PDA

View Full Version : Visa / Mastercard???

HFS
03-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Attn: All Pros,

Were looking at adding Visa & Mastercard Credit Card through our local bank as a pay option for our clients. Have many of you found this worth your time or due you feel its best to stick to good old cash and check. NOTE: We plan to be doing a little more mid-sized landscape projects for clients this season.

Thanks,

HFS
Home Front Services, LLC (MN)

ArizPestWeed
03-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Do it .
I have and love it

ccash
03-26-2007, 11:07 AM
it works good for some of my large commercial properties.

jcantrell
03-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Credit cards work great! It sets you apart from many companies. Once the customer sees the ease of payment with a credit card they never go back. We charge more for cash or check payments.

AbsoluteH&L
03-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Wow I would have thought with the fees on card transactions the fee would be there. Even I as a smaller business have thought about taking cards. It's the fees that are holding me back from deciding.

jcantrell
03-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I add the fee onto cash & checks to "nudge" my customers to use credit cards. When they use a credit card I automatically bill it weekly once the work is done. 3 days later its in my account. I always get paid, period. It saves me the time, paper and postage from having to create paper invoices. If a customer who pays with credit card wants their invoices I email them a year end statement, but most of the time their credit card/bank statement is sufficient. The fees don't add up to be to much as long as you have most of your customers on autopilot (credit cards). Especially when you consider the time and postage savings.

ooo
03-26-2007, 05:07 PM
I only accept online credit card payments right now. I use PayPal link from my site. The customers dont have to have an account with PayPal, it costs them nothing and costs me very little.

Vikings
03-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Did you guys get your online merchant with a Godaddy type of site?

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ecommerce/cart_qbms.asp?isc=qbmssite01

I have quick books pro and they recommend this site as it is compatible with their software.

I read this quote here on another thread. "Of course we also take Credit Cards too but REMEMBER while you may never have a problem or get caught you must have an electronic payment portal, a secure site, a dedicated IP address, AND a merchant bank to legally take credit cards on-line. "

And I'm wondering about this, I want to do it legally but also cheaply. I'm just not sure of my options, I was planning to join the Intuit forums but maybe someone here could shed some light on how to set this service up.

jcantrell
03-26-2007, 06:55 PM
I read this quote here on another thread. "Of course we also take Credit Cards too but REMEMBER while you may never have a problem or get caught you must have an electronic payment portal, a secure site, a dedicated IP address, AND a merchant bank to legally take credit cards on-line. "

Any legit credit card company will provide all of those things with their package.

I haven't used merchant services through a domain provider or paypal. My customers don't have the ability to pay on their own. I have all their info on file and charge their cards through my online merchant company. Like I said earlier if you can get the majority of your customers switch to this form of payment they will never look back, and neither will you!

bobw
03-26-2007, 07:14 PM
I've been looking into accepting credit cards up here (Canada). Let me tell you that you Americans get a LOT better deal on it than we do. The costs for equipment and minimum processing fees add up quickly.

I've put off the decision long enough now that I think I'll kill the idea for this season and see what I think later in the fall.

Lynden-Jeff
03-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Im signing up for a credit card machine through my bank. online = pain in the ARSE. A machine costs me $18 + 1-3% for mc/visa and I can run credit cards all day long.

Cheers
Jeff

ooo
03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Im signing up for a credit card machine through my bank. online = pain in the ARSE. A machine costs me $18 + 1-3% for mc/visa and I can run credit cards all day long.

Cheers
Jeff

Why is online a pain? They click a link, taken to PayPal site, my info is filled out for them, they put in the card numbers, and they are done. I could get a machine, but many people are not home when I am doing the work. Works out for both us that way.

HFS
03-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys, the thread has only been up for the day and I think were going to go ahead and do it. Thanks again for all the replys...

HFS
Home Front Services, LLC (MN)

Precision
03-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Wow I would have thought with the fees on card transactions the fee would be there. Even I as a smaller business have thought about taking cards. It's the fees that are holding me back from deciding.

Don't let it.

my fees monthly are about $350 or something like that. BUT
I save over 80 man hours (monthly)for the bookkeeper AND I get PAID when I'm supposed to AND people are much more likely to spend more on service as well as do more projects.

Don't look at the cost, look at the savings.

causalitist
03-27-2007, 01:55 AM
i just use paypal for now.. i send an email invoice and they pay it online.

no monthly fees and its below 3% .. 2.6% i think.

ya, its not automated as far as the customer is concerned, but we arent big enough to justify that yet.

i still think paypal is the best deal .. they have 3 packages.. one of which is an online terminal you can do automated billing with the #s on file.. and its wayyy cheaper than any other option i've ever seen.

Precision
03-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Don't let it.

my fees monthly are about $350 or something like that. BUT
I save over 80 man hours (monthly)for the bookkeeper AND I get PAID when I'm supposed to AND people are much more likely to spend more on service as well as do more projects.

Don't look at the cost, look at the savings.

fat finger typing ( or stupid) 80 man hours should have been 30.