PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Belt

DodgeRam1985
03-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Ok, so I've had this problem for a while. The belt only squeals when the a/c compressor is enganged (so when I'm running a/c or running the air to the dash vents). People have told me it's either oil on the that a/c compressor pully, or the belt is too loose and I need to replace the belt tensioner. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 that is the problem truck. The a/c compressor itself was replaced about 1.5 years ago when it siezed up. I recently replaced the belt and thats when it started to squeal (although it wasn't immediately afterwords, it was like a month or so before this started). My question is, if it is oil on the pully, what do you reccomend to remove the oil (i.e. using a solvent of some sort, just wiping it repeatedly, etc.), or if it is the loose belt, will someone please take a picture of the tensioner and have arrows pointing to exactly where the marks are that are supposed to show you when to replace it. I keep looking at the Haynes and the Chiltons manuals, but I can not see on the actual part what they are refering to as the wear indicator and stationary mark. Thanks!

richallseasons
03-26-2007, 04:12 PM
dont put oil on a belt,thats asking for failure and dont use belt dressing that stuff is crap. I dont think that you have a compressor issue either, its hard work for a serp belt to run all your options, and it sounds to me that if your truck has an automatic tensioner that it may have become relaxed and is not applying the correct pressure to the belt.If you decide to replace it also install a new belt as this one is certainly glazed.... or just turn up the radio..

DodgeRam1985
03-28-2007, 01:48 AM
anyone else have any ideas? I would like to avoid replacing the belt tensioner system if at all possible. Is there any way to simply clean that pully (should I just try to wipe it good with a clean rag, use some sort of degreaser and try wiping it, etc.). Does anyone have a good explanation of what the true markings are (so that I have a better idea of what to look for?). Thanks for any help!