PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go Again...

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 09:52 AM
New school that has only been open a couple of years. Another leak under concrete making four total main line leaks at this site so far. Can't wait to start tearing it up. :)

Mike Leary
03-27-2007, 11:37 AM
And the season begins....ka-ching ka-ching!

Mjtrole
03-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Why no sleeving????

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 10:36 PM
You'd have to ask someone higher up the food chain than I. I have no input on anything until a new construction site is off warranty and turned over to us. Then I go in and start correcting problems. :dizzy:

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
And the season begins....ka-ching ka-ching!

My season never ends. And there's no ka-ching involved since we do all repairs in-house. Only good thing is that I get to spend a LOT of taxpayer dollars. :)

gusbuster
03-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Be glad you don't have to deal with this though pretty easy to diagnose.

In certain parts where I have most of my commercial account in San Mateo County, because it is right at the seam, I would first have to shut down irrigation mains before making a determination that it is an irrigation leak.
Why?

Many of the places that the commercial accounts are located is man made fill, or just flood plains. Artesian springs are notorious for springing up in this area. (ever fly into SFO, pay attention to surrounding areas of taxi and run ways)

Between all the ground movement(earthquakes), the water aquifer being charged up from a ton of rain the last 3 years, capped and uncapped natural springs pop up. I-80 in Fairfield, 92 and I-280 and I-880 and hwy 237 have been sinking from springs that keep on popping up.

gusbuster
03-27-2007, 10:49 PM
My season never ends. And there's no ka-ching involved since we do all repairs in-house. Only good thing is that I get to spend a LOT of taxpayer dollars. :)

Don't you mean that you like to spend your own money :).....I mean, they do deduct taxes from you.

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 10:54 PM
I had to go to Burlingame last Wednesday for a doctor's appointment and stayed right by the San Francisco Airport. Amazed me how much insulation those hotels have to block out even the largest jets' noise considering we were so close. Tuesday evening was windy and nasty but Wednesday morning was just gorgeous. Here's a couple of pics from our balcony.

londonrain
03-27-2007, 11:01 PM
I maintain a multi-tenant site that has a leak under a H.H.Gregg parking lot on a lateral that we will be fixing in about a week. New saw for the job.....

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 11:11 PM
We just let our "skilled trades" maintenance guys do the cutting with their wheeled saw. Then we go in with the Bobcat. :)

londonrain
03-27-2007, 11:25 PM
We just let our "skilled trades" maintenance guys do the cutting with their wheeled saw. Then we go in with the Bobcat. :)Lucky guy, I do it all....

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Lucky guy, I do it all....

They don't consider me to be "skilled trades" so some things are sluffed off on the maintenance pros. :laugh:

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Don't you mean that you like to spend your own money :).....I mean, they do deduct taxes from you.

I save that one for when smart azzes say, "I pay your wages." My answer is "I pay my own wages through my own taxes. I needlessly spend your taxes." :)

gusbuster
03-28-2007, 08:52 AM
I had to go to Burlingame last Wednesday for a doctor's appointment and stayed right by the San Francisco Airport. Amazed me how much insulation those hotels have to block out even the largest jets' noise considering we were so close. Tuesday evening was windy and nasty but Wednesday morning was just gorgeous. Here's a couple of pics from our balcony.

From those pics I would of said you stayed either at the Marriott, Westin, vagabond or the new place that I don't know the name to.

This is the area I grew up in. Millbrae is the next city north. I also do most of my maintenance clients just a little north. Only moved to Manteca so we could afford to have my wife raise the kids.

Just be happy no serious earthquakes happened let's just say.

PurpHaze
03-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Spot on! We stayed at the Vagabond this time, Marriott last time. We had other obligations that afternoon so didn't get in until around 10:00 pm (no sense getting an expensive place since we basically were just sleeping) but it worked out great as we didn't hit any traffic. My doctor is in the area of Millbrae Blvd. and Rollins Rd. so we went up that way. Thought about taking some pics of the big United planes with that new color scheme right along Bayshore at the corner of the airport but was afraid Homeland Security might think I was a terrorist casing the place out. :)

gusbuster
03-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Spot on! We stayed at the Vagabond this time, Marriott last time. We had other obligations that afternoon so didn't get in until around 10:00 pm (no sense getting an expensive place since we basically were just sleeping) but it worked out great as we didn't hit any traffic. My doctor is in the area of Millbrae Blvd. and Rollins Rd. so we went up that way. Thought about taking some pics of the big United planes with that new color scheme right along Bayshore at the corner of the airport but was afraid Homeland Security might think I was a terrorist casing the place out. :)

As a teen and up to 9-11, I use to take my scanner(listen to airport operations) and watch the planes take off and land(I love to fly). During bad weather, the planes use come right at you. Nothing like staring down a 747 flying less than 75 ft over your head. During high tide, my best friend and myself would fish close to those piers that you took pictures of until the coast guard would shoo us away. Always been a rule that you can't approach within 500 ft of those piers. The airport has floats with signs that state this.

