PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tiger in heavy grass

tacoma200
03-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Well I'm just now getting the Turf Tiger in some heavy grass. My neighbors lawn was already overgrown (6" and over in front) with wild onions sticking up amost a foot tall in places. He fertilizes very heavy and has a leach field in his sloping front lawn so it's one of my hardest lawns. My Lazer Z with 27 Kohler and 60" Ultracut will cut it after a week but when its thick I may have to spread the clipping in front.

The Turf Tiger gave a very crisp cut, and spread the clippings out extremely well. I was pushing it very hard through the thick grass and yes even the 31 big block lost a few hundred rpm's at times but just lugged right through it with relative ease. This is the first real test for this Velocity deck and I will have to say I'm impressed. Not one clump and no missed grass. Considering what this lot looked like before I was really amazed that I didn't have to go back over anything. For really nasty lawns with overgrown conditions I'll have to say I've not seen anything any better. This deck will cut, move, and spread a tremendous amount of grass at near full speed.

Was it as smooth as the Ultra Cut? Well on a normal lawn the Ultracut has a carpet smooth finish but it would have had trouble not clumping on parts of this lawn. So an a normal lawn the Ultra Cut may have been smoother but on an overgrown lawn the Scag big block with the Velocity deck was unbelievably effecient. Never hardly slowing down and I mean I pushed it. The clippings are larger than the Ultra Cut but not enough so that I felt I needed to go over it again. Of course this is just one lawn and it was dry, sunny, and 81 degrees today but I'm still very impressed. I was needing a mower for the heavy work and so far it's looking good but I won't know for sure until later on this Spring.

The anti scalp rollers seem to roll excessively at 3" but maybe I can do some adjusting there. And yes I took it down to 3" with no clumping but it is hot and dry so well see when we get some moisture in the lawns.

mag360
03-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Good to hear it's holding its own.
Best of luck with it in the upcoming season.

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks KLC, it looks good so far. It is much easier to mow strait on large properties than with the Lazer. Not sure if it is the seemingly longer wheelbase or the stiff handles that I have complained about for so long. If they help mow straiter its a good trade off. I don't care to admit if I've been wrong about thinking they were too stiff. When you get off an Exmark, Dixie, Huster, or Grasshopper the stiffer handles takes you off guard till you start getting used to it.

Change you initials to KFC and move down here, you'll get lot's of business.

jaybird
03-25-2007, 05:51 PM
did you get covered with dust.

LB1234
03-25-2007, 09:09 PM
great post...

you didn't happen to run a fuel test as well did ya? I'd be interested what your fuel consumption was with the bigger engine in your TT. I have the TT w/ 29 LC/EFI kawi.

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 09:20 PM
great post...

you didn't happen to run a fuel test as well did ya? I'd be interested what your fuel consumption was with the bigger engine in your TT. I have the TT w/ 29 LC/EFI kawi.

No but I will with in the next month and post a report. As fast as it went thru that lawn even if it uses more fuel per hr it is mowing more lawn in an hour than other mowers that I have used. At 9-12 mph it will easily out mow the 15 mph Hustler which would have been stalling out with even their largest gasoline engine available. I used the Hustler Super Z on this same lot and it would loose rpms on the slope even without the blades engaged. Maybe on flat ground with low growth the Hustler may have kept up but even then the Velocity Plus cut and dispersion is superior to the Huslter XR7 (or at least the one I had) in the turf we have here.

In Hustlers defense I understand they are shipping different decks to different parts of the country which should help with the problems in Northern Grasses and weeds. If they could put a 30+ hp on the Hustler it would be a beast.

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 09:30 PM
did you get covered with dust.

No, the grass and onions are too thick and lush (but dry to the touch). We are just starting to get into that early growth and it hasn't really been dry long enough to get dusty yet. The deck has a little blow out in front that I didn't notice on the Exmark. The Custom Cut Baffle is adjusted all the way down (the way it was set up at the dealer or factory) which is suppose to be the position for leave collection and the most lift. I was puzzled that it didn't come in the middle position that is suppose to be the best all around cutting position. I see no reason to change it yet. There is no build up under the deck so far but like I said it is fairly dry.

Cutting heavy Spring growth to about 3 1/2" will be the real test for the mower but I don't see that it will be a problem the way it looks now.

