PDA

View Full Version : How to apply grease

SSS 18734
03-24-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm doing some spring maintenance on my Gravely 34" walkbehind. I've done everything but apply grease to all the fittings. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Lynden-Jeff
03-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Well there are 2 ways of doing this. First is get a tube of grease, open the top and suck a little in to your mouth. After this you wrap your lips around the grease nipple as tight as you can and try and "spit" the grease until no more go in.

Method number 2 is buy a leaver or pistol grip grease gun lol.

* I claim no responsibility if your crazy enough to try number one (akak don't do that lol)

Cheers
Jeff

Birdhunter1
03-24-2007, 05:46 PM
go to any farm supply, hardware, Tractor Supply Company or any store of the likes and get a grease gun and some grease. Pretty easy to do realy, the best grease will have lots of moly in it (also more expesnive) but any lithium grease or general purpose will work just fine. There is a niozzle on the grease gun that goes over the grease fitting and you squeeze the handle on teh grease gun to pump the grease into the fitting. My advice, get a pistol grip grease gun with a flexible hose to get to hard to reach areas like your blade spindles and such. Sometimes if the nozzle is not on the fitting all the way or not straight on the fitting (180 degrees in relation to the grease fitting) grease will shoot out the sides between the nozzle and fitting and will not go into the fitting. Too much grease will cause the grease to puch out of the seals (you know you've got enough then) but usually no more than 3 or 4 pumps will do it.

SSS 18734
03-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I'll pass on #1. lol.

I do have a grease gun, though. More specifically, what do I do with the gun? Do i need to get rid of the old grease somehow? Sorry for the noobish question.

EDIT.
Thanks Birdhunter. So I just fill it until it starts to leak and then stop?

Birdhunter1
03-24-2007, 06:39 PM
If grease starts pushing out then you're not going to get anymore into the housing. Some areas of your mower you will have seals you'll blow out but some places like the front wheel spindles you won't have a seal so you won't hurt anything by pushing more grease out but you'd be wasting grease. A place where it woudl hurt is like wheel hubs on tractors that usually have an inner and outer grease seal to keep stuff out and keep grease in. Like I sad if you just do 3 or 4 pumps with your grease handle when doing routine service you'll most likely be ok. Read your owners manual if unsure, it willtell you more information than I can ginve you as to how much or how often it needs greased. There will be some fittings it will say grease daily and some that will say every 8-10 hours of use.
As for your grease gun, if there is grease in it then it should be ok, unless it's like 100 years old. Grease has a fairly long shelf life. To refill ggrease gun either buy a large bucket of grease and scoop out of bucket into teh gun or buy tubes and pull the handle out (in oposite end of grease gun from the nozzle) and and push it back in to push old tube out then pull it back again and lock it in place while you put the new tube in (open end first), then rip off tab (looks like a beer can tab) then screw top of greaase gun back on and push handle back in. Pump a few times to get grease to come out.

Lynden-Jeff
03-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Also some places like blade spindles need certain types of lithium grease for high speed/high temp applications. Maybe some one can chime in a little more.

Cheers
Jeff

SSS 18734
03-24-2007, 09:07 PM
The spindles on my gravely are "maintenance-free" and apparently need no maintenance whatsoever. Thanks for the input everyone!

DiyDave
03-24-2007, 09:57 PM
How to grease a gravely? Run over a Gravely engineer! Always remember included on every Gravely is one grease fitting that is hidden so good you will never find it. Also there is one fitting that, no matter how much you grease it, the grease will not flow uphill to where it is supposed to go!:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

topsites
03-28-2007, 10:28 PM
You do gotta watch it on some lol, like my Z's front casters you can squirt and squirt apparently with no end in sight, until suddenly the bottom seal pops out and a slew of grease oozes out of there, not pretty lol. But if that happens, wipe up the extra grease (nasty) as best you can and pop the seal back in there (scared me bad the first time thou, I thought I'd just wiped out the bearings).

Other than that, I do as follows on my Toro wb:
Front caster wheels: 6-7 squirts each, daily. (2 of these)
Front caster forks: 3-4 squirts each, daily. (2 of these)
Rear wheels: 6-7 squirts each, daily. (2 of these)
Upper belt drive idlers: 1/2 squirt, daily. (2 of these)
Velke hitch: 1 full squirt, daily.
Velke wheel: 6 squirts, daily.
Velke pivot: 1-2 squirts, daily.
11 so far, I swear there's another one... Maybe not lol. < This is how you want to think: isn't there more?
Blade bearings (mine are sealed so none but otherwise): 4-6 squirts, daily. (3 of these, usually)
^ Watch these, the grease will ooze out from underneath you can't really tell when it's full but practice helps...

Synthetic grease (or synth.blend) zerks:
Splined couplings: 1 full squirt, weekly.
Under deck cover idlers (on the deck itself, somewhere around the blade bearings): 1 squirt, weekly.

So you need to see about finding at least about a dozen of them, and really it's practice, best squirt until it just starts to ooze out then once you 'got' the number of squirts down then you do that.
You're supposed to do it every x hours, but forget it, I do mine daily (except the few that are weekly, and those with a synthetic lube). Your owner's manual usually lists the points also (but not all do).

Lynden-Jeff
04-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Bobcat recommends grease every 500 hrs on the front forks of my rider. I do it more often but I think id go crazy if I had to do it every day.

Cheers