PDA

View Full Version : Faxing Proposel as to Meeting with customer

troblandscape
03-26-2007, 02:09 PM
It seems that when I go give estimates for commercial properties and I fax the proposel later, I always have questions about the proposel from the property manager. I have since started to try to meet with the manager to go over my proposel face to face, what are your experience with proposels for commercial properties? I feel it is alot easier for them to skip over my proposel in a pile of faxes rather than meeting face to face to discuss all details. Thanks

Roger
03-26-2007, 10:23 PM
With your spelling of "proposel," your document may well be overlooked, whether in person, or in a pile of faxes.

I know I will get flamed here, "... we are not in an English class," "... nobody really cares, they know what I mean," and all the other reasons that it does not matter. Obviously, you are seeking to distinguish yourself from other contractors. However, with such spelling mistakes, your documents already have told something about yourself.

I was involved with many business transactions for many, many years. I was on both ends, writing the proposals and reviewing proposals from others. When reviewing proposals, one quick way of starting the separation process is to look at the quality of the work presented. Maybe there were good ideas inside, but proposals that were poorly prepared were easily the first to be set aside.

I know, "... it doesn't matter" will appear in this thread shortly. Believe what you will, but I am suggesting that care in your work just doesn't have an on/off switch.

sildoc
03-26-2007, 10:37 PM
fax and meet. I usually land more if I meet with the manager or owner. However there is only so much time in the day.

troblandscape
03-27-2007, 08:15 AM
I agree correct spelling is very important, I always use the spell check feature when writing invoices and proposals. But hey...........ITS Lawnsite. Thanks for the tip.

troblandscape
03-27-2007, 08:19 AM
With your spelling of "proposel," your document may well be overlooked, whether in person, or in a pile of faxes.

I know I will get flamed here, "... we are not in an English class," "... nobody really cares, they know what I mean," and all the other reasons that it does not matter. Obviously, you are seeking to distinguish yourself from other contractors. However, with such spelling mistakes, your documents already have told something about yourself.

I was involved with many business transactions for many, many years. I was on both ends, writing the proposals and reviewing proposals from others. When reviewing proposals, one quick way of starting the separation process is to look at the quality of the work presented. Maybe there were good ideas inside, but proposals that were poorly prepared were easily the first to be set aside.

I know, "... it doesn't matter" will appear in this thread shortly. Believe what you will, but I am suggesting that care in your work just doesn't have an on/off switch.
Watch your run on sentences

GreenN'Clean
03-27-2007, 08:52 AM
I would prefer to meet with the potential customer in person to go over the estimate with them, it seems to work better because you can explain costs and what service your providing and have a better chance at landing the job. Although sometimes you don't have the time and have to fax it but if you can meet in person thats the way to go...

BCFLawnLandscape
03-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Don't forget that putting a name with a face and just a person's persona will sometime seal a deal. If you meet someone who is genuine, friendly and seems very intelligent, your likely to give him the job over someone who faxed in their proposal with a similar price. sometimes a personal meeting will set you aside from all others.

I heard someone say they fax and meet because there's only so much time in a day, well how will that look on you if you don't have time to sit down and talk to them, you surely don't have enough time to take care of thier property.

Just my thoughts!

Good Luck this season!

sildoc
03-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I heard someone say they fax and meet because there's only so much time in a day, well how will that look on you if you don't have time to sit down and talk to them, you surely don't have enough time to take care of thier property.

Just my thoughts!

Good Luck this season!

this is not true at all. Most managers and owners are so busy, as in spring we are busy. Trying to get a time when both the Landscape co and owner/manager can meet is quite hard.
I can't tell you the number of times I have had an appointment, show up and was stood up. However I know that I can sell my company bettter if I can meet with the prospective client. Now don't get me wrong I have sold many with a proposal left in the door, on a desk, and on the fax machine.

txgrassguy
03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
I first meet with the property managers then fax/email the estimate to them.
In my case I have a high degree of market branding in my A.O. so I am typically called instead of my cold calling first.
I also arrange to meet with the managers either in person or via telephone conference call to discuss any/all questions they have.

troblandscape
03-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I met with the customer today to go over the proposal on a 140 unit apartment complex and I got the job, from the way it went, it he didn't even get another bid.

Matt k
03-27-2007, 08:00 PM
I met with the customer today to go over the proposal on a 140 unit apartment complex and I got the job, from the way it went, it he didn't even get another bid.

Is that good or bad?