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Well I wished I had taken a before shot but this lot was mostly 6" tall in front with onions 6-12" tall. It was uneven, spotty,as you would expect for a first cut but the front was very thick and lush. I gave the mower all it had and knocked it down to 3" in record time. Yes it was thick enough to slow the 31 Briggs down in places. If it does this good in mid Spring I will be very happy.

I could not hardly mow this with the Hustler Super Z up the slope but I don't think it would have slowed the Scag.

puppypaws
03-26-2007, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=tacoma200;1765011]
The Turf Tiger gave a very crisp cut, and spread the clippings out extremely well. I was pushing it very hard through the thick grass and yes even the 31 big block lost a few hundred rpm's at times but just lugged right through it with relative ease.

Which mower do you have, I only saw a 31 hp diesel on the Sabre Tooth and a 35 hp Briggs on the Turf Tiger. Do you have a 61" deck?

green acres lawns
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Looks good. My tt with 61" velocity deck and 27hp kawi cuts like that as well. I used to have problems with my Sabre tooth clumping with the 72" advantage deck until I took the turbo baffle off and opened up the discharge chute. Hasn't clumped since. Both leave a great looking cut if you keep the deck close to level and the blades sharp.

tacoma200
03-27-2007, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=tacoma200;1765011]
The Turf Tiger gave a very crisp cut, and spread the clippings out extremely well. I was pushing it very hard through the thick grass and yes even the 31 big block lost a few hundred rpm's at times but just lugged right through it with relative ease.

Which mower do you have, I only saw a 31 hp diesel on the Sabre Tooth and a 35 hp Briggs on the Turf Tiger. Do you have a 61" deck?

They put the new deck 06 (Velocity Plus) on an 05 Turf Tiger and it has the 31 Briggs gasoline engine. Not sure why Scag or the dealers are doing this. I'm guessing everyone is wanting the new decks so it helps them move some of the left over mowers. Just a guess. The 06 mowers have the 35 Briggs but I bought this one for about $2,000 less than what I could find on and 06 in my area About the best price I could find on an 06 or 07 with the 29 Kaw or 35 Briggs was $10,400. Some places asked over $11,000. So I feel that I did OK on the price. Price and the reputation of the Velocity deck is why I bought it. It's hard to find a good 30+ hp ZTR for that price around here. I gave $8,500 for it which is just a little more than I gave for my 27 hp 60" Lazer two years ago and it didn't have the suspension seat that I'm getting with this one. I think its going to be a great mower for the heavy stuff. Yes 61" deck. I'm seeing Scags with 1000 plus hrs selling for over $5,000 on ebay.

puppypaws
03-27-2007, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=puppypaws;1768025]

They put the new deck 06 (Velocity Plus) on an 05 Turf Tiger and it has the 31 Briggs gasoline engine. Not sure why Scag or the dealers are doing this. I'm guessing everyone is wanting the new decks so it helps them move some of the left over mowers. Just a guess. The 06 mowers have the 35 Briggs but I bought this one for about $2,000 less than what I could find on and 06 in my area About the best price I could find on an 06 or 07 with the 29 Kaw or 35 Briggs was $10,400. Some places asked over $11,000. So I feel that I did OK on the price. Price and the reputation of the Velocity deck is why I bought it. It's hard to find a good 30+ hp ZTR for that price around here. I gave $8,500 for it which is just a little more than I gave for my 27 hp 60" Lazer two years ago and it didn't have the suspension seat that I'm getting with this one. I think its going to be a great mower for the heavy stuff. Yes 61" deck. I'm seeing Scags with 1000 plus hrs selling for over $5,000 on ebay.You are not cutting grass this year nearly as wet and plush as last year. There is a tremendous difference in cutting grass the way it was in your area last year compared to this year, we are almost in a drought situation here already. You can take 20% less hp in dry grass and do a very good job compared to wet plush grass maybe even more. I started cutting at first light this morning in places I knew would get very dusty later on and even with the heavy dew on a first cut this year the 28 efi never even paid it any attention. I ask my buddy that just bought the 37 on a Cub Tank how it was doing and he said there had been nothing in the Charlotte, NC area to make it even break a sweat so far. How much easier would you say the grass is cutting in your area compared to last year?

tacoma200
03-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Were just getting started but this lawn is always thick. We are not in a drought by any means here. Were getting good rain every week. But the real test will be mid spring. Its too early to tell how this mower will do in the wet spring grass but I'll keep you posted. So far, so good.