PDA

View Full Version : Spring tip for Ztwo/TANK owners

Envy Lawn Service
03-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Until this year I hadn't used one to do spring cleanups/scalping.

But I decided this year I would in order to speed things up some.

Anyways, I was doing a job and learned a lesson the hard way. So I thought I would share with others so they might avoid this...

What I learned is that when cutting off dormant grass tight with these things, you CANNOT pass over the same area more than twice or so, or go too slow... or fiddle around trying to windrow clippings around something, etc...

These things have so much lift they will literally suck everything up to where you can see bare dirt... even with gator blades on.

So don't fiddle around in one place long, let your ground speed get too slow, or pass over the same place too many times.

GreenN'Clean
03-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the advice!!!!

Picture Perfect Landscape
03-28-2007, 12:10 AM
are you using an external vacuum as well?

pclawncare
03-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Envy i alwase wondered how you guys that use mid mounts and such that dont bag your grass during the season scalp your yard? I have a grasshopper mid mount and the dam thing wont go low enough to even come close to scalping anything. I wish i could use it thought the walkers are slow but they get the job done

Envy Lawn Service
04-12-2007, 12:02 AM
are you using an external vacuum as well?

Nope... just straight side discharge.

Envy Lawn Service
04-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Envy i alwase wondered how you guys that use mid mounts and such that dont bag your grass during the season scalp your yard? I have a grasshopper mid mount and the dam thing wont go low enough to even come close to scalping anything. I wish i could use it thought the walkers are slow but they get the job done

I think the word "scalp" means different things to different people, even when it comes to spring scalping... lol...

I think there is a difference involved here. Some of you guys that cut only the hybrid warm season stuff that's cared for 100%, irrigated, etc...

Well you guys would cut short enough all season that I'd consider you a scalper... lol...

Here, I deal with the ugly cousins of such fine sod. Crap like common bermuda, nice zoysia, etc... non-irrigated, enough care to get by, etc... so our cutting heights creep like the grass... up-up-up as the season progresses. Some as tall as I can go for drought tolerance and keeping it green... as high as 5" sometimes.

With that said... 1"-2" qualifies as 'scalping cuts' in the spring.

You can just imagine the amount of stuff I get out of a lawn can't you?... LOL.

I don't bother to bag those I do because not all of mine are warm season and I'd fill a hopper/bagger in nothing flat. Instead I just discharge it to a hard surface or specific area... WHICH IS NOT AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS.

You have to use your noggin and plan a good pattern to get it done efficiently, or better yet, get it done period. It can turn from a windrow to a big pile in grass that needs cutting in a hurry.

pclawncare
04-12-2007, 12:37 AM
How to you pic that grass up then? rake and a tarp. I will say that the tallest most of my yards get around around 3 in some that are watered alot a keep them about 2 1/2 during mid summer so ya they are pretty short and dont take too long to scalp

Envy Lawn Service
04-12-2007, 01:06 AM
How to you pic that grass up then? rake and a tarp. I will say that the tallest most of my yards get around around 3 in some that are watered alot a keep them about 2 1/2 during mid summer so ya they are pretty short and dont take too long to scalp

By whatever means I can from site to site.

If I can put down tarps before I start, I do.
Tarp down, 2x4 or something along the lawn-side edge weighted down.
Throw a lot of it right on the tarps that way.

Other ones, I may have to resort to blowers, rakes & forks... etc.

Some of them that I can, I try to work them down in the fall mulching or whatever... so there is not so much to take off in the spring.