PDA

View Full Version : what would you plant

smcunningham
03-26-2007, 02:53 AM
heres the details
the first picture the customer wants five flowers annual preferred/but will be ok with perennually if they last from now till fall (color wise) ...........wants color and three different colors......the last three pics by the mailbox wants same thing but ten plants/three colors..........first pic the flowers will go in the center up close to the walk...you can kinda see where some mumms use to be that I gotta take out....oh yeah they dont want mumms either

lawnguyland
03-26-2007, 07:39 AM
If I were you I'd plant myself in a chair and start learning about plants! That looks like a nice area BTW. Something simple for full sun would be petunias.

Eakern & Dog
03-26-2007, 08:52 AM
heres the details
the first picture the customer wants five flowers annual preferred/but will be ok with perennually if they last from now till fall (color wise) ...........wants color and three different colors......the last three pics by the mailbox wants same thing but ten plants/three colors..........first pic the flowers will go in the center up close to the walk...you can kinda see where some mumms use to be that I gotta take out....oh yeah they dont want mumms either

Well, first......I don't think the quanity of "5" and "10" will be enough for these areas unless you can get your hands on some decent looking 6" to 8" inch pots this early in the season. You may get by with planting only five
4"inch pots at the house but I think the mail box area will need more. I would recommend annual Vinca (Catharanthus roseus) for the mail box area.It is a great full sun bedding choice. As stated above, Petunias are good, but you will have to dead head regualarly to keep them looking good. You will have a better chance of getting Petunias now at the shops. Annual Vinca becomes available a little later in the Spring down here. Also, I would add some additional soil/conditioner to the bed(s),till/turn and create a slight mounding effect for the plants.

smcunningham
03-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah I need to learn alot about plants, flowers,bushes....ect....
most of the planting I've done before most customers would be like I want this planted here and that planted there and know what they wanted.......
I'd just go get some peat moss and planting soil and 1part peat(sp) moss 1 part planting soil and 1 part original soil.........nothing died yet.3rys doing like this...

Keep the sugg/ideas coming

The area includes 6 of my res customers...want it to look good

TheKingNJ
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
i'm sick of people looking for free designs on this forum. If you don't know how to design a flowerbed you shouldn't be calling yourself a LANDSCAPER.

Michael J. Donovan
03-26-2007, 12:02 PM
seems to me that he is looking for some assistance with this project and doesn't claim to know everything and he isn't just looking for a free design...he did state that most of is dealings have been with people telling him what they wanted and where they wanted it.

Just like your sig line says "just looking to learn everything I can"... I believe he is trying to do the same.

mattfromNY
03-26-2007, 12:12 PM
OK, this is a little off topic, but you gotta settle my mind..... Look at the middle picture (Little girl playing with the measuring wheel on the side of the road), next picture has the wheel laying in the road and a car just going over the horizon. Tell me she's alright!!!
Did we just witness a hit and run?? LOL.

smcunningham
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
matt from ny the little girl is the homeowners little girl and the van pulling away is the little girls mom w/ the little girl onboard........the husband is out of the pic on the road

smcunningham
03-26-2007, 02:09 PM
TheKingNJ
i'm sick of people looking for free designs on this forum. If you don't know how to design a flowerbed you shouldn't be calling yourself a LANDSCAPER.

I'm not asking for anything but some ideas........If people make you sick from asking for free designs........charge them........or dont give a design......or stop reading the thread. Oh yeah I guess you never read anything on ls that you did'nt aready know....if so then it was free....unless you have to pay to be a member but the last time I checked it was free....

Not trying to be a jerk but I dont see how I'm asking for anything free I'd rather learn from experience personally........and if I can get some insight better yet ..........I sure don't know it all.........and I'm sure you dont either.
The few yards that i have designed the customers were 100% satisfied
Again not trying to be a jerk but maybe you can help me understand how I'm asking for a free design?????????

NewHorizon's Land
03-26-2007, 10:16 PM
TLS go with the Annual Vinca. They do good in our area in the summer. If it is truley full afternoon sun plant them a little farther apart if you plan on giving them some fert. They will get big. I had one get to about 15" wide on me. Vinca will bloom from about May to Sept into Oct if your lucky.

cutbetterthanyou
03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
[
As stated above, Petunias are good, but you will have to dead head regualarly to keep them looking good. You will have a better chance of getting Petunias now at the shops. .[/QUOTE]

the dead heading part is true but if you use wave petunias you don't have to worry about it. they self dead head. they are huge. and they require next to no watering. they are great but a little expensive. last year i put some in around may and did no maintenance to them and they still looked good in october. they are also pretty in pots that they can drape down the sides.

