PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 521

Mike Leary
03-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Are we o.k. when tracking a wire from the clock to locate a valve hooking
the 521 ground wire into the green ground off the transformer? Thanks.

londonrain
03-27-2007, 07:17 PM
The 521 works the best if you disconnect the field wire and the common from the controller and hook directly on the field wire....

Mike Leary
03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Ground to the transformer ground o.k.? Thanx londonrain.

londonrain
03-27-2007, 07:47 PM

I don't think it would be the best way to trace a field wire since it would possibly send a signal through all the field wires at the same time and send you on a wild guessing path....

I have shocked myself twice in 2 days using the 521:cry:

Mjtrole
03-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Grounding to the transformer ground will pick up Everything that is grounded, best to stick to the "hot" wire you are looking for, if its a big problem to locate the valve mark your path with some flags and then go back to the start and follow your markings but this time hold the wand parrallel with the wire route and the tracker will signal when there is a connection.

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 10:02 PM
When working from the controller I disconnect the field and common wires so I don't get a looped transmission through a completed circuit and just limit my location to the wire I'm looking for. I never ground the 521 to the green controller ground wire, rather to something else metallic nearby that is grounded and I get a very good signal then. If it's an outside controller on a wall or in a pump enclosure then I'll ground it like normal into the earth. If my controller is indoors and I can't seem to get a good ground inside I'll actually take a piece of 14 gauge wire to extend the ground to earth outside. Has worked well for me over the years.

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 10:28 PM
On a different note... I always make sure that the signal indicator level is between the recommended #4 and #8. Sometimes this means jabbing the grounding probe deep into the soil while other times I barely have it in the soil. Can't always accomplish this with an inside ground point though.

In this picture I went off the controller's common wire with an earth ground probe. I was able to get a strong signal even through the concrete in an attempt to trace the wire path and probable main line. The slash in the right of the picture was for the triangulation depth which is usually pretty accurate.

Dirty Water
03-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Its always nice when the controller is mounted next to a waterheater, or any other sort of plumbing that you know is properly grounded :)

If I'm out in the field, a 12" screwdriver in the ground works just fine as well.

bicmudpuppy
03-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Should be very little difference between using the green ground in the controller and any other part of the house ground. That being said, I agree w/ Haze. Getting a seperate earth ground is the best answer. Remove the wire being tracked from the controller. No way around this to get a reliable signal. Again, we have all skipped this step at some point, but usually, you end up doing it right. Dead short solenoids that don't "ring" can be found by connecting the 521 ground to the common after you have located the wire path. You will get a fuzzy or null signal until you pass the valve where the power wire stops. Also, if you have a wire that just doesn't sound "right" when your tracking, reverse your connection. Ground the red and connect the black ground to the wire being traced.

PurpHaze
03-27-2007, 10:54 PM
If I'm out in the field, a 12" screwdriver in the ground works just fine as well.

Ours came with a grounding probe which is basically a screwdriver sharpened to a point on the end.

Mike Leary
03-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the threads..yes, clock is in a garage. I think I will run a shunt
wire outdoors.

londonrain
03-28-2007, 05:57 PM
521 is a nice piece of equipment but the Pulser is the ticket. We found 3 bad wires today on two different sites. One was a job we did 11 years ago and a zone just died. It turned out to be a fault in the single strand from the factory that had taken 11 years to fail. The pulser pin pointed the bad wire. The outer sheathing was still intact on the wire until I pulled on the wire and it came apart. The other was a job I inherited that is less than a year old and had two bad wire spots.
They tried to put two small wire nuts in one DBY and the wires corroded because they did not even get pushed into the grease and had bad connections.

Mike Leary
03-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Is the Pulsar a Progressive Electronics product?

londonrain
03-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Is the Pulsar a Progressive Electronics product?Yes it is....

PurpHaze
03-28-2007, 08:53 PM
521 Locator for locating the wire path and depth, Pulsar for locating ground faults. :)

Mike Leary
03-28-2007, 08:57 PM
521 Locator for locating the wire path and depth, Pulsar for locating ground faults. :)

Jeez, I love this site.