PDA

View Full Version : Mulching vs. Side Discharge?

blewis3412
03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Just wondering which method you use during the spring and summer?

Duekster
03-25-2007, 11:42 PM
The lands fills don't want it and it recycles the fertilizer.

Pietro
03-25-2007, 11:46 PM
We discharge with Gator blades. Mulching doesnt work in Jersey, the lawns are too thick and it just clumps. Worste case, you double cut. Cut the lawn once, then raise the deck and cut the clippings. We use a 60 inch and a 48 inch zero turn at the same time, so double cutting doesnt take too much time. Mulching does NOT work.

Duekster
03-25-2007, 11:48 PM
We discharge with Gator blades. Mulching doesnt work in Jersey, the lawns are too thick and it just clumps. Worste case, you double cut. Cut the lawn once, then raise the deck and cut the clippings. We use a 60 inch and a 48 inch zero turn at the same time, so double cutting doesnt take too much time. Mulching does NOT work.

Cool season grass

Pietro
03-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Here it doesnt matter if its Spring, summer or fall, the grass is thick as $hit and mulch kits arent worth it. Ive tried everything and find that dischargine is best. We run high lift blades and a gator blade by the discharge side, this method is the best Ive come across so far. Im goin to try double blades on the riders this year, so Well see how that goes.

greengiant9963
03-26-2007, 12:27 AM

This is what we do also. I have never seen a commercial lawn company ever use mulch kits in my area. Either bag or side discharge.

Frontstreetlawns
03-26-2007, 12:39 AM
here we cant get away with side discharge, nobody will hire you. its either bag it or mulch and mulching doesnt work to well when its wet. so its only in summer time here

Meg-Mo
03-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Try the MEG MO blades and those problems are solved

mcwlandscaping
03-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I do the same, same deal

Roger
03-26-2007, 09:04 AM
I share the same comments above regarding heavy, sappy grass clippings -- mulching won't work for me. I side discharge, or bag (selective areas). But, I rarely use Gator blades, rather high-lift blades. When the turf is damp, sappy, the extra cutting of the Gators will make matters worse -- creation of mush, little green wads, etc. The water content is very high in the clippings. The quicker they get out from under the deck, the better. The key to a good outcome is even dispersal of the clippings. The water content may be high, but when they dry out, the result is acceptable. I would much rather have an even distribution of clippings, with long lengths, than to have shorter pieces with rows, clumps or wads.

marckxman
03-26-2007, 09:24 AM
PacNW, mulching does not work here. Rye grass is just too juicy. Even side discharging is iffy when the grass is wet. I either bag or discharge and then blow to disburse the clippings.

There are some conditions in summer where mulching is sort of posible but why mess with it? Discharging works fine.

In my contracts I always stipulate that clippings will be removed or recycled at my discretion. "Recycling" sounds better then "Let 'em fly"

john_incircuit
03-26-2007, 09:54 AM
we almost exclusively mulch our tall fescue lawns. Now, of course, it will not work when the grass is too tall or too wet, but we mulch around 90% of the time.

Many times when we go to a dealer and say "we mulch", we get the "real men do side discharge" looks... Reality is, with the right equipment and right conditions, the clippings just disappear and the cut looks wonderful.

ProStreetCamaro
03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah mulching doesnt work here either. Our cool season grass and wet mornings fromt he dew will not allow mulching in this area. We strictly side discharge and it has always worked just fine for us. If you get a couple rows of heavy clippings just raise the deck and blast across them.

blewis3412
03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
How can I tell which blades came on my Phazer? I was thinking about getting a set of Gators. What do you think?

jcantrell
03-26-2007, 03:49 PM
side discharge with mulching blades

blewis3412
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
So, thats what it came with?