PDA

View Full Version : So who's startin clean-ups tomorrow (mon 3/26) ?

lawnguyland
03-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I'll be starting back up after the weeklong snow casued dill-lay on monday. Finally. I actully did 3 spcus a week and a half ago when it was 70. Glad to be starting up again though, anyone else begin tomorrow?

I have a feeling the phone will start ringing like crazy this week if the weather is at all decent, maybe even if not. Usually I'd be a week into scus already, as would everyone else. I've seen 1, yes 1 guy doing clean-ups so far this year. I think tomorrow everyone and their brother and cousins will be out. Then, all the silly customers that haven't returned their contracts yet or hired a landscaper for the year will see and hear all the companies out working and think to themselves "oh crap, I need to get a landscaper, or call my guy back" We've been out of sight, out of mind for 3 months! I'm sure most companies are already backed up and maybe unable to take on more work. We'll see what happens, it's not too late a start, I'd prefer earlier as this gives me 3 weeks until I start weekly service. I'd rather have 4 or 5 weeks for spcus. Also like to get em all before Easter if possible, at least existing clients.

thoughts?

ed2hess
03-25-2007, 06:20 PM
If you have your customers on a 12 month contract then you can actually decide when to make visits not sitting waiting until they decide. We make visits in every month(weather permitting) so that when we go there in the spring it is a regular mow.

puddin' pie
03-25-2007, 06:22 PM
yes, i will be back and black. four worker crew, two trucks

jt5019
03-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Im hoping by the end of the week here. Its still really muddy and we have some snow piles left to melt.

lawnguyland
03-25-2007, 07:46 PM
If you have your customers on a 12 month contract then you can actually decide when to make visits not sitting waiting until they decide. We make visits in every month(weather permitting) so that when we go there in the spring it is a regular mow.

Whaaat? I'm not waiting for anyone - they are on contract except the sillies that didn't send them back yet, even after a reminder letter- but even they will once they see the sun again and a few landscapers. When they do though - it's bottom of the list! And- we don't work in jan and feb up here unless it's for snow removal- up here we call it winter, I know the south is different though! Anyone south of Mason Dixon will find this thread irrelevant.

lawnguyland
03-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Im hoping by the end of the week here. Its still really muddy and we have some snow piles left to melt.

It'll be just about ready here on LI tomorrow, I'll be aiming for sunnier props. Easier to clean/thatch when dry.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 07:57 PM
We are mowing and fertilizing already. Man, march was a busy month for us.

yardmanlee
03-25-2007, 08:04 PM
we started 3 weeks ago and will probably star mowing this week on at least half still have 2 landscape jobs and about 6 mulch jobs anybody need a job ?? busy busy busy

dutchman
03-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Still snow on the grass area and piles of snow at the end of the driveway. And everything is still wet so maybe by the end of the week if we don't get any rain in the mean time.

yardmanlee
03-25-2007, 08:08 PM
some of you northren guys can come on down and help us southren guys out a little

Duekster
03-25-2007, 08:14 PM
some of you northren guys can come on down and help us southren guys out a little

They would have to get temporary worker visa's! :laugh:

yardmanlee
03-25-2007, 08:15 PM
do they speak english ?

SproulsLawnCare
03-25-2007, 08:25 PM
We Will be mowing by the first of April or possibly even start mowing this week.

Mowman16
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
No comprende amigos! :laugh: :laugh:

RedMax Man
03-25-2007, 09:17 PM
No comprende amigos! :laugh: :laugh:

Me no speak the english either but can chop grass very good. How you pay me?:laugh:

Duekster
03-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Me no speak the english either but can chop grass very good. How you pay me?:laugh:

You do landscraping?

DLAWNS
03-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah man, Ill be out tomorrow,like you did some stuff a week ago. Its been rainin and snowin on and off....but I dont care tomorrow im gettin to it.

mkwl
03-25-2007, 10:09 PM
I'll hopefully be starting cleanups here in Northern, NJ the end of this week and next weekend, assuming it isn't raining. There are still some piles of snow left to melt here, and the ground is wet in places. Hopefully this weekend! :)

Envy Lawn Service
03-26-2007, 12:17 AM
I've already started.

Down here we don't do much in the way of spring cleanups... well I don't think we do in the manner that northern guys think of.

Here, we have the tough scalping jobs on the warm season stuff. Meaning basically we scalp 4"-5" of dormant bermuda (ect) down to 1"-1.5" and move it off the lawn... or mulch it to dust. Sometimes these need to be tine-rake dethatched too... not really to remove thatch, but to rake out more surface level stuff.

