PDA

View Full Version : 12 hp briggs carb adjustment--

hotrodsnapper
03-25-2007, 12:09 AM
I just went and started my snapper up today and it was running pretty rough. I had screwed around with the carb adjustments a few months ago, and was never really happy with the performance. The carb has two screws in addition to the throttle stop, one under the float bowl (high speed?) and another on the top of the carb (low speed?). In reading previous treads I saw that on similar engines the baseline settings are 2 turns out on the bottom and 1-1/4 on the top. Do these settings apply to my engine? #'s follow:
Model: 281707
Type: 0162-01
Serial: 90011831

BTW: The transmission adjustment Restobob sent me makes this thing shift much better. It still struggles in reverse, but I'll throw a new drive disk on before I fool around further.

Thanks

khouse
03-25-2007, 12:33 AM
I would go 1.5 on both for starters. But it sounds like you need to clean and blow the carb out. Drain and add fresh fuel to the tank.

ose58
03-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Remove the bottom mixture screw(high speed) and make clean the needle end.It should be shiny clean and smooth. Be careful when you remove it not to loose the o-ring and washer. Clean and reassemble and start at l and one half turns out. It wont hurt to shoot carb cleaner up the hole the needle came out of.

hotrodsnapper
03-26-2007, 09:34 AM
That got it going!