PDA

View Full Version : Just Mowing?

weathervane
03-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I Was Wondering If Any One On This Site Does Just Mowing? If So Do You Turn A Good Profit?

RandyS
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
It's hard to do the just mowing thing. At least around here. Sooner or later a customer asks if you can do this or that and if you say no the next guy will say yes. And by the way, he also mows.

GreenN'Clean
03-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Theres way to much competition around here just to rely mainly on mowing.

Toy2
03-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Justmowit out of Dallas and now Austin is making a killing mowing, low prices, no BS. Check him out.

TheLawnBarber
03-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I started out just mowing in my rookie years. But after awhile I figured out that you can possibly make more money than mowing doing odd jobs for customers.

supercuts
03-26-2007, 07:30 PM
you can certainly make more doing work other than mowing. but average it all out i still think i make more per hour mowing. i do alot but wish i could just sit on a mower all day.

nitro121
03-26-2007, 08:29 PM
but this year I've added the "bush and flowerbed" services....and I'll bring the mulch (no takers yet). I don't make as much since I don't cut (unless I have to). But our season is only about 6 months and I look at it as a side business and pocket cash. I work full-time somewhere else. Last year was my first year hiring someone to cut yards for me....made some money. Based on last year I'm looking to make between 15-20 grand in profit (unless I try to pay off the miniZ in one season) this year.

Peace
Gary

scagwildcat
03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
you can certainly make more doing work other than mowing. but average it all out i still think i make more per hour mowing. i do alot but wish i could just sit on a mower all day.

i feel that same, but at the end of the day you really have to be able to provide your clients with all services, thats why i cant figure out how people get away with just mowing, what about cleanups, plowing were needed and mulch? i know that if i told any of my clients i cant do that or i dont have the tools for that, the next guy will be there the following week, not me!

mattfromNY
03-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Nitro, you make 15-20 grand Gross or Net? just mowing part time? Are you legit, or just 'doing it on the side'?????????????

nitro121
03-26-2007, 08:52 PM
last year I made right around 9 grand. I just mow...legit, pay taxes...signs on truck, t-shirts, separate phone line, webpage, just ordered gopher software and got quickbooks this year. But I mismanaged the whole thing..didn't have people in place and couldn't get to yards quick enough and stuff and lost a lot of accounts by hiring 2 lazy employees....nice but stressing learning experience.

I already have my full time guy waiting to start in the next week or so and have my part timer from last year ready to hit the weekends. So I'm farther ahead than where I started last year. I mean I could fall flat and just cut on the weekends again w/ a helper but it seems like I'll make what I would have made busting my butt on the weekends. And I pay my guy to cut my 3 acres for about 15 bucks..and I'm not out there for the hour and a half. :clapping:

Flex-Deck
03-27-2007, 12:39 AM
My wife and I are only in mowing - All my equipment is dedicated to being very efficient, and we make a very very high percentage of profit. Not only that, all our equipment is running all the time. I do not have to have two sets of equipment for 2 different types of jobs, and have one set always setting idle while doing the other job. I have two landscape companies that I refer people to for that stuff that needs a landscape type operation.

Our profit margin last year was 67%, and when we go full time in two years, I expect it to go to 75%

weathervane
03-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Wow Thanks For All The Help. My Company Is A Full Scale Lawn Company. But At The End Of The Day I Wonder If It Would Be Easyer To Just Mow And To Sub Out The Rest.