PDA

View Full Version : stripped spindle

SSS 18734
03-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I have a 34" Gravely walkbehind. This morning I took off the blades to sharpen them, and had a lot of trouble putting them back on. I do remember I had an accident last season that could have slightly messed up the thread on the inside of the spindle, but I've sharpened the blades several times since then and put the blades back on with no problem.

But this time, it becomes impossible to screw in the bolt more than 1/3 of the way, and when I use a wrench, the bolt simply drops back down a little after it reaches a certain point. I have no idea how this happened.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to fix this? I'd rather not buy a new spindle assembly ($$$) and I can't really put any more washers on it - the blades will only be hanging on by maybe 1/4 inch of the bolt.

FIXDISS
03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Is the bolt stripped or the threads in the hole ? If the threads in hole are damaged you might be able to buy a tap to clean up threads and put a new bolt in it.

SSS 18734
03-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Is the bolt stripped or the threads in the hole ? If the threads in hole are damaged you might be able to buy a tap to clean up threads and put a new bolt in it.

both. I tried it with the undamaged bolt from the other spindle, and it had the same problem. I've been out working on it for a while and I just got it to go in and tighten it properly. I mowed my 1/2 acre yard and no problems. :dizzy:

so i'll just leave it for now... hopefully I won't have the same problem when I go back to sharpen the blades...

where do I get a tap and how do I use one? only two threads are messed up

Duekster
03-25-2007, 05:32 PM
both. I tried it with the undamaged bolt from the other spindle, and it had the same problem. I've been out working on it for a while and I just got it to go in and tighten it properly. I mowed my 1/2 acre yard and no problems. :dizzy:

so i'll just leave it for now... hopefully I won't have the same problem when I go back to sharpen the blades...

Granger.com

SLR
03-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Over this summer if the half-holding threads vibrate loose ,that spinning blade could suddenly come outta there with vengence,or dent the heck out of the underside of the deck.I'd Re-tap those threads.

gene gls
03-25-2007, 09:30 PM

Replace it before you get hurt or hurt some one else.....

lawnmaniac883
03-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Go to your local Napa and see what they can offer in the way of taps

DiyDave
03-27-2007, 08:14 PM
When you go to napa-take your bolt with you!