PDA

View Full Version : Good low priced ztr,

rinkleroot
03-25-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm sick of my lawn tractor (POS) and need an upgrade but have a budget under 6k. I live on a farm and have 3+ acres of mostly flat land with several trees, my choices so far are; Gravely 44z, Bad Boy ZT , Hustler FasTrak, Scag Freedom Z, Cub Cadet Enforcer 48. Looking for opinions on these or any others, I've ruled out anything sold by Homedepot or Lowes.

thanks!

ed2hess
03-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Next level up might be Northerntool.com...they got some cheap ZTR machines.

GSMOSS
03-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Try ebay. I purchased a 2006 Bobcat 219 with a 52" deck last year brand new with 2/10 of an hour on it. The price was $5300 and it is a $6700 machine. I know that you can't be too certain with stuff off of ebay but do some homework. After winning the bid, I contacted the owner which was a company by the name of Southern Indiana Equipment(http://www.siequip.com/parts.html) about this machine. I then traced the model and serial back to the sales rep that sold it to the company which in turn lead me to contact Bobcat in order to verify all of the information that I had received. I just wanted to be certain that I was not getting a Katrina mower or even worse a stolen one. But with all that said, I now have a great piece of equipment at a lower cost and I couldn't be happier. Just take your time and look for what you want in you price range.

rinkleroot
03-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I've made hundreds of online purchases but this time I'll stick with a local dealer in case I run into any problems.

snowjeep
03-25-2007, 07:30 PM
I have a Cub Cadet Z-Force 50 which is a step down from the Enforcer. I used it for 20 lawns a week last year and not one problem. I hope this helps

GSMOSS
03-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Rinkleroot I checked with my local dealer before I made my purchase and as long as it had a factory warranty he has no problems servicing it. As a matter of fact he was willing to check it out for free before I paid for it.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Is it going to be used for commercial mowing (you don't say but its under this category), if so the only ones I'd consider would be the gravely and maybe the badboy. I've seen the huslter and it looks too small for the $$$$, scag and the cub are more high end residental z's. I like the gravely 148 & the 152 which are both close to your budget. Where at in NC are you. If you like cub, check out the tanks.

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Out of that list, Hustler if you are mowing mostly Southern grasses.

rinkleroot
03-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Albery , I'm located in North Eastern NC (Roanoke Rapids, Rocky Mount, Ahoskie area's) and no I'm not commercial. I've only researched online so far and have no personal preference, just trying to find the best machine for my needs and budget.

tacoma , thanks for the heads up on the Hustler!

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Try before you buy is a good rule of thumb even though I haven't always followed it. I don't know enough about the new Scag Freedom to say. The Hustlers seem to cut Southern grass very well.

DAV Mowers
03-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I've had a Hustler Fasttrack 52/20 Honda for 4 years now and the only problem I've ever had was a couple pullys broke. The dealer replaced them for $12.50 each.

I use that mower on 15 smaller lawns a week, the others get the big mowers.

lifetree
03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I've made hundreds of online purchases but this time I'll stick with a local dealer in case I run into any problems.

Good plan to stick with a local dealer ... if you have a dealer in your area, I recommend you look at Dixon ZTR's ... the wesite is www.dixon-ztr.com.

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
I've had a Hustler Fasttrack 52/20 Honda for 4 years now and the only problem I've ever had was a couple pullys broke. The dealer replaced them for $12.50 each.

I use that mower on 15 smaller lawns a week, the others get the big mowers.

I'm not sure where you are located in Kentucky but I'll have to say Home Land equipment in Danville (Hustler Dealer) was one of the best dealers I've ever dealt with. I only wish we had a dealer close to where I live that offered that kind of service. They had a 24 hr turn around policy on most repairs and they even changed my hydraulic filter and serviced it while I waited a short time. They kept almost all parts in stock. Long repair times are why I keep two mowers. You just cant tell customer to wait a few weeks.

J&R Landscaping
03-25-2007, 09:22 PM
If you have a Bobcat dealer locally, the Bobcat fastcat is prolly right down your alley! Second choice would be the scag or gravely

rinkleroot
03-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Lifetree, thanks I forgot all about the Dixon mowers, there appears to be 5 dealers within 50 miles of me, I'll give them a look.

daveintoledo
03-25-2007, 09:38 PM
just buy commercial, dont waste you time and money or intelligence listening to anyone tell you to buy a residential mower.....

all the brands have good points and bad.... test it out and see what you like....just dont by a homeowner z

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 09:47 PM
just buy commercial, dont waste you time and money or intelligence listening to anyone tell you to buy a residential mower.....

all the brands have good points and bad.... test it out and see what you like....just dont by a homeowner z

Good advice....

KS_Grasscutter
03-25-2007, 09:54 PM
http://www.dixon-ztr.com/view_product_group.php?product=125&PHPSESSID=bb581f83435da1092957fbcaea383b7c

Dixon Kodiak 25hp/52".

lzrj
03-25-2007, 10:30 PM
For under 6k, I would look at the Scags Tiger Cub if you have a dealer in your area. It is a step above anything on your list and you will be happier with your decision. If you stick with the 48" cut wearing the briggs 26hp ELS engine you should come in around that. A lot of commercial people have said to stay away from the briggs but for a homeowner it will last you a very long time. I decided on an Everride Warrior I bought for 3.6 acres and even though its a great machine, sometimes I wish I went for a smaller unit b/c its really too much for what I really need.

