PDA

View Full Version : Is a 34" or 36" ZTR a bad idea?

conger
03-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm just starting out, and my primary mower is a 36" Scag walk behind. I find it hard to get a consitent cut with it. I don't want to lose customers because of a bad mower. I have seen the 34" Toro, and the 36" Scag Tiger Cub ZTR mowers, and I like both. Are they too small for future growth? Will they fit through most residential gates? Any advice is appreciated.

J&R Landscaping
03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
How old is the Scag mower? It sounds like you might need to get the deck leveled or check and make sure the tire pressure is even on both sides.

Some people on Ls, like the smaller ZTR mowers. Yes, they are a decent idea but I myself can't see spending thast much money on a ztr with that small of a deck. You might consider looking into a new machine or take yours in and get it looked at. It might be a simple problem that is easy to fix. If not, you can get a new 32 or 36" gear drive wb mower for $2300-$2700 in most areas.

blakeg314
03-27-2007, 01:33 PM
its up to you, they may fit in the back yards, but what about your bigger lawns? its gonna take you awhile but will still cut the time in half from your walkbehind, look at a 44" if you wanted to stay small, my next mower- 61"

ProStreetCamaro
03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
We love our Gravely 34Z. Our 36" Scag WB cuts like crap and we only use it on hills. Then again we are 2 guys so I take the Tank M48 and do the larger areas and my father uses the 34Z on the smaller areas. The 34Z will do circles around a 36" WB on large areas and will keep right with it on small tight lawns. Just remember you will not be able to do hills with the 34Z unless your willing to drive up and back down, drive up and back down over and over untill the hill is done.

conger
03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I didn't know that about the hills. Yeah, my Scag is cutting a little rough. I am thinking about buying a commercial Honda push mower as well. If I had that and the ZTR, I could handle most jobs, don't you think?

PearceLawn
03-27-2007, 01:59 PM
My second year in business was done entirely with a 44" Toro ZTR and a 21" commercial Honda.

ProStreetCamaro
03-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I didn't know that about the hills. Yeah, my Scag is cutting a little rough. I am thinking about buying a commercial Honda push mower as well. If I had that and the ZTR, I could handle most jobs, don't you think?

I would think so. Alot depends on how many gated yards that you have that you wouldnt be able to fit a 44 ztr though. If you dont have many maybe a 44 and a 21 would be your best option. If you have alot of gates then the 34 would suit you well. I just cleaned our two main mowers up if you want to see what the 34Z looks like from somebody that owns one? I can take a couple pictures for you.

fiveoboy01
03-27-2007, 02:35 PM
I just wouldn't spend the $ on such a small Z, UNLESS I had a ton of large gated backyards which I needed to get through the gate to mow.

As far as the cut problems, are you keeping the blades sharp? Also, mowing in changing conditions will affect the cut quality.

If you're looking at a different mower, the TriVantage deck on the Exmarks Turf Tracer HPs and the Turbo Force on the Toros get high marks for good-cutting walk behind mowers.

The Captain
03-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree with the earlier posts. Look at the adjustments or blade shrpening. I run only Skags and have gotten great looking cuts from my Turf Tiger and 48" wb. I was (still am) looking at the Z-Cat 36" for a few of my accounts. My main concern is the weight of the "Z" and me (650# more than the 36" wb). On shady & moist lawns, I'm afraid of making the rutting problem worse.

Good luck.....

lowballer17
03-27-2007, 05:04 PM
fenced. Get a Gravely 34z. will go through most gates.

conger
03-27-2007, 07:11 PM
I put a brand new set of blades on the mower last week. It's aggrivating, because it cuts one yard beautifully, and the next looks like someone's been riding their ATV in the yard. If anyone has pictures of their 34" or 36", I'd love to see them. Thanks again.

ed2hess
03-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Are you running a fixed deck? We have absolutely no problem with our 36" Scag hydro with floating deck. Maybe you have a blade speed problem, caused by a spindle seizing, or a clutch that is slipping, or an idler that is dragging. We probably cut same kind of grass...bermuda/st augustine.