PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires

NewHorizon's Land
03-26-2007, 04:50 PM
How long do a set of trailer tires last? I dont even put 10,000 miles on them before I have to change them.

Justin

Jason Rose
03-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Tandem axle or single? I assume tandem, they burn tires off like no tomorrow! It seems that all I get done is buying tires or fixing leaks in mine... Last summer I thought I would be "smart" and get 2 cheapo, but new, P rated tires. I think I spend almost $100 for the 2, and they are almost as bald as the ones in front of them! WHat a waste that was!

A couple weeks ago I cought a storm drain and blew a hole in one on the old one's sidewall. I broke down this time and bought a for real trailer rated tire. I'm going to see how that one wears for me before I invest in a whole set... I think it will do better, a lot stiffer rubber and a LOT more tread. I have a bad problem with picking up nails once I get short on tread...

Ive never tracked how many miles I got on a set, It's not much though... 6K, maybe 8K.

NewHorizon's Land
03-26-2007, 08:50 PM
I just figured 10k because thats how many miles I put on the work truck this past year. I had one good tire. It was a TITAN and it has lasted for 2 years going on 3. But they were bought out by Carlise(sp) and I have Carlise(sp) now. I think the reason TITAN went out of business was cuz they never had a tire wear. LOL. I buy the trailer rated tires but at almost $85 a pop I might try a different tire maybe even a car tire.

Jason Rose
03-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Just like I said above, stick with the trailer rated tires, you will spend less in the long run! I don't think Titian is out of bus. The one I just bought is a Titian.

I had 2 Titians on a single axle trailer that I bought brand new about 3 years ago. Last year both of them went bad, rubber inside them had rotted and then gave way, they ended up being egg shaped! Certianly didn't ride well, shook the whole truck. I took them to the tire place to get new ones and they looked at me funny when I said they were new just 3 years ago. The date code on the tires was about 11 years old! Evidently the trailer builder got a "deal" on these tires, discontinued size, and just stored them for years and years until they finally used them all up. Too bad for people like me though that had to replace them after only 1,000 miles or so. These were also Titians.

MOWALLTHETIME
04-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I pull a 16 ft open and a enclosed trailer with two walkbehinds, zero-turn and all of the extras. I replaced the tires with 6-ply trailer tires and I have not had a problem yet. some manufacturers/people say they are overkill but both have about ten thousand miles on them and no problems. They are Milestar brand, the dealer told me the key to trailer tires is to always make sure they are properly inflated. I run 65psi in mine per the manufacturer reccomendations and they pull great and smooth ride. low tire pressure causes the tire to deform internally and therefore wear out quickly. I spent about 90$ each for the tires, but 360$ is far cheaper than filing and insurance claim due to an accident or having to deal with flats or blow outs.

DJ Contracting
04-05-2007, 04:39 PM
I just fixed one of my rear tires and rotated the tires to get more miles out of them, this is my third season on the tires and I'd say I have between 7k and 10k them. The rear tires wear alot faster due to dragging when turning.

gobblet
04-06-2007, 09:27 PM
One year, I put them in my budget with my truck tires, get replaced once a year. Miles dont seem to matter.

cutbetterthanyou
04-07-2007, 11:42 PM
you may want to crawl under it and mesure some things up. my 20 ft pace enclosed was burning them up to. i got the shop to take a look and the axle was off . not bent but the bracket where the axle bolts up to the frame was drilled exactly 1 inch off. they just redrilled it no problems since.NEW HERIZON i found that you can go to J&S in sharptown and buy the rims and tires cheaper than the tires buy themselfs you may want to check it out.then you also have 4 spares and never rusty wheels.

NewHorizon's Land
04-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks Brad. I will check into it.

Midwest Lawn Services
04-08-2007, 01:51 AM
We have 2 16' single axel with radials on both and i would say you can easily go 10,000 miles before even thinking about replacements. Both trailers haul Grasshopper front mount ZTR's and Deere X485's.

sildoc
04-08-2007, 02:31 AM
trailer tires suck. I would say 10000 miles max and you are looking to rotate to a spare. They never wear even.

Triple L
04-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Try some trailmasters. I just put some on... Been runnin Goodyear for the past 3 yrs. and they are exactly what thier name says "good for one year"... I put 10000 KM and they are completely toast. But they wore completely even.

Snyderserv5060
04-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Sadly I seem to go through them fast enough that I keep a few in the shed. Between the rears wearing out soo much faster then the fronts and how they always seems to attract nails.
I mean just the other day I was filling mine up to spec (pressure) and I noticed a new gash in the tread of one of my rears...somehow its holding but I will put a new one on there this week.