PDA

View Full Version : can you do it every other week

Greatdane522003
03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I sent out 13,000 direct mailers last week and i've got about 12 calls so far, and most of the people calling what it done every 2 weeks, and someone is running around here doing lawns for 25 bucks, and i'm getting tired of hearing i'm on a budget, yeah so is donald trump I'm going to start telling these people:realmad:

KS_Grasscutter
03-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Well, 12 EOW lawns are better then no new lawns IMO. How big are they? Here in Hutch, seems like my lawns are all about 8-10k SF and are all $25/cut. That seems to be about the average price here.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
03-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Charge what you want for your work,remember to be somewhat reasonable. If 25 is what you want then charge 25. You can bet gas will be 3 bucks a gallon this year too.

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Walmart and Target make lot's of money with people on a budget. Work with what you can get and weed them out later if needed. Sounds like your on a budget also if you sent 13,000 flyer's. If you don't need the work politely decline. Start telling customers off can only hurt your business reputation. Especially if they really didn't do anything wrong.

GSPHUNTER
03-25-2007, 05:45 PM
My min. is $25, but for every other week, it goes up.

Woody82986
03-25-2007, 08:50 PM
I mark up bi weekly services and make sure they know that if they want the lawn to actually look good, then bi weekly is not the way to go. I had a lady who e-mailed me begging for me to come out and give her an estimate and some suggestions for getting her front yard and beds into shape because they are about to put their house on the market. She said she didn't mind paying whatever it took to make the lawn look better and the beds back in shape. I get out there, estimate everything and e-mail her back a comprehensive estimate after talking with her on the phone for almost 30 minutes and her telling me that her and her husband want to do whatever it takes to make the lawn look healthy and green. She e-mailed me back after the estimate saying my prices were way too high and that she thinks bi weekly lawn care with no fertilizer was all the lawn needed to get back in shape. I called her back and asked her if she wanted to get her lawn and landscape in shape or if she was looking for the cheapest form of crappy lawn care they could get by with until they unload their house. She said she had no clue why lawn care companies charge so much money and that I am the 6th company she had contacted that told her the same thing and provided basically the same estimate. I just told her to walk down the street and find the first 15 year old who wants $10...

Mowman16
03-25-2007, 09:50 PM
How big are the lawns? I say charge what you need to and if people can make a living doing it for 25.00 then let them. Over here 25.00 is the going rate and the low-ballers charge 18.00:cry: :dizzy:, I say be thankful.

Mountain Peak
03-25-2007, 11:26 PM
This is my third year in business and I'm a big direct mail guy too, My phone has been ringing off the hook. My first thought when I saw your post was that you might try to target a different customer with your direct mailer. I went with 60K income level this year and next year I'm going to increase my target market to income earners above 100k. I know guys that are making a good living doing the 25 a week yards, but I don't want to just make a good living.

S man
03-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, 12 EOW lawns are better then no new lawns IMO. How big are they? Here in Hutch, seems like my lawns are all about 8-10k SF and are all $25/cut. That seems to be about the average price here.

My standard price is 30. But most of my lawns are more than that and the ones that are lower than 30 are just front yards.

stroker51
03-26-2007, 12:01 AM
What part of OP are you targeting? I don't do any work up that way, but I know several people who do. I would think that you could/should be able to get at least $30 a yard up there to start out. I'm in Lawrence, and my minimum for new lawns is $30. I've still got a few that i picked up 2 years ago that are $25-$27, but they'll probably need to go up next season. It's tough when you're just starting out, I'd probably go ahead and take what you can get, $25 a pop isn't bad, in most cases. I always had the impression that OP was a better market than Lawrence, but maybe not?

topsites
03-26-2007, 12:06 AM
It is frustrating, but at least half of all potential costumers want something (i.e.: a lot) for nothing.

All it means my job is done here, I gave them the price, yes or no, no?
My simple answer: No I can not, thank you.
Turn around, walk away, get in car, leave...
Next!

btw dont feel bad, it frustrates me some kind of fierce some days.

tacoma200
03-26-2007, 12:11 AM
It is frustrating, but at least half of all potential costumers want something (i.e.: a lot) for nothing.

All it means my job is done here, I gave them the price, yes or no, no?
My simple answer: No I can not, thank you.
Turn around, walk away, get in car, leave...
Next!

btw dont feel bad, it frustrates me some kind of fierce some days.

I think that's the nature of the business, any business. They say one good customer is better than several bad ones but you may have to weed out the bad ones and keep the good ones as you get established.

lawncuttinfoo
07-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Walmart and Target make lot's of money with people on a budget. Work with what you can get and weed them out later if needed. Sounds like your on a budget also if you sent 13,000 flyer's. If you don't need the work politely decline. Start telling customers off can only hurt your business reputation. Especially if they really didn't do anything wrong.

You think 13,000 flyers is not much?
What direct marketing are you using?
I was quoted about $800 for 1,000 direct mailers to a list of above x income level. this was for a double sided color 4x6" card stock.

13K would be twice my yearly ad budget I use now which is $5,000 for 144,000 newspaper flyers which have horrible response rate and worse quality of lead.

carcrz
07-19-2007, 07:48 AM
You should definitely be getting @ least $30 a lawn our here. A lot of your calls this time of year will be for bi-weekly's. If you have openings still & need the money, I'd take them since it is starting to dry out now. Let them know that if it starts growing too fast to keep up then they will need to do it weekly until things dry out again. Don't forget to charge a little more for bi-weekly.