Coumbe
03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
I have had a tiger cub for 3 years now and it has 1,830 hours on it and I cut lawns that have not been cut for over a year sometimes. The cub is so tuff I wonder what advantages the Turf Tiger or Saber Tooth have to offer over the cub. Other than inches on the deck.

tacoma200
03-25-2007, 11:06 PM
I have had a tiger cub for 3 years now and it has 1,830 hours on it and I cut lawns that have not been cut for over a year sometimes. The cub is so tuff I wonder what advantages the Turf Tiger or Saber Tooth have to offer over the cub. Other than inches on the deck.

That's probably it. Turf Tiger is just a little bigger. Of course the durable and fuel efficient diesel engine has a following. I prefer a larger frame for larger properties. The size of the Tiger would be a disadvantage in many area's.

Coumbe
03-25-2007, 11:23 PM
It's fast and compact, but not light weight or easy on gas.

Pietro
03-25-2007, 11:28 PM
I gotta be honest, spending more money will get you more product. You will spend up to 6,000? Why not get one of Toro's Diesel Z masters? I didnt wanna spend that much on a machine either, but the 0% APR made my choice easy. I did 50 lawns a week last year on 1 tank of diesel fuel in that machine. The fuel economy is insane compared to gasoline mowers, and the 23 hp kubota has more TQ than youll need. I paid 10,600 for my diesel 60 inch, but the 52 might be cheaper. Maybe you can find a diesel demo for sale? The kubota engine is great, and will supposidly outlast the machine, if its properly maintained.

Bueller
03-25-2007, 11:35 PM
I bought a Ferris 61" a couple of years ago, it was a left over. You can't get one for $6000 at least that size but, what I am saying is leftovers can save you a grand or so. If you can find one. Always go commercail

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Isn't Dixon owned by Husqvarna now? If so then IMO it doesn't compare to Scag, Gravely, Toro, or Exmark. I had a husky it was my last one ever. A lot of mower companies are offering great deals with financing right now so that is always something to consider. I don't know anything about bobcat cause no one around here uses them. When I bought my Gravely 260 I shopped around and tried Toro's but I didn't like it, I was very impressed w/ the Scag Turf Tiger but it was just a little more (ok about $1800 more). I demoed the gravely and I knew it was what I wanted plus I got a great deal on it so I was lucky.

Try out several different models and brands. If you think you might want a Scag let me know cause I have a good relationship with my local dealer and she might look out for you price wise and your not that far away too.

Prestige-Lawncare
03-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Others have mentioned buying from a local dealer ... and it sounds like you are going to be doing that. My hustler dealer is only 5 miles away from me (if that) ... and he is one of the best there is. Parts availability, turn around time, and loaner mowers so you don't lose any time because of down time. They are a family owned dealership, at least three generations deep that I know of ... maybe more.

My dealer contends that the FasTrak is more of a "high-end residential mower" ... and doesn't recommend it for much commercial use at all. And if I remember correctly from reading your original post (I've ready many replies since then) ... you are more or less going to use this for your own personal needs. If that's the case ... good choice. If you are going to use it for other lawns as well ... maybe move up to the Mini Z.

Let us know what you decide on.

Steelratt
03-26-2007, 09:55 AM
I went through almost the same list last year, and ended up with the Gravely 44. It's a much more substantial machine than the fastrack, and many of the details (i.e. separate pumps and motors as opposed to integrated units) seem more durable. Not trying to diminish the Hustlers, but when I compared them, it wasn't even close.

I only use the mower for my own yars (approx 1.5 acres) but the level of construction on the Gravely really appealed to me. Also, and this was wierd, I just couldn't fit on the fastrack. It had a lot less room than the Gravely.

Mowman16
03-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Do you have an eXmark dealer nearby? That would be my first pick, second maby the Gravly or Dixon:confused: .

rinkleroot
03-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Albery, thanks for the offer, if I decide on the Scag I might take you up on it.

Prestige, it'll be for personal use, I think the FasTrak 48 would suit my needs but I'll compare it to the MiniZ too.

Steelratt, the Gravely 44z is at the top of my list right now.

Mowman, the Exmark dealer is one of the closest to my location, what do you think about the LazerZ HP 46 w/19 Kawasaki ?

thanks again everyone for all the great info!!

ProStreetCamaro
03-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Albery, thanks for the offer, if I decide on the Scag I might take you up on it.

Prestige, it'll be for personal use, I think the FasTrak 48 would suit my needs but I'll compare it to the MiniZ too.

Steelratt, the Gravely 44z is at the top of my list right now.

Mowman, the Exmark dealer is one of the closest to my location, what do you think about the LazerZ HP 46 w/19 Kawasaki ?

thanks again everyone for all the great info!!

I will attest to the Gravely. We have owned most of the big name mowers and the Gravelys have always been at the top. Durability and cut quality have always been good with our Gravely mowers. Same goes for our Lazer. Our Tank is still to new to comment about the long term durability but it really is built like a Tank so I dont see any reason it wont last a long time either. Thats another option for you would be to look at the Cub commercial Tanks. We like our M48.

lifetree
03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Lifetree, thanks I forgot all about the Dixon mowers, there appears to be 5 dealers within 50 miles of me, I'll give them a look.

Isn't Dixon owned by Husqvarna now? If so then IMO it doesn't compare to Scag, Gravely, Toro, or Exmark. I had a husky it was my last one ever.

Albery is right, Husqvarna nows owns Dixon ... however, I've been by my dealer to look at the 2007 models and they actually appear to be a little better than the 2006 model, which I own.