PDA

View Full Version : I know why.....

scchamblee
03-27-2007, 06:04 PM
I am not a mechanic!!!! Since I didn't have any jobs this afternoon so I decided to start workin on my weed whacker I ran over and bent the shaft on. It took me all afternoon to get the old shaft out of it so that I could order a new one. It is now apart and in about twenty pieces, when the new shaft comes in we will see if I can put it all back together.

Amazing that a small piece of metal 1/4" diam and bout 2' long is $40. I am in the wrong business!!!!

scagwildcat
03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
i found with trimmers is cheaper to just buy a new one and keep the old one for parts.....

AbsoluteH&L
03-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree. Just get new. What do you have?

ed2hess
03-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Usually plenty of used ones at dealers and a lot of times they are pretty new. On Echo you have to take out the platic shield inside the tube as well as th flex cable. Unfortunately the hard part is transferring all the stuff but it isn't bad.

scchamblee
03-27-2007, 08:05 PM
John Deere XT140SB... it is a split boom like the Stihl Kombi sytem.

AbsoluteH&L
03-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm not sold on that split shaft thing yet. I have no back ground on JD trimmers so I can't help yah there either.

scchamblee
04-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I finally got the right shaft in and got it put on today... had to JBweld the clutch housing back together but it is runnin like a new one! I spent 50 bucks on the new shaft and it is back runnin, so I figure I came out alright on the deal.

1cooltreeguy
04-10-2007, 08:25 PM
I finally got the right shaft in and got it put on today... had to JBweld the clutch housing back together but it is runnin like a new one! I spent 50 bucks on the new shaft and it is back runnin, so I figure I came out alright on the deal.

OK - so nex time go buy the same trimmer and used the damaged one for replacement parts. Good luck and save time.