PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu NPR vs. trailer

Gaturf
03-25-2007, 11:11 PM
what are some pros and cons to each. im looking to sell my enclosed trailer and go with a Isuzu NPR.

trailer: no insurance cost
Isuzu NPR: no hooking and unhooking
trailer: doesnt require fuel
Isuzu NPR: If i have employees they can drive it when im working elsewhere.

any other pros and cons

thanks

gaturf

mcwlandscaping
03-25-2007, 11:16 PM
HUGE cost difference.....unless you count the truck to pull the trailer as well

Duekster
03-25-2007, 11:17 PM
what are some pros and cons to each. im looking to sell my enclosed trailer and go with a Isuzu NPR.

trailer: no insurance cost
Isuzu NPR: no hooking and unhooking
trailer: doesnt require fuel
Isuzu NPR: If i have employees they can drive it when im working elsewhere.

any other pros and cons

thanks

gaturf

I have insurance on my trailers.

I like the NPR idea but have not bought one yet.

TLSTGM
03-25-2007, 11:23 PM
NPR: No truck bed to put trash in, bad gas mileage, if you have to put a ramp system on it, it could cost just as much as a trailer or more. Insurance could be more, parts are very exspensive for them a diesel anyway. But, they are very dependable and tough trucks. I have 273,000 miles on mine in 5 yrs and only regular maint. and a few other minor thing. But i can tell you a radiator cost about $800. Oil change can be expensive. But ill get another npr when the time comes

troblandscape
03-25-2007, 11:57 PM
I just bought a used 1999 Chevy Box truck with 69,000 miles on it for 6700.00 I just ordered a rear gate for it for 1330.00. As far as an NPR with a diesel I had no need for, because my lawn crew only puts on 7,000 miles per year, for 120 lawn route. I can see not being able to put debris in the box the only down fall for me, Gas, Insurance and parts are the all the same as my last pick-up with trailer set-up. The real reason I went with the set-up is to cut down on pull overs from police to check trailer violations, it has gotten really bad around here.

Also we don't bag any of our lawns the only debris they come across when cutting are tree branches... they will have to call in the landscaping crew to pick up.

I would say if you are using a box truck strickly for cutting grass then it is the way to go, No more trailer inspections and insurance.

syzer
03-26-2007, 12:28 AM
One of the best things we've done!

http://www.precision-aquatics.com/gallery/albums/album04/lettered_truck_2.sized.jpg

Duekster
03-26-2007, 12:34 AM
One of the best things we've done!

http://www.precision-aquatics.com/gallery/albums/album04/lettered_truck_2.sized.jpg

Keeps the guys out of the ***** house for sure. :)

Chilehead
03-26-2007, 01:15 AM
It is now time for me to get a new rig setup. Currently, I use a trailer behind my pickup. My new rig? A BIGGER trailer with a BIGGER pickup. Consider the following: With a cab-over (a.k.a. Isuzu NPR), you get one very "specialized" unit that is very inefficient on fuel, and if God-forbid you get in a head-on wreck in one of those--you're dead meat. With a truck/trailer setup you get versatility galore. You can upgrade your utility(trailer) or powerplant(truck) at a nominal cost. You CAN carry grass clippings/debris. You can also generally tow a large piece of equipment better with a pickup than what an NPR can handle for its payload. Try driving a skid steer into an NPR--you'll blow out the leaf springs. The only caveat to a truck/trailer rig is lack of maneuverability. Personally, I think a full size pickup with a 12' trailer is the perfect size rig. Oh, and did I mention that enclosed trailers can serve as rolling billboards? Hope this helps.

ncls
03-26-2007, 02:18 AM
For us northeners, our trucks push the snow in the winter. I could see one of those "rolling billboard" enclosed trailers a few years down the road though.

Gaturf
03-26-2007, 10:28 AM
it sounds like you guys that use trailers up north have it rough, getting pulled over by PD, having to buy seperate insurance for your trailer......my regular truck policy covers anything i pull and anything thats on my trailer. maybe i just have a great insurance provider. does anyone on here let your employees drive your truck and trailer? because i work at the fire dept every third day i want to have my guys work while im there.

gaturf

troblandscape
03-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I dont know how we would get stuff done if I didnt let my employees drive a truck with a trailer.:confused:

LTDLawnCare
03-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I guess I am somewhere in the middle of this. I have an NPR Dump truck that i pull an open trailer with. I will be pulling an enclosed withing the next month or so but that is neither here nor there. I went with the dump instead of the landscape body for the versitility. I do a lot of mulch, loam, and other types of material delivery and install. The only thing I dont like about the truck is the arm and leg I have to pay to fix it.

TMlawncare
03-27-2007, 01:01 AM
It is now time for me to get a new rig setup. Currently, I use a trailer behind my pickup. My new rig? A BIGGER trailer with a BIGGER pickup. Consider the following: With a cab-over (a.k.a. Isuzu NPR), you get one very "specialized" unit that is very inefficient on fuel, and if God-forbid you get in a head-on wreck in one of those--you're dead meat. With a truck/trailer setup you get versatility galore. You can upgrade your utility(trailer) or powerplant(truck) at a nominal cost. You CAN carry grass clippings/debris. You can also generally tow a large piece of equipment better with a pickup than what an NPR can handle for its payload. Try driving a skid steer into an NPR--you'll blow out the leaf springs. The only caveat to a truck/trailer rig is lack of maneuverability. Personally, I think a full size pickup with a 12' trailer is the perfect size rig. Oh, and did I mention that enclosed trailers can serve as rolling billboards? Hope this helps.

FYI, you can put over 6000lbs on the bed of a NPR. It barly squats. We put 3 2000lbs pallets of dimension on our 2006 and it handled it with no problems. On my 1 ton chevy 2 pallets (4000lbs) darn near kills the thing.
Btw, the Isuzu's have trailer hitches also.