PDA

View Full Version : Dumped the Dixie!!!

chipk1
03-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Got rid of the @#$% Dixie today. Traded in for new Exmark HP 52" (Ultra Cut )with the new KAI 27hp. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow morning. Having OCDC installed by dealer. Dixie broke twice today and just couldn't take it any more! I just hope the new KAI engine turns out to be a winner. Down with Dixie baby. Worst purchase I've made since I started in this business 5 years ago.

TriCountyLawn
03-26-2007, 10:46 PM
How many hours and what problems did ya have with your DC ?

Frosty03
03-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Got rid of the @#$% Dixie today. Traded in for new Exmark HP 52" (Ultra Cut )with the new KAI 27hp. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow morning. Having OCDC installed by dealer. Dixie broke twice today and just couldn't take it any more! I just hope the new KAI engine turns out to be a winner. Down with Dixie baby. Worst purchase I've made since I started in this business 5 years ago.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The Laser Z HP only comes with the Triton deck and now in 50". The older 2005 models were the Trivantage deck and in 52" width. The 27 HP engine is KOHLER.

The only model now with the Ultracut is the Laser Z AS, which is a full-size rider. Not a bad choice, but not my first choice for residentials. It is heavier than the Laser Z HP.

You may want to double-check what you are getting and IMHO, I would hands-down go with the Kawasaki engine. The 23 HP is plenty of horses for the 50" deck.

If you want/ordered Kawasaki, be sure the dealer is not trying to slip you a Kohler instead. You probably have too many figures in your head from comparing the different models.

Post again when you are certain which one you bought and how you like it.

Remember...Kaw = Kawasaki. Koh = Kohler.

Congrats.

Mowman16
03-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Good choice, I love my HP. My kawasaki 23 horse has given almost 1000k trouble-free hours. Exmark is the best :weightlifter: .

Cutter1
03-26-2007, 10:52 PM
be patient, the 23 Kaw is 1500 hour engine...had three blow the engine at around 1500 hours. Still buy another one though, sick power compared to the kohler

Mowman16
03-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Thaks for the info, mower has somwhere around 2000k hours so now that it's a second mower it should be good for a few more years.

chipk1
03-26-2007, 11:14 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

The Laser Z HP only comes with the Triton deck and now in 50". The older 2005 models were the Trivantage deck and in 52" width. The 27 HP engine is KOHLER.

The only model now with the Ultracut is the Laser Z AS, which is a full-size rider. Not a bad choice, but not my first choice for residentials. It is heavier than the Laser Z HP.

You may want to double-check what you are getting and IMHO, I would hands-down go with the Kawasaki engine. The 23 HP is plenty of horses for the 50" deck.

If you want/ordered Kawasaki, be sure the dealer is not trying to slip you a Kohler instead. You probably have too many figures in your head from comparing the different models.

Post again when you are certain which one you bought and how you like it.

Remember...Kaw = Kawasaki. Koh = Kohler.

Congrats.

I will post again tomorrow but I am certain it is the new Kawaski V twin Horizontal shaft motor. As far as the deck, dealer was shocked that it had the Ultra Cut Deck on it. He said that it is better than the new Triton deck in his opinion. I also said that this is the first Exmark that he has gotten with that engine. Wasn't even in the books yet. He had to call Exmark for pricing.

chipk1
03-26-2007, 11:42 PM
How many hours and what problems did ya have with your DC ?

Read this thread and add warped valve cover and another deck belt today.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=180328

chipk1
03-27-2007, 12:00 AM
I will post again tomorrow but I am certain it is the new Kawaski V twin Horizontal shaft motor. As far as the deck, dealer was shocked that it had the Ultra Cut Deck on it. He said that it is better than the new Triton deck in his opinion. I also said that this is the first Exmark that he has gotten with that engine. Wasn't even in the books yet. He had to call Exmark for pricing.

Stand corrected it is the Lazer AS Model not the HP but it is a 28 KAI engine

traman
03-27-2007, 12:50 AM
one more thing if you can, get the bigger tires on it 24x12x12 i think the 52in deck only come with the 23x9.50x12 the bigger tires work so much better in our rainy season i have them on my 52 hp

Frosty03
03-27-2007, 08:49 AM
one more thing if you can, get the bigger tires on it 24x12x12 i think the 52in deck only come with the 23x9.50x12 the bigger tires work so much better in our rainy season i have them on my 52 hp

Yeah, what he said, get the bigger tires. It has smaller tires than the more compact HP model. The bigger tires are easier on the turf.

