PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice

fool32696
03-27-2007, 02:21 PM
I've been mowing for a number of years and after being asked to do landscape jobs over and over I finally decided to take one and make some extra money. The yard is probably a quarter acre and has some beds along the front and some all along the fence in the back yard. I'm giving a price on edging beds, pulling weeds, installing a few azaleas under her oaks up front, triming back hedges and plants, and finally installing mulch. I used one of the roller tools (name?) that measures feet and there is about 420ft of beds to be edged. Seems high but I'd say there is no more than 1400-1500 sq ft of beds. I figured on 15yds of pine bark mulch that I can get for $19/yd delivered. My estimate is $1300, probably low for a pro but I don't feel like I have the experience to charge highly, though I'm confident that I can do a very good job on this project. I figure on an 8hr day with a helper to get all of the trimming and cleanup done and then the better part of another day to get the mulch down by myself. Materials would be around $350 and that leaves 950 for labor. I'm supposed to call the lady back tonight with a price. If you don't have anything to add to the thread please don't waste your time and mine by bashing. Thanks in advance

nick-bigfootlawn
03-27-2007, 05:46 PM
15 yds of mulch for a 1/4 acre lawn seems like an awful lot, but the price seems fair.

Focal Point Landscapes
03-27-2007, 10:59 PM
On a longer term , only you know how much money you need to make to cover expenses and make a profit - but considering that you need to build a portfolio of landscaping experience , you certainly won't lose money on this. I think that there is long term value in the experience that can't be measured in dollars and cents . As you gain experience and expertise , you can command a higher price . Be sure and take before and after pictures . Good luck - I hope you get the job.