Eakern & Dog
03-26-2007, 11:09 PM
wave petunias

Cool. I've never seen them before. I will look for them. Thanks

ooo
03-26-2007, 11:17 PM
If you decide to use perennials...try www.bluestoneperennials.com and do a custom search. You can search by zone/color/bloom time/etc.. It will atleast give you some ideas.

cutbetterthanyou
03-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Cool. I've never seen them before. I will look for them. Thanks

Be perpared, if I remeber correctly they were very pricey, but I think they are worth it in the long run. If you don't want to do flower rotations you don't have to they look good all summer that is one reason I planted them.

PerfectEarth
03-26-2007, 11:34 PM

I tend to agree somewhat with this post. Not so much the free advice part but the design part..... After a while reading many, many threads on this site, I've come to the conclusion that many "Landscapers" who post here have very little idea (and I mean BASICS) about their TRADE. It is really unbelievable sometimes. It's like an auto mechanic's forum with a million threads about how to change windshield wipers.

C'mon... I'm no super-expert but some of these questions are just crazy. Perennial or annual color for a probably dry, sunny, exposed area??? Pick from a million choices. Get a book. Do a search.

dKoester
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
I would plant red knock out roses in the beds near the house and purple petunias by the mail box. BTW, someone help that lawn.

PerfectEarth
03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Yea, a few knockouts by the house might do. Out at the mailbox, I'd do zinnias in orange and white and some dwarf fountain grasses. With maybe some veronica? Maybe set a small rock?

dKoester
03-27-2007, 12:11 AM
I like using maiden grass with the knock outs. Stella D oro daylilies would look good also. He could use a smaller grass up at the mail box like cassian or hameln with the daylilies. Needs new mulch also.

smcunningham
03-27-2007, 01:59 AM
thanks for all the replys TLS

Dreams To Designs
03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
TLS, if you already have your layout in mind from the information you have received, go with it. If not, and you would like design advice or a design or imagine to show your client, contact me via PM or email and I will be happy to help you out.

As for folks looking for free design advice, it is a problem. Not here, but everywhere. Design is thought of as something that is not tangible, and therefore is of little value. Many landscapers are just that, folks that can manipulate the land and install plants, hardscapes, structures, garden accents and the like. All of these materials will not make sense unless an appropriate design is created that makes a cohesive plan out of all of these seemingly unrelated materials. Design is an additional service of the landscape industry, just like hardscape installation, irrigation or chemical applications. We don't all do all of these services and must sometimes work with others to get the best of all worlds. Do what you know and get the appropite help when you need it.

For those that think they can do it all, "Jack of all trades, Master of none". If you are able to surround yourself with the talents of experts in different fields, then that is a bonus for your company and your clients, but for those that try to do it all themselves, your work will reflect your ignorance.

Kirk

Kate Butler
03-27-2007, 01:22 PM
I'd use not just 'Stella d'Oro', but 'Happy Returns' (the yellow form of 'Stella'),'Pardon Me' (same dwarf form, dark red flowers, also a rebloomer) by the mailbox. There are other dwarf hemerocallis varieties and colors and many are rebloomers. With careful selection, your client can have color for almost four months.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
TLS, if you already have your layout in mind from the information you have received, go with it. If not, and you would like design advice or a design or imagine to show your client, contact me via PM or email and I will be happy to help you out.

As for folks looking for free design advice, it is a problem. Not here, but everywhere. Design is thought of as something that is not tangible, and therefore is of little value. Many landscapers are just that, folks that can manipulate the land and install plants, hardscapes, structures, garden accents and the like. All of these materials will not make sense unless an appropriate design is created that makes a cohesive plan out of all of these seemingly unrelated materials. Design is an additional service of the landscape industry, just like hardscape installation, irrigation or chemical applications. We don't all do all of these services and must sometimes work with others to get the best of all worlds. Do what you know and get the appropite help when you need it.

For those that think they can do it all, "Jack of all trades, Master of none". If you are able to surround yourself with the talents of experts in different fields, then that is a bonus for your company and your clients, but for those that try to do it all themselves, your work will reflect your ignorance.

Kirk

nice post.......I would love to see those with their panties in a bunch about these requests to just move on to the next thread. Obviously there are those individuals here that are Ok with helping out. The subject line clearly implies a request for "design" assistance....