I paid 2700 for it new and sold it for 400 just to unload the piece of junk.

lawnspecialties
03-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Worst commercial mower I've ever had: 2003 Hustler 60" SuperZ with the 27hp Kawasaki LC engine. I had it 16 months and it was in the shop 12 times. Hustler took it back after the last shop visit.

Ironically, best commercial mower I've ever had: 2005 Hustler 60" SuperZ with the 26 hp LC engine. This is the one I bought when Hustler took the other one back.

BAKERS
03-25-2008, 08:49 AM

I think a lot of people could argue that. I think even more people could argue that you have seen ANY commercial mower with 10,000 hrs......................

mr.glenn
03-25-2008, 09:01 AM
100% No Doubt A Gravely And Close To It A Kubota. Poor Quality El-cheapo Craftsmanship. 100% Best John Deere 737 And Hustler Z I Currently Run. The John Deere Has 400 Hrs On It And Been To The Shop One Time Because Of A Minor Repair Under Warranty, Plus They Gave Me A Loaner. I Can Hardly Wait To But One Of The New Pro Z-turn Models.

sawman65
03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
hustler super walk behind 54" 25hp kaw. the engine was a pos.and i had to cut my grass 2x a week or it would clog up and throw big clumps of grass out.hustler changed belts pullys cut the deck up all to no avail. then they would not take it back because the deck was choped up. would never buy any hustler ever again. the upside? i sure did like the way it drove.

jaybird24
03-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I'll second the 52" Great Dane Super Surfer- 2000 model. The thing actually left a pretty decent cut when it ran. Electical was a huge problem, frame cracks, wheel motors, adjustments, you name it. The only thing good about it was the 22 hp Kohler. Got to the point if we took it out for a day it would spend the rest of the week in the shop trying to figure out the electrical problems. Felt so bad selling it we still have it and use it for a brush mower only.

one man gang
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I have not tried the sentars but i love my stander!!...Best mower ever.

I picked up a stander to go with the Sentar and they are both good. The Stander beats the hell out of a WB. With the Sentar I like having the ability to stand when facing big bumps.

BLADESDOWN LAWN SERVICE
03-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Lesco Belt Drives

7 IRON
03-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Do you need a reason?? The name says it all..Sorry but i'm not a Cub Cadet fan..

you are not alone:usflag:

lawnangel1
03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Lesco 48'' walk behind. Worst ever!!!

daveyo
03-25-2008, 10:51 PM
48" 05-06 Gravely belt drive with prosteer, OMG never and I mean never could I get the prosteer to actually adjust properly. And even know the reverse is only an assist it never did that either, I gave it back to the dealer in two months and took a big hit. :hammerhead:

humble1
03-26-2008, 12:09 AM
toro z rider early 1990's thing had a chain drive to each wheel motor had to shim and adj and cut out links

alesia
03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Anything that is green and has a Deere on it. That was all my company used to have. Over priced on everything. Walkbehinds, ZTR'S Front decks every thing. We did not run one single day without some type of problem. We had way to much downtime, not enough profit, not user friendly, and the quality of cut was absultely hurrendous. If I could take J.D. to court I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DLCS
03-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey Freshcut,

Why are you using Eric Elms picture in your avatar? www.elmlawnsite.com

CSALawnServiceInc
03-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Lesco floating deck wb. Couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Horrendous cut, & controls sucked. Bought another tthp.

Must have been the black one!! I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough!:cry:

FerrisFan
03-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Glad to hear my Ferris IS 1500 Z wasn't mentioned. I hope all goes well in my first year. Only thing I am worried about is the guy who sold it to me with 25 hours on it wasn't honest and had a lemon or something. He said it was simply too much mower for his home lawn.

I have a ton of experience with Ferris products I have even seen their manufacturing plant in upstate NY as for the 1500Z it may have been too much mower for the previous owner alot of home owners go from a traditional lawn tractor to a ZTR for the wrong reasons as long as you maintain it it should last you a very long time

sbvfd592
03-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Landscapers supply TRASH!!!

wallyturcotte
04-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Mr.glenn Worst Mower
100% No Doubt A Gravely And Close To It A Kubota. Poor Quality El-cheapo Craftsmanship. 100% Best John Deere 737 And Hustler Z I Currently Run. The John Deere Has 400 Hrs On It And Been To The Shop One Time Because Of A Minor Repair Under Warranty, Plus They Gave Me A Loaner. I Can Hardly Wait To But One Of The New Pro Z-turn Models.

a kubota and a gravely ??? Mr.glenn are you smoking some of the grass u cut... because i have owned both of these and they make some of the best mowers as far as i am concerned!!! 400 hr is nothing .. pay the extra money for your deere....

js.lawn
04-12-2008, 08:16 PM
im soooooooooooooo happy with my ferris's

T.E.
04-13-2008, 04:01 PM
The worst mower I've owned was a "36 inch Great Dane super surfer" I got rid of that thing ASAP.