PDA

View Full Version : Solo 106L Line Trimmer

Pristine PM
03-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Hi guys, anyone using one? The price looks good, and I have a dealer close by and another dealer by my farm, so I am not worried about support. What would you compare them too? How durable are they running them 40 hours a week?

Thanks,

Jon

Pristine PM
03-27-2007, 10:09 PM
sorry, I am going to try bumping this a few times until hopefully someone who has this trimmer see's the post. It gets lost way to fast on such an active board.

Thanks,

Jon

byoung
03-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Sorry if this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but IMHO just about anything I've tried from Solo is well made, reliable, and engineered a little bit ahead of most other 'big' companies.

I don't have a trimmer at present (I use echo), but as soon as I need a new one, I will be going with Solo. My BP blowers (4 now, 470, 471, 2x472) are simply the best I've ever used. I really couldn't say enough about them. I also have other equipment from Stihl, Echo, Husq and Redmax. Most of it is good too... But given the fact that the Solo stuff is just that little (and sometimes a LOT!) bit better, with a better price and so far more reliable across the board, I'm sold. Maybe it's the German make or being a smaller company or whatever, I don't know....

For instance, it's really a toss up which is stronger, the 'Max 8000 or the Solo 472, but I find the 472 easier to use, lighter and quieter, which decides it for me... I do like the 8000 a lot (how would you not?) but why carry the extra weight and put up with the MUCH more noise when it's about the same power? It's this sort of thing that I think Solo does really well.... And the 471 is actually a little stronger than my BR600, and again, just seems better made with the same advantages I listed.

I've read too about some people's concerns about less dealer support, which is I suppose something to think about... But there is no dealer near me, and I just call the company direct or email. I get quick replies or talk directly to the Head tech guy and end up with actual, useful info... I prefer to do my own maintenance anyway. Also parts are really easy and quick to get. I know Stihl and Echo etc. have dealers all over the place, but for me at least, going often to a close-by dealer is really not all that attractive an option. My Br600 seemed like it needed to go in every other week, and I'd usually have to leave the Echo 'until someone can take a look at it'... So far, I haven't actually had any maintenance issues with the Solo stuff!

Besides, that dealer-only thing that some of the big names do is just a scam to keep prices high, I think.

Just my 2cents...