Other than that, a spring cleanup is only cleaning up a lawn that was neglected in the fall or over the winter.

Things are terribly slow for me on the residential side so far this spring though.
I'm wondering when everyone is going to get in-gear and start getting things done this year.

We have had recent temps in the 80's so I'm starting to get a bit nervous.

pclawncare
03-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Envy how do you like scalping? Guess who is almost done scalping. Being done with scalping is probaly the best feeling ever for the whole season and knowing i have to do it again next year is probably the worst. We have been scalping in OK since around march 1st not me personaly but i know some of the really huge guys did i started about the 10th i got around 55 done have 8 more scheduled but every day seems like if i do 5 i have 5 messages on my voice mail. But ya i got alot of mine done and im happy time to make the easy money

HOOLIE
03-26-2007, 12:37 AM
I started working 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden the grass is really greening up...I've seen a few that could be mowed NOW (none of my clients though) but not too far off. I figure the week of 4/2 will do a split of mowing/other jobs, and by 4/9 the mowing should be taking off.

pclawncare
03-26-2007, 12:57 AM
YA i was looking at probably starting mowing on 4/2 most of mine will probably need it.

jeffex
03-26-2007, 05:36 AM
we're about 2 weeks away from any mowing. You can see the lawns who used a fall fert. have started to green up first. Spring clean ups are not big in my neck of the woods I only get paid for 1-2.

proenterprises
03-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Here in Ct we still have some snowcover, although with temps forecasted to be over 65 degrees tomorrow Im sure it will be gone after tomorrow. Otherwise, things will probably need about a week to dry up, as the ground is still pretty saturated right now. I hope to be rolling by easter weekend. Typically, I start cutting around April 20, give or take.

Mowman16
03-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Ive beene doing clean-ups for about a week, grass is about 3-4 weeks off still, I can't wait :cool2: .

AbsoluteH&L
03-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Cleanups starting now, too wet & rainy this am though. Mowing start date not set yet, again that depends on how wet everything is. A lot of standing water around here. But have mowed around snow piles before.

rosolar
03-26-2007, 11:37 AM
hoping to start springcleanups the end of this week or by next monday at the latest. Just west of boston. Mowing begins probably the last week of april-1st of may.

GreenN'Clean
03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I've done about 5 this year and got more lined up for this week, I'm so glad spring is finally here its time to make some money

RedMax Man
03-26-2007, 03:35 PM
You do landscraping?

dunno what that is but i do Landscaping.
Won't start cleanups for another 2-3 weeks.
still got alot of snow that needs to melt and turf thatr needs to dry out more.

LindblomRJ
03-26-2007, 04:06 PM
I started last week.

lawnguyland
03-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Ahhhh, back in the saddle again!

I did 5 today, hooray! I like to watch the # of clean-ups I have to do decrease and can't wait till they're done. Won't start weekly mowing until 4/17. Weather should be sweet tomorrow, though today was fine. Looks like all LI landscrapers started today too.

clncut
03-26-2007, 05:18 PM
started cleaning gutters today. still a bit wet for cleanups, looks like rain off and on throughout the week. Was planning on starting to mow 2nd or 3rd wk of April. With the warm temps and frequent rains, grass is growing and greening up early this year. May start mowing the first wk of April now! :clapping:

John

AL Inc
03-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Yes, it was nice to be out again today, we were able get a nice amount of work done. And it looks good for the rest of the week. Slowly, the phone is starting to ring a bit more, starting to book up some construction projects.

lawnguyland
03-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes, it was nice to be out again today, we were able get a nice amount of work done. And it looks good for the rest of the week. Slowly, the phone is starting to ring a bit more, starting to book up some construction projects.

Yay construction projects! - got two big (for me) ones lined up already and one I'm doing at a friendly price on the condition I could do it at my lesiure, which is great! I have until mem. day wknd. plenty o'time!

I disagree with that insanity definition. I pull the rope, engine won't start. Pull, won't start. Pull, won't start, pull won't start, yet I expect that I will get a different result and then voila, I do!

lawncare18
03-26-2007, 09:11 PM
So wet here.. Maybe end of this week next week.. gona cool way down again so im not rushing we have had big snow in may before.

Mowman16
03-26-2007, 10:00 PM
WOW today was great, high of 79. Grass is turnig green FAST. 3 clean-ups today.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, we got three more done today. Tomorrow is really supposed to be nice hear. Hoping to get a good amount of work done.