PDA

View Full Version : Alternative forms of advertising

Matt0963
03-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Anyone have any creative ideas they might want to share on different ways to advertise besides the typical door hanger, fliers, mailers etc.?

jeffex
03-27-2007, 06:11 AM
electioneering!! NOW is a good time to start as the season begins. The best way to do it is build a simple web site if you don't have one already. Stand out at busy intersections that targets comuters in a area you want business. Am and Pm drive times are the best. GO to kinkos and have a big sign with your business name & number and www.your website.com printed on it and wave. Be there on a regular basis for several days and see what you generate. It helps put the thought of their lawn in their minds before the season actually begins. Many will check out your website as soon as they get to work. If they forget the domain name you will be there the next day and they will remember to keep a pen handy. Standing and waving takes more baJJs than you think but it generates more sales than walking around handing out 1,000s of flyers to get 2-3 sales. Oh yeah, dress like a pro landscaper not a redneck. No offence to rednecks I'm one myself !!

Matt0963
03-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Thats pretty good I have to admit. It does take balls go out and wave all day though.

jeffex
03-28-2007, 05:56 AM
here it is !! they moved the thread! NOT all day, just an hour orso in the morning and evening. Catch the commute times in your area. Just hold up the sign and wave as if your running for GOvoner!! Keep business cards handy . I looked into buying a 1-800-got junk franchise[Maryland sold out} and that was one of thier #1 marketing methods. I you can't handle it you may be able to find a person to stand out there for you for $$ but the most effective method is for them to picture themselves dealing with YOU!!!!!

topsites
03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
A web site I think is useful but it's a funny thing, it's like all of the work is right at the beginning (and it is a LOT of work) then the upkeep and maintenance afterwards is minimal, it takes on average 2-4 years to get one going right, that's working on it when you get a chance but with some heavy-duty 2-4 week 8-12 and 16 hour day spurts thrown in between. Then you still have to get it listed, that's not cheap and anymore there's a TON of competition for traffic (not so much Lco's but just in general), makes it hard to justify the initial load on labor and the neverending costs (even if only $30 - $40 / month worked out to averages, this also comes in spurts and financial load is at times heavy {up to several hundred at a time, sometimes in succession}).

Yeah, but it never hurts, it sure don't.

willretire@40
03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
I was reading online that a wrapped car or truck is better then a half page ad in the phone book. It cost some money at first but will pay off. Then drive it around town during the busy times.

I am getting my truck wrapped. It will only be the cab but i have a landscape body on the back. Then as the business grows I will most likely buy a scion xb and get it fully wrapped and drive it around town all the time when i am not driving the truck. So when I go to the mall or store I will park it way out there where no one wants to park so that everyone can see it. Then i will also drive it to games concerts, and shows and get there early so i can get a front parking spot.

jeffex
03-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I built my website for FREE on lycos.com using thier basic editor and went to godaddy.com and paid $10 for a domain name. You could have a basic website up it 1 hour! its for my deck business www.deckdoctorpressurewashing.com

causalitist
03-29-2007, 05:16 AM
I built my website for FREE on lycos.com using thier basic editor and went to godaddy.com and paid $10 for a domain name. You could have a basic website up it 1 hour! its for my deck business www.deckdoctorpressurewashing.com

wow.. i just did that.. was easy .. i made it on lycos, but how do i reassign it the new url from godaddy?

ever think of google advertising? ... you can have it so your ad comes up only when people in your city are searching for certain words like lawn care etc.. and you only pay if someone clicks on your ad.

seems pretty friggen reasonable to me! its like $0.05 per click.

jeffex
03-29-2007, 05:48 AM
its been awhile but I think there is a place on godaddy to re assign the url. I didn't feel like building a new site on their editor so I just re assigned the url on the editor. The down side is when you type in my domain name it shows up as the longer url but it still works

Matt0963
03-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I read on here that someone was throwing easter eggs out on peoples lawn with an advertisement in them. I thought it was a pretty good idea and you can cover alot of houses like that