Now when I'm home for the weekend in Manteca, i get to watch every so often a plane coming on approach to the Stockton airport.

Mike Leary
03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
The last time I used "skilled trades" , Fred Meyer site had a main leak, they
said, "we'll open it up with our people". I mentioned there mite be wire down
there, they said, "we're pros, we'll do a locate". They hit 40 14 gauge wires,
all 14G.,

Mike Leary
03-28-2007, 08:04 PM
The last time I used "skilled trades" , Fred Meyer site had a main leak, they
said, "we'll open it up with our people". I mentioned there mite be wire down
there, they said, "we're pros, we'll do a locate". They hit 40 14 gauge wires,
all 14G.,

The add-on fun...they trashed the mainline that could have been a easy fix,
however, the 40 strands were THE SAME COLOR! HELLO COMMON WHERE
ARE YOU? Ka-ching for sure, but I hate takin' candy that way.

ed2hess
03-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Please post some pictures of the cut....where you cut, how big and how big of hole. I guess I am trying to gain knowledge here. I have a small leak coming up on a major street from the water in the media. I don't think anybody else noticed it, we just took over.

PurpHaze
03-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I'll take pictures when we start the process. At the present time nobody seems to be in any hurry since a storm just came through and dumped on us. It'll turn hot again and then someone will realize that we need to get on the job. Right now I'm handling routine repair calls, the expansion of a couple of zones in front of a new portable building, R&D for rerouting lines around a pool scoreboard (water polo) and utilities locates on a couple of buildings projects. :)

PurpHaze
04-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Well... Guess we're finally getting closer to starting this repair. Boss asked me this morning to swing by and mark out what I want saw-cut. Picked a distance on each side of where the water was coming up and we'll just have to go from there once we get the patient opened up.

Remote Pigtails
04-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Why not do it all in the asphalt first and maybe avoid braking up a nice looking sidewalk? I'm guessing it is coming up a seam so it could be anywhere.

PurpHaze
04-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Why not do it all in the asphalt first and maybe avoid braking up a nice looking sidewalk? I'm guessing it is coming up a seam so it could be anywhere.

Because I don't have to put it back together after the repairs are done. :)

Actually we'll need the working room for the Bobcat backhoe and it's hard to tell which side (asphalt or concrete) will have the leak since the water was coming up right at the seam. I'm just guessing from my wire tracking as to where/how the main actually runs since I don't have an as-built. Either way, if the leak is upstream or downstream from that point and we can't get to it more will need cutting. I'm suspecting a tee is just upstream but I'm not sure of it.

Mike Leary
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Have fun Purp, keep us posted......live cam?

PurpHaze
04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Maintenance Department saw-cut it today and we're supposed to start removing the asphalt/concrete in the morning. No web-cam (guess I could take my camcorder) but I'll take plenty of pictures as usual.

PurpHaze
04-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Well... the repair work finally started and what a freekin' mess. The area didn't get saw-cut as wide as I'd wanted because they wanted to stay at an expansion joint. We'll resume tomorrow since Maintenance had to come back out late this afternoon and recut the wider area. As suspected... located the leak at a 90. I'm not going to comment on each picture (too damned tired right now) but sure could use Jon's redline for this one. They forced the 90 instead of maintaining a true 90! :dizzy:

PurpHaze
04-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Next 5 pictures.

PurpHaze
04-13-2007, 01:00 AM
Last pictures for today.

Remote Pigtails
04-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Looks like your white lines were dead on.

PurpHaze
04-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Yup... woulda had at least the repair part finished up yesterday if it'd been cut where I'd wanted it cut.

Remote Pigtails
04-13-2007, 08:56 AM
In studying your lines I'm guessing you were thinking three steps ahead. (From my limited posting I figured that out real fast) Gave yourself plenty of room on one side of the ell. The wire tracking helped locate the bend. At least it wasn't a tee.

