PDA

View Full Version : Decide between these two mowers?

EagleLandscape
03-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I've got the chance to buy some new equipment and I'm stuck between two mowers. Can yall look at these pics and tell me the specs on them, both are relatively new.

First onehas 10 hours on it, and the guy wants $2400. How old is it?

Second is $2300 and has a couple hundred hours (if that on it). It looks like it has a different floating deck system over the first one, can anyone give me the details on em? Which one should I get? Thanks!

Mowman16
03-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I wold go with the second one, it has a kawasaki over B+S it also looks better. Is that a turbo force deck on it too? HANDS DOWN.

mhussey
03-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I wold go with the second one, it has a kawasaki over B+S it also looks better. Is that a turbo force deck on it too? HANDS DOWN.

Neither has a Turbo Force deck! They are both SFS decks. Those deck are not that great in some peoples eyes. I for one have no clue. I can only speak for the Turbo Force deck that I believe to be one of the best cutting platforms on the market.

mcwlandscaping
03-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Second one for the motor and it looks a lot cleaner. You'll like the kawi much better!

lifetree
03-26-2007, 10:52 PM

I agree with Mowman ... take the one with the Kawasaki engine, it'll last longer.

EagleLandscape
03-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok cool, the guy that is selling the second one says he used it 10x to mow his yard and thats it. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I'd rather have a 44ztr, but I guess I'll take what I can get. 2300 is a good price? think I should try and get him to go lower? what kind of engine does the first mower have?

Envy Lawn Service
03-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, I'm going to say this much...

The first one... the one with the briggs engine... that one would scare me.

That is the old "classic" floater.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that even though they built some classics after the change-over, most of them were 15 Kohler 44" T-Bar Hydros. So going out on a limb I'd say that one is SEVERAL years old, even putting the engine aside.

It LOOKS like a 10 hour machine to me too... and considering there are other Toro belt drives sitting around it there... I gotta think there is a reason a machine that old only has 10 hours on it.

Some Toro nut will happen along and tell you which frame setup is better.

But I'd probably go with the second one.

EagleLandscape
03-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Turns out the second one comes with sulky and mulching kit which is still new in box. Got the guy down to 2200 I think, should pick it up this weekend! ive been using 21" mowers for 4 years, I'm excited!

Envy Lawn Service
03-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Turns out the second one comes with sulky and mulching kit which is still new in box. Got the guy down to 2200 I think, should pick it up this weekend! ive been using 21" mowers for 4 years, I'm excited!

Yeah... I'd snatch that!

What a step from a 21"!!!

LCPullman
03-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Get the second one!

The decks are about the same design, but the second one has an extra plate on the discharge side, gives the discharge opening more strength and provides an easy bagger mount.
The floating design on the second one (vertical pins) is alot easier to change. Also, the second one has handles welded onto the deck, this saves you the trouble of putting your hand under the deck when you change height.
The deck drive belt on the second one is self-tensioning, which is better.
I'm pretty sure the second one has both bigger drive wheels (16" vs. 13") and bigger castor wheels (9" vs 8") Bigger wheels means better flotation.
The second one has a better engine, Kawasaki V-Twin. (first one is a Briggs Vanguard, I avoid Briggs in general)
Based on my experience, the carrier frame on the second one is stronger.
The discharge chute on the second one will flip all the way over (good for getting through narrow spots and if you ever want to bag)
The classics were good mowers, but I'd take the newer SFS one any day.

Another little hint, on the second one, you could switch to a rubber discharge chute.

Richard Martin
03-27-2007, 04:32 AM
The first one has a Briggs engine and a flat tire. I'd buy the second one just for the Kawi engine.

thesargent
03-27-2007, 11:58 AM
you wont believe the difference in your production. i just stepped up to a 36 inch after only using 21's, huge difference. good purchase.