What the dealer said about the Triton deck in Florida is bunk. On northen grasses, maybe, but Exmark has addressed those issues. However, the ultracut deck is a good one, I just think the Triton deck works a bit better in the south.

DixieFerris
03-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Chip good luck with your new mower. All makes and models have lemons, you should know that. Be careful of your slanderous tone

ProStreetCamaro
03-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I have looked at Dixies countless times and the mowers all looked cheap to me. The deck isnt deep and appears to be a poor design. The way the deck is suspended looks horrific. The drive tires are terrible on the turf (unless they got away from those paddle type tires?). I watched a guy pull up next to a property we were doing. Both lawns were about equal and both were soaking wet. He was going very slow and blowing chunks all over the place and it had 2 strips on every pass that wasnt even cut. I was on our Tank M48 and had no problems what so ever. After watching him in those conditions that made my mind up 100% to never own one unless they do a complete redesign of the entire mower.

chipk1
03-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Chip good luck with your new mower. All makes and models have lemons, you should know that. Be careful of your slanderous tone

???? Slanderous ????

I am just relaying my personal experience. I know not all Dixie's are bad. But apparently there are some because my particular unit was bad from the beginning and other people have had some reservations also. It's all about personal perception. If someone was to give me a free Dixie, I would use it. I will not pay for one again because of my personal bad experience. I wish Dixie much success. I talked to them by phone and told them my problem was not so much with the mower itself, but with the Kohler garbage it came with. Perception is everything when experiencing a 7500.00 mistake. Do I buy another and hope it don't happen again? Do I sit by silently and allow others to make the same mistake. I wish I had known about the Kohler 25 before I bought because I would have chosen a different engine and all this would probably have never happen. I would probably be a content Dixie Guy. But because of my experience, I can not put my trust in Dixie again. I should not have had to pay for a blown head gasket job and then 1 week later have to pay another 500.00 for a shortblock and head replacement! Especially, when it is admitted to me by Kohler on the phone that the Camshaft wore prematurely due to Over hardened lifters burning up the cam and only being 4 months out of warranty. I experience the mower as a unit being I purchased it as a unit. Everything mechanical has a weakest link and I believe Kohler is Dixie's weakest link. I will also say that Dixie has never been rude too me and seemed to be sympathetic to my problem, but they fell short of making it right with me.

Frosty03
03-28-2007, 06:19 AM
You Go Chip !! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I fail to see anything slanderous in your posts, they were factual and related your personal experience with that unit.

If Dixie/Kohler knew about design flaws and related that to you, then failed to make it right with you, then shame on them and they deserve any and all bad publicity they get on their mower/engine.

I have only seen one Dixie around here mowing...only one and I don't think that guy is still using it anymore.

Hope you like your Exmark.

Envy Lawn Service
03-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Stand corrected it is the Lazer AS Model not the HP but it is a 28 KAI engine

Great choice!

That's the best unit eXmark has out at this time in my opinion.

I'm a 60" man myself though.

Jeff Voorhies
03-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Sorry you are having trouble with your Dixie. My brother has one that only has 55 hours on it and is for residential use only and has been to the shop four times for various problems with springs, pulleys etc. He said if it goes to the shop one more time, he thinks Dixie will replace it. Hope he is right. I have a new Lazer HP 46" with the Kaw. engine with only about 10 hours on it. It is only for my acreage but so far I am enjoying it. Good Luck

chipk1
03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Day and night guys. The deck on this unit is NICE. It absolutely demolishes the clippings. There is virtually no clippings to blow of street or sidewalk. I am used to having these area covered with clippings. It really chops up the clippings and makes them disappear. Every time I thought it couldn't get better it surpassed itself today. GREAT MACHINE EXMARK! Keep up the good work. I haven't been this excited about a new product in a looong time. If you are think about a new mower, demo one of these before you buy anything.

ProStreetCamaro
03-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Day and night guys. The deck on this unit is NICE. It absolutely demolishes the clippings. There is virtually no clippings to blow of street or sidewalk. I am used to having these area covered with clippings. It really chops up the clippings and makes them disappear. Every time I thought it couldn't get better it surpassed itself today. GREAT MACHINE EXMARK! Keep up the good work. I haven't been this excited about a new product in a looong time. If you are think about a new mower, demo one of these before you buy anything.

Thats awsome I am glad you are enjoying your new mower!