PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Husquavarna tractor

CurbAppeal33
03-27-2007, 09:02 AM
I am a home owner and have a husquavarna 48" with a 24hp twin briggs and stratton engine.

I am having trouble losing power after about 15 minutes of running the mower.

This weekend I changed the fuel filter, oil and filter, air filter, and the spark plugs. The problem is still occuring.

After I got everything changed, I started it up and let it run for about 20 minutes. The fuel filter filled up 3/4 full right off the bat, but after running 10 minutes or so, it was back to trickles of gas entering the fuel filter.

I believe that I have something blocking the fuel line from the fuel tank itself.

I was planning on changing the diaphram or regulator (the little black box that a tube leads into from the fuel filter) before I pull the fuel tank off or have someone tear apart my carborator.

And suggestions? I need to have my mower running withing two weeks. THE GRASS IS GREEN!!!!

hotrodsnapper
03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
That sounds like your gas cap is not venting properly. Most gas caps have a vent built into them so that when the engine uses gas out of the tank, air can get in to replace the gas. Otherwise a vacuum builds up and you have what you are describing. Next time you run the mower and it starts to act up, stop and CARFULLY unscrew the gas cap. If this cures it, go buy a new gas cap.

If this doesn't fix it, wait and get some advice and make sure you understand what the cause is BEFORE you tear into the carb. That's a headache well beyond what you have!

The guys and gals in the mechanic and repair section of Lawnsite will be able to help you further. Iíll bet the moderator sees this thread and moves it there. Also, post up the engine and tractor model numbers, that will help greatly.

CurbAppeal33
03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
I think you might be on to something H.R.S. The same night I was doing all this stuff to the mower to try to get it to work, I called my buddy and he said to take the gas cap off. I did that and the mower did run better, but the fuel filter only filled back up between 1/4 and 1/2 full. But at least I could actually see gas in there instead of a light trickle.

It definitely help when I removed my gas cap.

Should the fuel filter be filling up all the way?

grassmedics
03-31-2007, 08:25 AM
I had this problem happen to me, and it was a bunch of hair like material inside the gas tank. might want to take the tank off and the carb to make sure nothing is inside blocking.

CurbAppeal33
04-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the response. The gas cap did not fix the problem. My brother-in-law has said the next step be the diapham or regulator. It is the little black box that the fuel filter connects to before running into the carb.

I do think that I have to take off the gas tank because I think it is clogged as well.

To do that do you have to take off the entire orange metal body??? The way I am looking at it, that seems to be the only way.

All of your responses are appreciated... I have 3 acres of grass that about needs mowed. Definitely next week.

hotrodsnapper
04-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Have you gotten this fixed? I'm curious, and posting up the resolution will help future surfers. Was it clogged in the gas tank or did it involve the fuel pump or carb?

CurbAppeal33
04-11-2007, 12:44 PM
No it is not fixed yet!!! I have done the following. New fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, looked at the diapham (check valve), and I cleaned the plunger on the bottom of the carb. ( it wasn't sticking)

I tested the fuel cap and that wasn't the problem. The only thing I have left is the emptying the fuel tank and cleaning it. But my buddy that was helping me doubts that is what the problem is because the fuel was coming through the fuel line pretty steadlily.

What do you guys think? I am running out of time. Thank god it is snowing here right now and I think it just bought me another week.

Thanks to all who answer....

Bill Kapaun
04-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Maybe an ignition coil is getting "sick" as it heats up.
Does it seem like one cylinder is quitting?

mverick
04-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Take it to a mechanic. He'll fix it quick. You've tried all normal things.

CurbAppeal33
04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Yes it does sounds like I lose a cylinder. I can just tell that power is not what it should be.

The fuel filter is not filling up at all

inspector gadget
04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
I would still pull the tank and clean. then you can run a flow test. if the mower is older replacing the fuel lines would be a good idea as they can seperate on the inside and restrict the flow. if neither works i'm afraid you're going to the shop.

Bill Kapaun
04-25-2007, 05:36 PM
BK-"Maybe an ignition coil is getting "sick" as it heats up.
Does it seem like one cylinder is quitting?"

You- "Yes it does sounds like I lose a cylinder. I can just tell that power is not what it should be. "

Maybe check the spark when you are having the problem?
Pull the plugs and see if one looks "dirtier"? (or LOOK at the old ones?)

inspector gadget
04-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Another option to rule out a fuel problem is to install a temporary tank so you can run the mower and see if the problem is still there or it goes away.

This will help you to determine where to go next. If the temporary tank setup does clear it up great then you deal with tanks, lines, and filter.

If not you can pickup an ignition/spark plug tester that clips on so you can check spark. On some mower if the voltage drops below 12 volts the coil will not fire correctly! You can also run a resistance test on the coil cold and then when hot. You can run a compression test cold and hot.

Good Luck let me know what your test shows and maybe I can give you better guidance

Restrorob
04-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Don't worry about the amount of fuel in the filter ! The paper element inside acts as a wick, It need not be full or even half full to run.

I have seen everything done except what may be the only problem....

Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then re-assemble.