PDA

View Full Version : before sod - how high on heads

zliminator
03-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I have a customer who wants the sod installed after the irrigation system. How high should I leave the heads sticking out of the ground? I figured the sod will add about 2" the the ground level.

Dan

bicmudpuppy
03-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Your figuring the sod to add 2" to grade? Who is laying this sod? and what do the crews look like? If I'm the guy laying it or paying the guys to lay it, I'm going to throw a tissy fit if they sod is cut more than an inch and I would prefer 3/4". I have seen sod cut at 1/2" and it doesn't hold up well. 3/4" with reinforced netting holds up and lays well. Normally, I grade to the base of a PGP. The sod makes up the rest of the difference. A bit more than the cap showing on spray heads. So, grade for just over 1/2" and live with it if the sod comes in thick.

Dirty Water
03-25-2007, 11:16 PM
I set heads at 1.25" higher than grade. What works well for reference is a scrap of 2x4. Sod varies greatly from region to region, and I've found that the amount of soil with the sod strips works out to exactly that here.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Flex connections also help here.

Dirty Water
03-25-2007, 11:21 PM
I think any installer worth his money should be putting heads on swing joints.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 11:34 PM
I think any installer worth his money should be putting heads on swing joints.

I don't always use swing joints because I don't get paid what I am worth but I do use flex on every job.

Dirty Water
03-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Enlighten me, as different regions use different terms.

What is this flex you speak of? Poly Pipe? Doubtful down in TX.

Poly Cutoff risers maybe?

Duekster
03-26-2007, 12:21 AM
I think they call it funny pipe.

I use a thread barb on other ends. It has to be about a foot long or else it does not stay put with out a swing fitting.

txgrassguy
03-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Your figuring the sod to add 2" to grade? Who is laying this sod? and what do the crews look like? If I'm the guy laying it or paying the guys to lay it, I'm going to throw a tissy fit if they sod is cut more than an inch and I would prefer 3/4". I have seen sod cut at 1/2" and it doesn't hold up well. 3/4" with reinforced netting holds up and lays well. Normally, I grade to the base of a PGP. The sod makes up the rest of the difference. A bit more than the cap showing on spray heads. So, grade for just over 1/2" and live with it if the sod comes in thick.

The chances are the original poster is laying either St Augustine or Centipede grass. And there no freaking way a sod harvester is going to cut either of these two grasses at anything below 2".
Some of the hybrid Bermuda's and Zoysia's are cut much thinner do to their growth characteristics and I have never heard of St Augustine or Centipede being available with the reinforcing net.
It's been awhile since I threw sod in Florida so maybe things have changed.
Regarding the irrigation head height, with the heads on swing joints your life would be much easier.
As an economizing tactic you can opt for poly pipe but after a certain amount of heads on the install you will actually save money
buying ready made swing joints.

Dirty Water
03-26-2007, 01:10 AM
I think they call it funny pipe.

I use a thread barb on other ends. It has to be about a foot long or else it does not stay put with out a swing fitting.

I make all my swing joints out of funny pipe, two barb el's and a marlex 90.

Duekster
03-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Can is see a pic of that arrangement? two barbs and a 90?

Dirty Water
03-26-2007, 02:23 AM
It looks pretty much the same as a prefabricated swing joint, only I can vary the length.

http://www.jains.com/irrigation/popups%20and%20sprinklers/swing_joints.jpg

I use the marlex el with the barbed el at the head because it gives you the ability to rotate or tilt the head on any axis. I only use the barbed el on the tee side of the joint, instead of using an additional marlex 90 like in the picture above.

Mike Leary
03-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Gravity should point out the obvious...." easier to raise a head than lower it".The swing joint Jon posted is S.O., no marlex @ the tee/ell.

gusbuster
03-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Gravity should point out the obvious...." easier to raise a head than lower it".The swing joint Jon posted is S.O., no marlex @ the tee/ell.
S.O., do you mean s.o.p.?

Another reason to use swing joints besides easier to do a final position, if the body is set too high, you will get more give if ran over\hit\trip than if somebody did a direct connect using nipples or a male adapter. (can't stand it when somebody does this)

Regarding what is available to you most common are either toro or r.b. barb connectors, better and easier to use is made from Lasco called"blue twisters" and I've started myself using a product called "blu-lock". Saves your wrist and hands and don't have to worry about blowout, if you insert it properly.

Mike Leary
03-26-2007, 07:18 PM
We started using the "blu-locks" when introduced..perfect, even in winter.
Had to soak the swing pipe in hot water in the early days, or dare to admit
it, used the torch. Don't skimp on the Marlex, it's there for a very good reason.

Mike Leary
03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Sorry for the early thread: the Lasco "twisters" are what we use.

PurpHaze
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Our swing joints do not require a torch. :)