PDA

View Full Version : won used Echo PB651

SSS 18734
03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Hey everyone. I was outbid on this item a few days back. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330098553059&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:2

But the winner of the item failed to follow through with the purchase, so I am now the winner by default with a bid for $160. Shipping is $25. So $185 for a used Echo PB651. Should I buy it? The seller has about 99% positive feedback on over 6,000 similar items, and a few members of this forum seem to have had a good experience with the seller. And if it does turn out to be a lemon down the road, could I make most of my money back by selling it, considering these things cost about $500 new?

EDIT
I won't be using it for heavy commercial use. I will only be doing 15 lawns this season.

ed2hess
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
I would buy it .....but I know how to repair the units.

MSS Mow
03-26-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm always suspicious of these 2nd chance offers after the 1st buyer "backs out". It's a common way to bid up an item. The seller has a friend (or just another account) and bids the item up against a real buyer. If by chance the "friend" wins the item, they later decide not to purchase. Then, as long as the 2nd highest bidder was still at an acceptable sale amount, the sell will then offer the item to that person.

I guess what I'm saying, is be very cautious. With such good feedback, the seller is probably fine.

WJW Lawn
03-26-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm always suspicious of these 2nd chance offers after the 1st buyer "backs out". It's a common way to bid up an item. The seller has a friend (or just another account) and bids the item up against a real buyer. If by chance the "friend" wins the item, they later decide not to purchase. Then, as long as the 2nd highest bidder was still at an acceptable sale amount, the sell will then offer the item to that person.

I guess what I'm saying, is be very cautious. With such good feedback, the seller is probably fine.

I believe what you are saying happens alot...but Ive seen that guy sell alot of stuff on ebay...I think it's a shop...so I would go ahead and do the deal.

4curbappeal
03-26-2007, 06:17 PM

I agree 100% That is one of oldest ebay tricks in the world. However, it seems like a pretty good deal. I have an Echo PB-620 that I got on ebay last year. I think I paid around $300 for it and it was almost brand new! I say go for it!!!!

Jason Rose
03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I have an Echo 603 and really like it. Only blower I bet you can find that will start in ONE PULL even after it's been sitting in the cold for a couple weeks! Always reliable, gotta love those Echos from a few years ago... The new ones made now are total crap though...

Lynden-Jeff
03-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I have an Echo 603 and really like it. Only blower I bet you can find that will start in ONE PULL even after it's been sitting in the cold for a couple weeks! Always reliable, gotta love those Echos from a few years ago... The new ones made now are total crap though...

I disagree my 1 year old will start in 2 pulls from a cold start and 1 all day after that.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-26-2007, 08:28 PM
I bought a echo trimmer from him and it worked fine.

brucec32
03-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I think even Ebay says to watch out for 2nd chance offers because of fraud.

In this case you're paying maybe 40% of the cost of a new unit. My pb 650 ran like a top till the day it stopped suddenly at around 5 years old. So you could be buying a creampuff or a blower about to die. You'll need to know how to make the repair yourself to make it pay. I decided to just use mine for spare parts for my other blowers rather than dump another $100 into it.

MSS Mow
03-26-2007, 09:02 PM
I believe what you are saying happens alot...but Ive seen that guy sell alot of stuff on ebay...I think it's a shop...so I would go ahead and do the deal.

Reputation is definately key here. It appears, according to others comments here as well as good feedback ratings on ebay, it's probably legit. It's just good to be cautious.

howardsells2000
03-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Stay away from second chance offers. The person selling the item on ebay may have good feedback but you are probably not dealing with him. There are a lot of scams. I know a guy that was scamed for $1400.00. He got an email for a second chance offer and it appeared to be legit. He sent his money and never got his item. I saw the email, it looked like ebay but it wasn't.

Runner
03-27-2007, 01:04 AM
So how would he check,....close it all out, go directly onto Ebay and check? Or would it be listed there too as a scam? I'm very unfamiliar with ebay, but woud love to know. I have heard about many scams like this, though. ...things like inside bidding - last minute bids BY the owner (or associated).

justanotherlawnguy
03-27-2007, 02:12 AM
You people and the 2nd chance offer scare are ******ed. The higher bid was $2.50 more then his bid, I would hardly call that a scam. I sell alot of stuff on ebay and there are many, many, many times the highest bidder does not pay, and 2nd chance offers are completely legit.

You just have to use common sense in these situations. Its not like he bid on an xbox 360 or PS3 and the next highest bid was $200 dollars higher.

proenterprises
03-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I would go ahead with the deal. I have personally bought from jewels and tools awhile back, I think it was an echo trimmer. Anyway, the transaction was smooth and everything was fine. Go for it, hes legit.

SSS 18734
03-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I figure even if it does burn out on me in a month, $100 bucks or so worth of parts and some repair will still make it a worthwhile purchase... It would still be better than my original plan to buy a Redmax4401 for $300. Besides, I won't be using it for heavy commercial use or even leaf cleanups.

AbsoluteH&L
03-27-2007, 03:53 PM
You people and the 2nd chance offer scare are ******ed. The higher bid was $2.50 more then his bid, I would hardly call that a scam. I sell alot of stuff on ebay and there are many, many, many times the highest bidder does not pay, and 2nd chance offers are completely legit.

You just have to use common sense in these situations. Its not like he bid on an xbox 360 or PS3 and the next highest bid was $200 dollars higher.

I have to agree I would go for it. He only has to pay HIS high bid not the other bidders highest bid. That's why it's always better to go through Ebay.Tell the seller yes but only if you can still checkout trough Ebay. Looks like a deal, I need to back and see what other deals he has, I could use a new blower!