PDA

View Full Version : does round up help before putting mulch

guven
03-27-2007, 04:05 AM
Today I did an estimate

the home owner wants to put down round up( I think it is weed killer) he said its going to help alot , we do not need put 3''mulch.I said ok. is anyone doing like this .
thanks

ATVracer
03-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Roundup will only kill weeds/grass that have already sprouted, it has no residual or pre-emergemce effect. Also if you don't know what round-up is you cannot legally apply it to anything. Have the guy buy some professional Preen or something of that nature and he must put it down himself.

VO Landscape Design
03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Roundup kills weeds, grass already up. It dissipates when it hits the ground. The soil is negatively charged and the roundup is positively charged so when they come in contact they neutralize themselves. Least thats what my turf teacher said.
VO

bahamamills
03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I am yes a newbie so don't beat me up I am just asking out of curiosity because I have read in multiple threads the comments regarding fertilizer, pre-emergents and the such. I keep seeing that it is illegal to put this out without licenses in certain area. My question is, does Lowes and Homedepot and others stores not sell this with spreaders and all to regular customers. If so how does the state enforce someone buying 10-10-10 and putting it on their lawn.

I am really not trying to stir the pot just curious.

MowerMedic77
03-27-2007, 05:11 PM
The laws apply to commercial application(and applicators)

bahamamills
03-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Ah now that does make sense..

Duekster
03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
I am yes a newbie so don't beat me up I am just asking out of curiosity because I have read in multiple threads the comments regarding fertilizer, pre-emergents and the such. I keep seeing that it is illegal to put this out without licenses in certain area. My question is, does Lowes and Homedepot and others stores not sell this with spreaders and all to regular customers. If so how does the state enforce someone buying 10-10-10 and putting it on their lawn.

I am really not trying to stir the pot just curious.

You can not apply any pest control product including weed killers for profit on another persons property. Some States regulate even fertilizers. Fertilizer is in many cases as bad or worse for the lakes and streams than are the weed killers.

Welcome to the industry. You may buddy up with an applicators and give referals.

ACutAboveNC
03-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Duekster is right. It is illegal to put down chemicals for profit. The law in NC says however that you are aloud to put out ferts, only if the fert is not a combo product like Pre-m.

bigtex
03-30-2007, 09:30 PM
The Best Way To Eliminate Weeds Under Mulch Is A Weed Mat/blocker, For Long Term Affects. I've Seen Weed Mat Last 3 Or 4 Years. Roundup Under Mulch Will Be Good For A Few Months(maybe) But They'll Come Back. Sounds Like The Customer Thinks He Can Save $ By Not Going 3". But U Should Tell Him If You Do It His Way With Roundup An Less Than 3" Mulch There's A Good Chance You'll See Weeds In A Few Months. That Way Your Not Gonna Get A Phone Call With Him Bitchin In August.

mslawn
03-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Roundup Under Mulch Will Be Good For A Few Months(maybe) But They'll Come Back.

What? When did roundup become a pre-m? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

EgansCountryGardens
04-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Roundup will not work at all under mulch not even for a few months, days, or minutes. The only way that Roundup works is if it comes into direct contact with the green of the plant itself. So you could actually pour roundup directly onto the whole bed, and still have weeds growing within a week. You need to use Preen. Then mulch heavily anyway. Good luck.

mselainius
05-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Try to avoid putting roundup in mulch beds because you can easily damage the ornamentals growing in there.

unit28
05-05-2007, 09:41 AM
round up with new pre emergent formula is what you need.
on your own lawn of course.
and read the friggen label!
http://www.roundup.com/index.cfm/event/media.detail/documentId/7b8b7792bcfdf25e61e1eb72b324d122
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.scotts.com/media/media/images/productGuide/2006/brand/roundup/featured/2RUPExConWeedGrassPlusPNS3m.jpg

http://www.roundup.com/index.cfm/event/showDocument/documentId/3E2080B9A5048904B3CEC27F489BCD32

Dual-action formula kills existing weeds and keeps new ones from growing for up to 4 months.

Coffeecraver
05-05-2007, 11:16 PM
The commercial grade of Preen

http://www.dowagro.com/turf/prod/snapshot.htm

cebe800
05-06-2007, 12:06 AM
We use snap shot as are pre m. By far the best pre m on the market just a little pricey. Round up to kill whats up and snap shot to kill what wants to come up. That has been are formula for mulch beds.

lawnspecialties
05-06-2007, 12:23 AM
If weeds are that big a problem in this bed, why not put down landscape fabric before the mulch application? :confused:

unit28
05-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I like getting all the junk out and then add pre-m ○
and then mulch.

Then apply pre-m seasonally.

If they get a jump on me then I spray image over the top.
Image 70DG kills cool weather grasses, so be careful.

I use fusiladeII for warm weather areas like in southern states,
that kills bermuda etc. in beds.

There was an over the top spray I used years ago for broadleaf but I forgot the name. Started with a B...