PurpHaze
04-13-2007, 08:59 AM
While we were at the site we were treated to a parade. :)

PurpHaze
04-13-2007, 09:12 AM
In studying your lines I'm guessing you were thinking three steps ahead. (From my limited posting I figured that out real fast) Gave yourself plenty of room on one side of the ell. The wire tracking helped locate the bend. At least it wasn't a tee.

My boss took the "blame" for not having it cut out all the way to my original lines. He was contacted by Maintenance who wanted to stop at the expansion joint because it would be easier to make the concrete repairs after we are done. But you're right... I took an ell into consideration based on the wire tracking and had planned for that in my markings. Had it been a tee then we would of needed even more concrete cut out.

I'm still mulling over exactly how I want to make the repairs this morning. If I can get enough flex in the 4" line I'll just glue in a new 90 ell with some couplings and maybe even pour a good thrust block. I'll take everything I need with me this morning in the event I can't get enough flex because of the main line entering the sleeve about 5' away. I'm leaning towards glueing in the new 90 ell and then reconnecting the longer pipe with a Dresser coupling which will allow for a little deflection. I can also glue in three 90s and loop back into the main downstream which would insure that all stress is off the main line and there would be no deflection. This is a main line spur for the front of the school and there are no sprinklers larger than Hunter I-20s in any of the zones so I'm not worried about pressure loss through a couple of extra 90s.

Wet_Boots
04-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Ever look to use sweep ells?

BSME
04-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Is there a lot of pressure working in front of that big crowd on the other side of the fence?

gusbuster
04-13-2007, 06:33 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78358&stc=1&d=1176465518

Let me guess, the guy with that piece of PVC pipe, his duty was to make sure that a the house didn't get caught up with either a cable, telephone or electric line.

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Ever look to use sweep ells?

Nope... have never used them.

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Is there a lot of pressure working in front of that big crowd on the other side of the fence?

Yeah... they're a pretty tough crowd to perform for. Sometimes they can be more critical than this forum. :)

The guys that work with me are always telling tall stories like, "We're looking for a troublesome gopher" or "We're putting in a swimming pool" when asked what we're doing. Me... I had a group of about seven that I lined up against the fence from shortest to tallest and then told them they looked like the "signal strength bars" on a cell phone commercial. :laugh:

We'll move on to a main line break in the senior court of a high school come Monday. The guys are looking forward to it for the scenery.

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Let me guess, the guy with that piece of PVC pipe, his duty was to make sure that a the house didn't get caught up with either a cable, telephone or electric line.

Yup... he was pretty good too. Saw him jump a telephone wire down the street after they'd passed us. :)

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 12:35 AM
OK... Finished the repair job. We'll wait until at least Monday before we turn the isolation valve back on. If the predicted cooler weather comes true we may wait until the middle of next week to turn it on and allow more curing of the concrete.

BTW... My boss jumped in and helped out a little on this one. He built the thrust block form (good job!) at the shop and had everything else (concrete, wheelbarrow, burlap, etc.) ready for us for when we returned from an early BBQ lunch out at Ewing.

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Last of the pictures. A BIG thumbs up to Leo and Hogie who handled the concrete removal, excavation and other things so I could concentrate on some other specifics before making the final repair. This weekend I have to CAD up a detail of the backflow enclosure, booster pump and isolation valves and the general area where the repairs were made for future reference. :clapping:

For those wondering why we poured a thrust block when we solvent welded the repair it's because we're unsure if the isolation valve (just 15' upstream) was glued in or was a gasketed type. We figured it was better to pour one and not need it rather than the reverse.

Remote Pigtails
04-14-2007, 12:49 AM
For those wondering why we poured a thrust block when we solvent welded the repair it's because we're unsure if the isolation valve (just 15' upstream) was glued in or was a gasketed type. We figured it was better to pour one and not need it rather than the reverse.

If it's elbowed at both ends of the sleeve you definitely were wise th thrust block.:weightlifter:

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 01:17 AM
If it's elbowed at both ends of the sleeve you definitely were wise th thrust block.:weightlifter:

I'm assuming that the sleeve is only under the asphalt area (20') which is a fire lane entrance. The nearest 90 or tee is probably 250' away. Here's a picture from the other end of the bus lane. The area we repaired is in the far background. The round Christy box in the foreground is actually an irrigation wire make-up box. The area we repaired in the concrete just last year would be behind my position of taking the picture.