PDA

View Full Version : sulky or not?

scottish lscape1
03-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Looking for answers??? Would you put a sulky on a Exmark Metro 48" belt drive? 1 wheel or 2? Thanks

Runner
03-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Two wheel. Go for it. It allows you to go faster speeds and more often, it is less fatigue, and you feel better at the end of the day. the 1 wheel/2 wheel thing has been discussed on here many times. The 2 wheel always has the higher vote. First, it doesn't give you that middle wheel mark down the center. Second, the two wheel platforms have much more room for your feet, so you can shuffle around a bit and "switch up" now and again. The one wheel ends up harder on the knees from not being able to switch positions as much.

DaughtryLC
03-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Unless you want to do alot of this!:walking:

Captains Landscape
03-25-2007, 11:36 PM
If you question the ability of the machine to handle a sulky...It sure can. I personally wont let them be used, I find they compromise the stripes the mower creates. I like the "pro slide" made by Husky because it adds to the stripes, but doesnít turn well. If I had to choose I would go with the single wheel for overall ease of use.

Pietro
03-25-2007, 11:59 PM
^That guy is crazy. 2 Wheel sulky is the best. The 1 wheel puts too much strain on the 1 wheel and it makes a mark on the turf, whereas the 2 wheel distributed your weight over 2 wheels. leaving less of a mark. I am an owner operator, and I will not be caught walking beind my mowers. If Im not using one of my Zero turn riders because I gotta get thru a gate, Im standing on a sulky. Walking behind a mower gets old FAST.

Captains Landscape
03-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Yeah...I'm crazy. The 2 wheel sulky is much more convenient in the up position slamming into your knees. And all 2-wheel sulkys have a better turning radius than single wheels, and 2 wheel sulkys wont make any divots in turf. But what do I know I was just a power equipment dealer for 6 years.:laugh:

scottish lscape1
03-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Thank You Gentlemen!:usflag:

Runner
03-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Yep...I'll stick by the two wheeled. I haven't been a dealer for 6 years, but I HAVE been out in the field as an operator for TWENTY six years! LOL!

fiveoboy01
03-27-2007, 12:00 AM
The simple answer is get one if you don't want to walk all day.

My TT has an advertised top speed of something like 6.2mph.

You're jogging at a very good clip(more like a slow run) if you're mowing at full stick with it. The sulky will keep you from tiring out.

One wheel versus 2 wheel, I'd go with 2 wheel any day. I have a 1-wheeled one and I don't like it because of the mark it leaves, screwing up the stripe.

TheLawnBarber
03-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Two wheel, Jungle Jim's sulky thats all you need to make money!!!

txgrassguy
03-27-2007, 12:23 AM
When I was a two man show at first I ran a single wheel sulkie on a belt driven walk behind.
Now, no way as the crews were tearing equipment and sites to pieces so I yanked all of the sulkies.
The only impact I have noticed in terms of production has actually been in my company's benefit as the equipment is lasting longer, sites aren't being damaged as much, the finished mowing looks better and the crews are still coming to work on time.