PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer not getting fuel!

Hardwareman
03-23-2007, 10:57 PM
I just recieved a free trimmer from one of my wife's friends and cleaned it all up. it seems to run great.......when it will stay running for any period of time.

The fuel lines were shot so I went to Home Depot and picked up new lines for it, but they don't seem to properly fit where they connect to the carb. They are too loose and when I push the prime button fuel will shoot out of the return side.

I messed with it for a while but figured the lines should be tighter so the carb is able to pull the fuel up from the tank. My logic is that the carb cannot achieve any vacuum with the fuel lines this loose. Am I right or could there be something else I am overlooking?

Thanks for any help.

Allen

Lynden-Jeff
03-23-2007, 11:21 PM
one of my srm 210's had a pin hole in the fuel line. This would cause it to stall. I would say your lose tubes are the reason behind it.

Cheers
Jeff

Hardwareman
03-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Ok, thanks. I will replacce them in the morning and post up the results.

I just found out from the wife's friend that after her brother (friends brother) tried repairing the fuel lines on this trimmer is when it started acting up.

Allen

Hardwareman
03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Sorry for not posting up sooner, but the correct size fuel line definitely helped. It still has some issues however with wanting to stay running. Definitely seems like a carb issue to me so I'm gonna look into a rebuild kit for it. Thanks.

Allen

ncls
03-25-2007, 09:56 PM
try pulling the carb off, and hitting it with an air hose. spray it down with Pb blaster, leave it for an hour or so, then wipe it dry. re-install.

Hardwareman
03-26-2007, 03:48 AM
Thanks ncls. I'll try that tomorrow. I also read on a repair forum that I should check the muffler and spark arrestor screen for clogging.

It definitely stays running now, but will occasionally stall. Starts right back up too regardless if its hot or cold. Thanks again for the help guys.

Allen

Hardwareman
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Well took off the muffler and it all checked out ok. I put a small amount of oil down the plug hole and it's still running the same so it's not rings. It definitely lies in the carberator somewhere, so I just disassembled it and sprayed it down with PB like suggested.

I mean it stays running (idling) for about 2-3 minutes and then after that I need to play with the throttle to keep it going so it won't stall.

I've got the carb soaking in PB right now. I'll try reassembly in about 30min and let you guys know.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Allen

Hardwareman
03-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Well I just reassembled the carburater after spraying/soaking ALL parts with PB (even the gaskets) and I must say that did wonders for this little trimmer! Thanks for the advice!

It still has a slight bogging problem however at WOT, and wants to run in the number 3 position instead of 4 but it will idle all day long now in both 3 & 4!

I think I'll but a minor rebuild kit for it soon and she should be good to go. I'm thinking the diaphram and what not probably need replacing here. Thanks so much y'all!

Allen

FIXDISS
03-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Do you have 1 or 2 adjustment screws on carb ? If you have 2 then try tweeking the high speed adjustment screw. If only one then hold throttle wide open and tweek adjustment screw.

Hardwareman
03-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately I spoke too soon!

It's now back to how it began. I guess I'll need a rebuild kit for it (the carb) since I now know it's definitely a carb problem. I mean why else would it run almost flawlessly after the PB treatment and then a short while after resort back to how it was you know?

Thanks fixdiss, it only has one adjustment screw on it, a red one. I think the rebuild kit's like $10.00 or something.

Allen

Jason Pallas
03-27-2007, 11:56 PM
check your fuel lines for a small pinhole. if you just replaced them, then look to see that your gas cap is venting properly. if you don't have a gas cap vent, check to make sure that the external vent (little white thing on the end of the other gas line coming from the vent) is not clogged.

Hardwareman
03-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Yes, I did just replace the fuel lines and they are not leaking at all. I just went out and checked the gas cap but cannot tell if it's venting properly or not. I could'nt blow through it if that's how it's supposed to be checked. Maybe I'll give it a shot of compressed air tomorrow.

I rebuilt the carb, but I may have put the diaphram on wrong as an illustration shows the gasket goes down first and then the diaphram and I did it vise-versa. Would that make a difference? I also could not locate a wire screen in the carb that came in my rebuild kit. Do all carbs have a screen in them?

I really appreciate all the help here. Thanks.

Allen