PDA

View Full Version : Cheapo' Echo Hedgetimmer replacement blades?

Carolina Cuts
03-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I had bought one of the Home Depot Echo Hedge Trimmers beginning of last season to do a few small shrub jobs. Ended up doing ALOT of shrubs, blades are chewed up pretty bad. Although the engine itself still runs strong. Before I go buy a new commercial trimmer, I'm much rather just get new blades... Anyone ever order or know where to find replacement blades?

Scagguy
03-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Any Echo dealer other than Home Depot should have replacement blades.

GreenN'Clean
03-26-2007, 04:50 PM
you can order them from echo have them shipped to your door

ed2hess
03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
What do you mean chewed up? I have units that are used almost daily and are many years old. Sharpen them and go on....I assume this is an HC1500?

Carolina Cuts
03-26-2007, 06:09 PM
What do you mean chewed up

chewed up as in dull, beat up, not sharp, butter knife.... if I knicked myself with em'... I might giggle a little. They were cheap, therefore I neglected them... I'd cut anything and everything with em'...1/2 inch branches and sometimes force almost inch size branches.

Sharpen them?? Ugh! I'm not good at that... I'd buy a whole new unit before sharpening these blades.

What unit?? hmmm... not sure... don't remember. They were about $259.00 at the depot.

mowerman90
03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Sharpen them?? Ugh! I'm not good at that... I'd buy a whole new unit before sharpening these blades.

I think once you see how much they want for those blades you'll "LEARN" real quick how to sharpen them. I've never priced them but a friend told me they run around $80 per set. They are not that difficult to sharpen if you just take your time. Or, you could have your dealer sharpen them.

ashs inc
03-26-2007, 06:45 PM
look at j-thomas.com they sell them for $28 a blade catalog says requires 2 blades

Jason Rose
03-26-2007, 06:46 PM
They are time consuming to sharpen, but it can be done! Best tool for it is a Dremel tool with just a chainsaw sharpening stone. I think that the "blades" on the Echos are top notch. Insanely sharp when new and looked to be of very good quality. I bought the Echo for good stuff and have an older Tanaka that I use where I should probably be using a chainsaw, lol.

ed2hess
03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
The blades take less than five minutes to sharpen.....use an angle grinder with a sanding pad. Unloosen the gear box and remove the plate so you can rotate the gears by hand to get the blades in position to sharpen. I sharpen ours just about monthly.....I hear the new models don't need to be sharpen near as much. It really is very easy....one reason I have alway recommended the angle grinder for blades is because it can be used for these hedge trimmers.

Runner
03-26-2007, 11:49 PM
A straight air powered die grinder with a flat disk makes SHORT time of sharpening these thing.

LCPullman
03-27-2007, 12:11 AM
I sharpen the blades on my Echos often. It works well and is well worth it as opposed to spending $80 on a new pair of blades. The blades will last for years with good sharpening.
I run my HC-150 through 1/2"+ branches, keep the blades sharp and keep going, I'm still using my original set of blades and I have run the machine through 3 or 4 seasons of tough work.

Whatever you do, don't throw the machine, it may be relatively cheap, but its a good commercial machine and deserves to be run quite a few more years.

tallimeca
03-27-2007, 09:55 AM
they are about 80 bucks to replace a set.

They started using newer style blades last season. They are a little tougher and have 3 edge cutting surfaces.

Sliced my hand on the showroom floor twice last year. They are no joke!

Makes no sense to chuck out a good pair of clippers because you dont' want to deal with the blades. Would you throw your mower out if the blade went dull?

Just remember if you change blade they have to be timed in sequence.

Oh by the way 1/2 inch thick is WAY too much to be cutting with a pair of hedge clippers!!!! No wonder you guys piss through gear boxes!!!!

3/8 max is the rating on these.